Parents Reportedly Throwing

This is so ridiculous. What irks me the most is that a lot of the parents I have seen who bang the anti-vaccine drum actually got vaccinated when they were younger. I am sympathetic to people living in lesser industrialized places resisting vaccination because many of them do not have the information readily accessible to people living in industrialized nations. However, these Californian parents are middle-class educated (although clearly not enough, because they seem to lack the most basic critical thinking skills) folks; are they really putting their kids in danger (not to mention other people, because they are breaking down herd immunization) just because distrusting modern medicine is the in-thing to do. In my honest opinion, I believe this is really more of an excuse (conscious or unconscious) for the parents to get together for a social gathering rather than an actual measure to protect their kids (the parents clearly do not think measles is a big danger to their kids).

The article is patently untrue. It's well known that the increase in such diseases is due mostly to the migration from former Eastern European or Middle Eastern nations where immunization was nowhere near as prevalent.

Sure, we have some anti-vaxxers; idiots get everywhere, but they're not responsible for the main increase in outbreaks.

The article was based on the figures from WHO. Nowhere have I been able to find the break down as migration from Easter Europe or the Middle East nations.  

http://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications/Publications/measles-rubella-surveillance-oct-2013.pdf

That is the link to the report the numbers came from. 

I really wanna hold a party to get these parents killed like snake pits, lions, sharks with freakin lazer beams on thier heads, scabies, rabies, ebola, and hepes for good measure. :) 

They can have all that for a low low price of 199999.99! 

I really wanna hold a party to get these parents killed like snake pits, lions, sharks with freakin lazer beams on thier heads, scabies, rabies, ebola, and hepes for good measure. :)

They can have all that for a low low price of 199999.99! 

You want to hold a party to get people killed, and who is the crazy one now?

its kind of sad that the only thing you can respond to in this thread is a satirical post.

11 Deaths Reported in the United States for the week ending February 7, 2015

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6405md.htm#tab1

6 completely unnecessary deaths from measles alone last week, Good job guys.

• Like 1

Remix was being sarcastic regarding the parties that people through to get their kids infected. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pox_party

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-health-officials-warn-against-measles-parties/

What mudslag said

Is this video for real or is it some sort of comedy?

It has Rob Schneider in it so I think you can safely rule out comedy.

This was common as ever in the UK during the 1980's and 1990's; pox parties.

It's only recently in the last 12 months been highlighted because some people don't want to "infect" their kids.  Yeah, and wait until they may catch it as an adult and end up seriously ill?  While I can see some people may bend it so much as to suggest the parent is being cruel to their child by allowing them, and encouraging them to be infected, if you think that way, then why bother getting any injections for any babies?

I sort of see it as a right of passage, much like the TB jab in the UK.

This was common as ever in the UK during the 1980's and 1990's; pox parties.

It's only recently in the last 12 months been highlighted because some people don't want to "infect" their kids.  Yeah, and wait until they may catch it as an adult and end up seriously ill?  While I can see some people may bend it so much as to suggest the parent is being cruel to their child by allowing them, and encouraging them to be infected, if you think that way, then why bother getting any injections for any babies?

I sort of see it as a right of passage, much like the TB jab in the UK.

Chicken pox and measles aren't comparable.

Measles is incredible dangerous; it's one of the top 5 killers of children worldwide. Chicken pox is largely harmless beyond the irritation of the rash it causes.

Vaccinations exist for chicken pox there is no need to infect your kids with it unless you enjoy watching them suffer needlessly.

Chicken pox and measles aren't comparable.

Measles is incredible dangerous; it's one of the top 5 killers of children worldwide. Chicken pox is largely harmless beyond the irritation of the rash it causes.

>

I take it you've never had shingles, aka herpes zoster? It's one of the lasting gifts you can get from having had chicken pox.

The first varicella zoster virus infection causes chicken pox, then it hides in the nervous system for months to decades until it arises again as painful skin eruptions. 3-4 million cases a year in the US.

Well considering there is a vaccination for Chicken Pox I imagine that is somewhat of a moot point. The advice seems to be clear: vaccinated you kids, don't expose them to things which are potentially very dangerous.

I totally agree. These anti-vaccine activists are maddening, and a lot of it comes from fear-mongering Hollyweird types and TV "health shows." Ughh...

Such people should be prosecuted for child endangerment.

• Like 2

Such people should be prosecuted for child endangerment.

Agreed, the medical community may have allot of things that will get both Dr. and Nurses in heated arguments over the usefulness of. But vaccines do not fall into this category and are accepted science. 

We officially have the 1st case of a child dying because of the measles.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-toddler-dies-measles-germany-20150224-story.html

An 18-month-old boy has died of measles amid an outbreak in Berlin, a hospital in the German capital said Tuesday..
An autopsy on the child, who wasn't inoculated against measles, showed that he had an unspecified other disease as well but that wouldn't have led to his death without the measles infection, the Charite hospital said.

It is the first known death in an outbreak in which Berlin has recorded more than 570 cases since October.

The child was right around vaccination age for measles, however, if everyone that could be vaccinated would have been, most likely the child would not have gotten it to begin with.