Former Rare Developers Working on Banjo Kazooie Spiritual Successor

Former core members of Rare have announced they are working on a new game. The team's new studio, Playtonic Games, plans to reveal details of its upcoming game "Project Ukulele" later this week.

Playtonic is aiming to turn its new project into a "worthy spiritual successor" to games team members helped build in the past, games like Donkey Kong, Banjo-Kazooie, and Viva Pinata.

The Playtonic team includes the programmer of Donkey Kong Country, the character designer behind both Banjo and Kazooie, and the artist "who made your console fit to burst with lavish environments" across several Rare games over the course of a decade.

This isn't the first time such a project has been planned. In 2012, a group that includes Banjo series composer Grant Kirkhope and artist Steven Hurst began work on a spiritual successor to Banjo Tooie.

Playtonic promises it's "making a real, proper, actual game," and will reveal more details as they become available on its Twitter page.

No further details have been revealed by Playtronic, but the studio says it plans to listen to fan feedback and will use the feedback to help steer the direction of the final product.

Keep checking IGN for more on this upcoming game as it becomes available

IGN doesn't mention it but they're supposed to have some more info about their new game in the upcoming issue of Edge magazine.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/10/former-rare-developers-working-on-banjo-kazooie-spiritual-successor

http://www.playtonicgames.com/

• Like 2

I really really hope this is good and hope it is at least similar to Banjo-Kazooie, can't wait.

Kind of want Microsoft to make a proper Banjo-kazooie game too, nothing like Nuts & Bolts.

• 2 months later...

The game was fully funded (all the way through their ~$1.5M initial stretch goals) in one day on Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival/description

Means a lot of extra content, and a day-one release on all platforms.

There's a lot of great info about the game on their Kickstarter page.

• Like 1

The Playtonic team includes the programmer of Donkey Kong Country

Wow...  That was over 20 years ago.  I remember way back when everyone was amazed over the graphics in Donkey Kong Country.

Awesome, long live 3D platformers. Such a shame what MS gutted RARE into.

Yeah, Rare and Lionhead are two companies that Microsoft ruined.  Rare and Nintendo made a great team, and they always seemed out-of-place with Microsoft.

The game was fully funded (all the way through their ~$1.5M initial stretch goals) in one day on Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival/description

Means a lot of extra content, and a day-one release on all platforms.

There's a lot of great info about the game on their Kickstarter page.

wow, that was fast. i wonder if they beat new record for most funds for a game on kickstarter?

sounds awesome though.

Please don't turn this into a MS killed RARE topic, they were on the decline with Nintendo anyway. Starfox Adventures and Kameo were made under Nintendo (even though Kameo came out on 360) and that was a clear indication of just how far they had fallen from the golden age.

Anyway back on topic, this game looks impressive as hell and I will be funding it. Really want that 64 cartridge perk!

• 1 month later...

The kickstarter reached it's final stretch goal of 2M (if you add on the 27K they've made in paypal donations), meaning that the first set of content they develop after finishing the game will be free to backers.

19 hours left if you want in on that. I can't wait for this game.

$8 Kickstarter: Special Thanks in the game credits.

That is going to be one long a** credit scroll :)

I would not be at all surprised for an included "Wow, you watched the whole credit sequence!" achievement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...