Samsung Warns Their TVs Can Spy On You

Samsung is warning customers about discussing personal information in front of their smart television set.

The warning applies to TV viewers who control their Samsung Smart TV using its voice activation feature.

Such TV sets "listen" to some of what is said in front of them and may share details they hear with Samsung or third parties, it said.

Privacy campaigners said the technology smacked of the telescreens, in George Orwell's 1984, which spied on citizens.

link to sorce

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31296188

how is this any different than say, cortana, siri, etc.?

From what I can tell, it isn't. Some people just don't seem to realise that having voice controls means that there is a recording device that can and will record what you say, so it needs to be reiterated for each and every device that comes along.

I think people are getting tripped up on the phrase "listen in"... the mic is always listening in for speech it recognizes... people seem to think this is some back door NSA device that records everything you do 24/7 for parsing by a gov agency or samsungs evil men in black...

how is this any different than say, cortana, siri, etc.?

sorry :(  i was only reporting on a news artical it was either me or one of the neowin reporters.

I think people are getting tripped up on the phrase "listen in"... the mic is always listening in for speech it recognizes... people seem to think this is some back door NSA device that records everything you do 24/7 for parsing by a gov agency or samsungs evil men in black...

I remember when I showed my father the greatness of voice activated google on his Windows 8 Carbon X1 --

He didn't like the idea of it "always listening".... that guy watches a lot of Fox News....you do the math. LOL

for what its worth, Infowars is reporting on it from a guardian UK internet new post HERE.

i mean the tech is great but samsung admits your conversations are sent to 3rd parties. that's NOT good. your home is your private space.

for what its worth, Infowars is reporting on it from a guardian UK internet new post HERE.

i mean the tech is great but samsung admits your conversations are sent to 3rd parties. that's NOT good. your home is your private space.

with anything on info-wars, its general knowledge to listen to what they say, and know the exact opposite is what you should be feeling.

Well yes this is disturbing. 

I am sure people realise that voice activation means that it is listening but that doesn't mean it has to record and then has to pass that recording on to third parties. 

It's okay since citzen's won't do anything about this and consumers don't care about their privacy we will just have to wait till someone plans a murder in front of one of these and police discover that it was recorded but Samsung didn't pass it on, then they get sued and realise its too much liability to have it record and disable it...

Meh.

A part of me is thinking, "Like my Living Room has anything interesting going on in it".

Another part of me thinks, "Hey, but it's MY Living room".

Then one more part wants Ice Cream and forgets the whole thing.

• Like 3

with anything on info-wars, its general knowledge to listen to what they say, and know the exact opposite is what you should be feeling.

I have to admit, once in a while they actually find a real story. but over time, I have become less then enthusiastic on some topics. but if they have an actual external link that make the infowar story legit, then ok.. that's credible I think.