Parents Reportedly Throwing

Oh lord, what could possibly go wrong with that... what's next, bringing back leeches?  As an old fart who's never had measles, mumps or chicken pox I almost have a possibly irrational feeling that it's borderline bioterrorism heh, I understand it can be fairly dangerous for adults who've never had it. 

• Like 3

This is a revival of a stupid practice used to expose kids to not just measles but chicken pox etc. I remember them back when I was a kid - well over 50 years ago. The idea was to get their having measles etc. "over with", often before school started.

Now common among the anti-vaccine crowd, you see people on FB looking for one to take their kids to.

Idiots.

Look, if you've opted to not vaccinate your kids, then you're already abusing them in my mind.  The autism link and all the arguments that anti-vaccinators put forth are pure nonsense.  Science isn't up for debate here, and the only people who think it are are the morons who don't understand, yet feel it's right to gamble with their children's wellbeing.

As such, anything they do doesn't shock me - it simply re-emphasises how they slap each other's backs, convince themselves they "know better" (with no scientific basis other than Moms.net) and should be held accountable for the abuse they are inflicting not only on their children but potentially the class/school/populace as a whole!

Stupid practices coupled with lack of knowledge and stupid attitude.

Measles vaccination are decisively reported that works to build the immune system against measles,
AND how that vaccines was made are well documented.

Measles vaccines are not to be lumped together with dubious vaccine like Gardasil or Cervarix that need to be tested on 3rd world population in last few years.

the practice has persisted among some parents who are skeptical about following the government

Look, if you've opted to not vaccinate your kids, then you're already abusing them in my mind. 

Abuse is a bit of a stretch, after all, people did live for hundreds of thousands of years without vaccines of any kind. I wouldn't call it abusive to want to live naturally, inadvisable maybe.

Abuse is a bit of a stretch, after all, people did live for hundreds of thousands of years without vaccines of any kind. I wouldn't call it abusive to want to live naturally, inadvisable maybe.

Back then, people only lived till about 50, too.

Do these idiots not realize that measles can kill or cause permanent damage?

No.

Or they think autism is worse.  Got defriended last night by an autism mom who has gone all-in on anti-vaxxing, but not before she replied to a post on FB that she'd rather take the chance of her younger son getting hurt than have to go through another autistic child.

While I know it's not easy, my sympathies only run so deep when you dehumanize your kid, take a second child's life in your hands, not to mention all the kids around them.

Kids too young or already immunocompromised who depend on the herd immunity beg to differ,

• Like 3

Back then, people only lived till about 50, too.

That's been proven to be false many times. Just look up how old Ben Franklin was when he died.

Kids too young or already immunocompromised who depend on the herd immunity beg to differ,

Those kids well-being is the responsibility of their parents, not other children's parents.

If you understand how natural selection works you'll know humans with innate resistance did indeed survive many of the plagues and diseases gone, but millions died to get to where we are.

Why subject millions of children dying just so we can try and manufacture a selective gene pool/resistance from specific breeding when we now don't have to with cures that will allow those with less fortunate genes to survive?

It's madness. Modern medicine is giving many a chance to live who would have died hundreds of years ago. Those who died during the plagues and wide outbreaks of disease would be horrified that there are some these days willing to play russian roulette with their children when we know better in our times.

Thankfully for us in the EU most of this disregard for humanity is stemming largely from America. I do too think denying your children vaccination from some of the most deadly diseases should potentially be examined in court/by law. Religious reasons hold no grounds. Anti-scientific reasons need to show compelling evidence, and unfounded claims or substantial claims about autism require substantial evidence. America doesn't exist in a bubble, so those claiming such claims have to show evidence globally.

Those who died during all of these outbreaks didn't choose to live naturally, they simply didn't know any better and didn't have modern medicine.

• Like 4

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, your government is here to help.

<snip>

Association != causation. The use of many foods, snacks, meds etc. have increased over the same 30+ year time frame. You could just as easily say autism is caused by Skittles since they came out in 1979.

I guess these idiot parents would do sleep over party with HIV people, so they can develop their immunization to HIV as well? ....

I'm going to guess a decent amount of these parents believe HIV is a punishment from God aimed solely at homosexuals...

Hundreds of thousands of years is NOT 300 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy#Life_expectancy_variation_over_time

There's arguably little difference. Modern medicine didn't exist in 1770AD just as much as it didn't exist in 1770BC.

When a person's methods of raising their children put others at risk, it's a problem.

Hmm...well maybe we should tell all these young men who get their women pregnant to stop doing that too because raising a child as a single mother is far worse for society, IMO, than not vaccinating your children.

Thankfully for us in the EU most of this disregard for humanity is stemming largely from America.

I don't want to understand the anti science crowd.  I'm probably not the most intelligent person on the planet but how you can get so dense as to believe the entire planet is lying to you is beyond me.

And yes, it's one of the reasons I don't respect America either.  At least usually I believe progress is being made despite the mass stupidity.

• Like 2