Game loading on consoles

I'm currently at a gaming center that has multiple Xboxes (360 and one) and multiple PlayStations (3&4). Recently I tried playing grand theft auto v on Xbox 360 and had problems with loading. The game wanted to install, and it wouldn't install on the built in hard drive. I got an external hard drive and about 45 minutes to an hour later, the game was installed but then the controller wouldn't respond in the game.

As I write this, I'm now trying to play the same game on PS4 and it's only 15% installed after almost an hour.

Why is it taking so long to load these games? I played Call of Duty on an Xbox and it started right up with no delay.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you played CoD on a 360. Only very few games required an install on the last gen consoles, while the current gen games all seem to require installs.

As for why its taking so long to install, it seems to be mostly down to the game itself. Some titles install way faster on PS4, some on the One and some install faster without an internet connection. I know it's painful, but unfortunately this is the new normal and we're stuck with it.

• Like 1

I haven't played GTA this gen, but most of my PS4 games will play pretty quick even after just starting the install off disc.  I think Unity (surprise!) has been the exception to that.  

I mentioned the install issues I was experiencing to the staff and they said "our internet isn't that great." I thought perhaps it was trying to download something from the internet directly onto the console.

I went back the next day and played CoD:AW on PS4. That didn't have any problems except for significant lag at certain points. I assume though that someone else must have just waited the 2+ hours for it to install.

Does the number of games and profiles already on the console have any affect on install and loading?

snip

(For the Xbox One at least) The installation packaging system is quite questionable as well seeing as even with a 5,400RPM HDD @ SATA-II it does not take as long as it does to physically copy the amount of data over that interface on a PC. Some games must either be incredibly compressed or they're doing something very inefficient with the file structure (e.g. no large container formats etc). I can't believe it's purely a hardware issue.

Edited by Andrew

I mentioned the install issues I was experiencing to the staff and they said "our internet isn't that great." I thought perhaps it was trying to download something from the internet directly onto the console.

I went back the next day and played CoD:AW on PS4. That didn't have any problems except for significant lag at certain points. I assume though that someone else must have just waited the 2+ hours for it to install.

Does the number of games and profiles already on the console have any affect on install and loading?

2 hours?  From disc?

I don't play CoD, but wasn't the last one (whatever came out in 2013) able to be played while installing after just a couple of minutes?

Grand Theft Auto V on Xbox One is what was taking (or seemed like it was going to take) over 2 hours to install from disc. I gave up on it and switched to CoD on PS4.

The reason the install was taking so long on the xbox one was because during install it talks to the internet constantly to download any updates. If it finds updates, it stops installing locally and focuses on downloading the update. If you unplug ethernet before installing, It'll install within minutes. Since you also said their internet sucks, that probably also didn't help during install because GTA has had a few patches and they aren't small.

It would seem like the opposite should happen; install from the disc and then update. At least now I know what was going on in the event I encounter this again.