What gigabit router?

hi, want to upgrade my sky sagemcom 2504n router to a gigabit. used to have the blue/black  linkys and dable with tomato. but not too fussed about custom fm anymore. just looking for a reliable high performance router. not too fussed about cost. for home use.

can anyone recommended a good one for me?

thank you. 

Take a look at the Asus RT-AC68U, upgraded my home router to this recently and so far it's all been good. Easily handling 12 wireless devices and my PC/NAS on a wired connection. Firmware updates seen to be fairly frequent as well.

All depends on how important wireless is for you. Asus has good stuff nowadays though, can't go wrong with those.

Netgear R7000. The range on that thing is amazing! Firmware is ugly and not too user friendly but how often you have to setup those things...

Why not build a PFsense box and get some ubiquity access points? You can get a couple decent N ones for 125 for 2 pack on amazon :)

I might get a couple of those myself!

Why not build a PFsense box and get some ubiquity access points? You can get a couple decent N ones for 125 for 2 pack on amazon :)

I might get a couple of those myself!

Why complicate something that doesn't need to be.

• Like 2

Another vote for RT-AC68U with Merlin firmware.

I've got 21 wireless devices connected, is always stable. But I don't use the 5Ghz, only 2.4Ghz, range is  better.

have Asus released their own drivers for the wlan for open firmware now? otherwise I wouldn't recommend third party firmware on them, even the marlin, sure you get more features and "power", but you cut at least 50% of the range of the router.

Why complicate something that doesn't need to be.

So you won't outgrowit...

So you won't outgrowit..

it's his home not a corporate office. I guarantee my home network is more demanding this his by a long shot, still runs fine with two Asus black knights(one broken ish) and two small switches.

it's his home not a corporate office. I guarantee my home network is more demanding this his by a long shot, still runs fine with two Asus black knights(one broken ish) and two small switches.

Non-sense, you obviously need a Cisco 3800, or you might as well stop using the internet.

I wouldn't call using true AP over complicating anything.  Having your AP being a couple of antennas off your router has never been anything close to optimal layout.  Router normally sits on a desk, sometimes even below it.  Lucky if its up on top a shelf or something.

But this is rare that that location where you internet comes in being the optimal location.

Placement of the AP(s) is key no matter if the network is home, work, school, coffee shop, etc..  When it comes to setting up your network - wanting everything in 1 tiny box, your router your switch and your wifi is a compromise from the get go when it comes to performance and features.

You can setup a great little network with very low end budget..  Get a decent switch, some good AP and box to be your router can be done on home budget for sure.

I wouldn't call using true AP over complicating anything.  Having your AP being a couple of antennas off your router has never been anything close to optimal layout.  Router normally sits on a desk, sometimes even below it.  Lucky if its up on top a shelf or something.

But this is rare that that location where you internet comes in being the optimal location.

Placement of the AP(s) is key no matter if the network is home, work, school, coffee shop, etc..  When it comes to setting up your network - wanting everything in 1 tiny box, your router your switch and your wifi is a compromise from the get go when it comes to performance and features.

You can setup a great little network with very low end budget..  Get a decent switch, some good AP and box to be your router can be done on home budget for sure.

100% Agree with this.

Everything in one box will always equal compromise.

I much prefer a modem, a router, a switch and an access point.

Then I can get the equipment that suits your needs best in each area.

You also get full flexibility on the config of each bit

If I was to change from a DSL to a fibre setup, I only need replace the modem not the whole unit.... etc etc.

(Currently I run a Draytek 120 ADSL modem, a Cisco 861 ISR, 2x 8 Port HP Procurve 1800-8G and a HP MSM 460)

Cheers gents... It was actually you Budman who advised me to get my linkys gear all those years ago! Lol.

Lots of great ideas and I was looking at these Asus routers and considering the ddwrt route! Don't flame me, but if I was to get an all in one, but would be the best option? Lol. OK just thinking of of my ocd regards cables and unit space etc. Sorry guys

Well I have not used a soho router in YEARS..  I could never go back to such limit power..  Be like expecting someone who has been driving nothing but top of the line Ferrari's for last 10 years and say here you go this smart car is the same thing.. Gets you from point a to b..

This would prob be the min I would suggest for a router.. http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/

AS to your OCD, its called cable managment.  With a true AP that you mount in your ceiling there would be no wires.

Switch - I would say this.  http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-SG300-10-10-port-Gigabit-SRW2008-K9-NA/dp/B0041ORN6U

AP I would go with http://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/ be it the pro or normal one if budget. 

Sorry but this would be a min setup that I would do.. If your not going to go with this level of hardware then go to the computer store - pickup one that says gig on it and there you go..  Works!

Without knowing what your clients wifi is - have no idea what to suggest to be honest, do you have 5ghz clients?  Do you have AC..  What do you have that you think you need gig.. Not going to do you any good if you don't have gig hardwired clients?  How many wifi clients do you have?  How big is your house?  What is the make up of the walls, do you have multiple floors?

Your under $400 for that setup btw..  Whats current top of the line soho cost you ~ $200 http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00F0DD0I6

Here you go $300 but without knowing what your clients are??  How many of them? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KWHMR6G/ref=psdc_300189_t1_B00F0DD0I6

I think the Asus RT-AC68U is quite a good choice. I personally should have went with something like it.

I personally have the Linksys WRT1900AC and while it's a pretty solid router and I love it, you can't put custom firmware or any opensource on it. It's very stable, compared to the old routers I had before that. It also seems like there are known DNS issues on some firmware versions but I didn't have those issues.

All depends on how important wireless is for you. Asus has good stuff nowadays though, can't go wrong with those.

In fact, so does (surprisingly) Netgear - you just want to move to the WNDR or better series of gigabit routers.

For most households, the need for fancy features (such as support for 802.11ac) is usually due to a single device that supports it.  However, any device that supports 802.11ac SHOULD at least support 802.11n (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, or both) - any device that supports ONLY ac should never have shipped.

I have a Netgear WNDR3700 v4 - it's basically Netgear's new home-router floor, despite support for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz N, and retention of support for G.  It shares the same basic exterior design of the predecessor WNDR3700 (and 3400 and 3300 routers in the WNDR series).  It can mount either flat or stand on-end (the stand is included) and can cover a two story house from the basement + external areas - mine does exactly that.  It supports two wired desktops, one wireless laptop, one wireless notebook, two smartphones, and two SAMSUNG Smart TVs that support inbound streaming - all at once.  Of the wireless hardware, only the laptop is G - everything else wireless uses N.)

Reliable as sunrise - definitely something not usually said of Netgear.  (However, this router uses a standard chipset - not an alien one like previous Netgear routers.)

The firmware has more features than most home users will ever need (it HAS a guest-account option - however, due to lack of guests, I locked this feature out).

I have full IPv4 and IPv6 support - to everything that supports it.

It's a home network lol.

No its a "network" its location is little point to the conversation at hand.  Why should your "home" network suck ass when good hardware with good feature sets can be had for "home" budget??

You may be willing to have a ###### ass setup, some of us are not. 

How many devices does your typical home have these days?  I have 15 some wifi devices alone..  Spread all over the home, should the AP sit under my desk where the cable modem is - or should the AP be properly placed to cover the house?  With 15 some devices, not counting guest devices that come over - should the wifi be some ###### soho router or a decent AP??

Your typical home is streaming video/audio to multiple devices.