Directly connecting laptop to IP Camera

Hey,

I have a couple of ip cameras and I sometimes have to change the settings. There usually linked with wifi but sometimes they don't connect and I need to access the settings

Usually I have to use a powerline adapter and then plug it to the nearest outlet to the camera and then run the Ethernet to it.

Would it work if I just connect an Ethernet from the ip camera to the laptop. Would it allow me to access the settings page or not?

Thanks

is the camera or or you laptop have a gig interface, all 10/100/1000 interfaces are auto cross over, so if atleast 1 of them is gig then yes you can use any cable you want and connect.  You would need to setup static IPs or use APIPA, if the camera supports it.. thats when no dhcp server is available and machine gives itself 169.254.x.x address.

Or you could run dhcp server on your laptop for the camera - free windows one here,.  http://tftpd32.jounin.net/%C2"'> I use it all the time when setting up networked ups systems.

Do you know if they had static IP's and what they were before? You could just connect your laptop to it and assign your laptop an address in the same range and then manage them however, usually web browsing but I have seen software ones.

What make and model of cameras are they? We might be able to help....

Do you know if they had static IP's and what they were before? You could just connect your laptop to it and assign your laptop an address in the same range and then manage them however, usually web browsing but I have seen software ones.

What make and model of cameras are they? We might be able to help....

Yeah they have static IP and ports. How would I go about doing that, putting them in the same range? 

Connect laptop ethernet to the IP cam ethernet and then assign a laptop in the same range. Although I think they're in the same range. The IP cameras are like:

and every other device on the network is 192.168.0.x

The cameras settings are done via web browser. They're just standard FOSCAM IP cameras. 

well on windows go to your interface and change from dhcp to static and put in and IP address on 192.168.0.x that does not conflict with camera IP you want to connect to.

Then use netmask of 255.255.255.0

Done.

Like this

post-14624-0-65910400-1424106714.png

Once done just change to dhcp again.

So the camera is POE??  If the camera is poe than yeah it makes it a bit more complicated to just connect direct to a laptop.