Best fan configuration - small case, radiator

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which option

• Option 1
    • Option 2
    • Option 3
    • Option 4

I am building up my new PC, based around a Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 case with a Corsair H100i sealed watercooling heasink and radiator.

There's quite some varied options that I have seen for cooling, I've put together 3 workable solutions for me, and would appreciate some feedback on what the mass-mind at Neowin thinks is optimal.  Obviously the PSU fans are immovable in this idea.

Option 1:

Cool air in from the front (over the GPU) and back (over the mobo/ram/processor) and hot air out of the top via the radiator.

This seems to keep the "Pressure" people happy, as the same number of intakes as exhausts.  I know cool air at the back is a little different, but it kinda makes sense.

Option 2:

Cool air in from the front (over the GPU) and and hot air out of the top via the radiator and the back.

Seems more "standard" I guess. There's significantly greater exhaust than there is intake.

Option 3:

Cool air in from the front (over the GPU) and down through the radiator - hot air out of back.

Again, the pressure is uneven, and this is non standard, but... Well the radiator is kept cool, thus the processor is kept cool.  The rear should allow sufficient exhaust for hot air.

Option 4:

Cool air in from the front over the radiator.  Hot air expelled through the top and the back.

Hmmmm, different again.  Keeps the radiator (and thus the CPU) cool, but there's hot airflow over the ram and mobo.

Opinions please :)  Thanks

post-21654-0-54584700-1423519510.jpg

post-21654-0-36288400-1423519518.jpg

post-21654-0-10860600-1423519527.jpg

post-21654-0-48321500-1423519533.jpg

You can move the radiator to the front if your case if it allows for it.

Otherwise, the hot air on top is getting out. Remember heat rises? You want to get the air out of there. Air comes in through the bottom and back of most cases, so it's not all just hot air in there.

• Like 1

I have an i5 3570, overclocked to 4.5, and I never get above 60 on load. Although I do have a H80i in there.

Mine is set up like option 4 without the top fans because of lazyness/dont really need it.  I have 4770k @ 4.2GHz watercooled with a corsair h105 and gpu is a GTX970.  CPU stays under 60C and GPU while gaming is 55-75C depending on which fan profile I use.

• Like 1

I would go with Option 2:

Suck in air at the front and blow out the back and up.

Hot air rises, so having the fans on top blow air out makes sense to me.

The fan on the CPU usually blows the air to the back, so having a fan there to blow the air out looks good for me.

This would be the setup I'd go with.

My machine is configured like option, but swap the up arrow on the PSU to down. The main aim is to have consistent air flow, as in one direction. I'd set it up as option 4, and ensure you have good cable management inside the case, maximising the free space inside. (The more free space that isn't taken up by cables all over the place, the better)

Hot air rises, so having the fans on top blow air out makes sense to me.

Even when it means blowing hot air over the cooling radiator for a closed watercooling system?

My machine is configured like option

Which?

Even when it means blowing hot air over the cooling radiator for a closed watercooling system?

Which?

Sorry, option 4. I could have sworn I typed the number 4! Clearly my brain and fingers cannot communicate correctly together.

• Like 1

Genuinely surprised this has only had a handful or replies.

Maybe I should post about Kanye West or finding girls passed out...

lots of people who would participate are in North America and just getting to work now.    give it time.

but yeah, not sure what else you expect.  option 4 for sure.

• Like 1

And then I find that the radiator doesn't actually fit frontwards.

Doh

Option 2 it is then. You want cool air to enter through the front and sides - this is a common setup. 

• Like 1

Yup, already built now :)  Went with option 2.  Am going to upgrade from the corsair fans to some more Noctua ones (as the front) to match those I installed at the top.  Mmmm silence!

Yup, already built now :)  Went with option 2.  Am going to upgrade from the corsair fans to some more Noctua ones (as the front) to match those I installed at the top.  Mmmm silence!

I'm sorry, but there is not enough cooler air coming in with just one intake fan. Not very efficient cooling. 

Option 4, you want the radiator as an intake and mounting it at the top wouldn't necessarily not work but it would be inefficient.

I'd go for opt 2 but with one small change two fans at the front instead of just the one more cool air in is what you want