Starting New Job on Tuesday - Nervous

Here are some other neat pics from around the office:

1 of 40 lounge areas
post-508501-0-73198700-1424315056.jpg

Our bottom floor is lounge areas, a cafe, pool & ping pong, and eating area with free drinks and snacks

post-508501-0-68406600-1424315073.jpg

If everything keeps going like it has, this might be the last place I ever work.  (unless I get accepted to the PGA tour )

And I got my laptop today.  I am really impressed.

It wasnt a ThinkPad - so there was a split second where I thought about running through the window - but I stopped myself.

It is an HP Elitebook 9480m
Win7 & Office 365 
Core i5 Gen 4
8GB RAM
240GB intel SSD !

Not too freaking shabby for a work puter.

• Like 3

Here are some other neat pics from around the office:

Our bottom floor is lounge areas, a cafe, pool & ping pong, and eating area with free drinks and snacks

Very nice, I like :)

think upward mobility wise, long term. be organized, be precise and 100% without a doubt honest. all these will assuredly place a strong image of integrity ,character and leadership in you.

then when the time comes to move up to a leadership role, you'll be a strong candidate. also, take any and all development courses you can for your job. personal development is a sure way to impress the higher up.

I'm more than sure this will be your golden ticket

• Like 2

think upward mobility wise, long term. be organized, be precise and 100% without a doubt honest. all these will assuredly place a strong image of integrity ,character and leadership in you.

then when the time comes to move up to a leadership role, you'll be a strong candidate. also, take any and all development courses you can for your job. personal development is a sure way to impress the higher up.

I'm more than sure this will be your golden ticket

Thank You - 

I checked and they will pay up to $4000 / yr for certification reimbursement - so I will probably do CCNA, and maybe Forensic Security / Ethical Hacking

Hello,

1. Congratulations on the new job.
  2. Don't worry overmuch about it.  On a new job, you're expected to be new and not know everything.  The fact that they're sending you to offsite training indicates this.  Which, leads us to the next item.
  3. Ping me when you get into San Diego.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thank You - 

I checked and they will pay up to $4000 / yr for certification reimbursement - so I will probably do CCNA, and maybe Forensic Security / Ethical Hacking

Sweet. CCNA is nothing but knowledge and advancement potential

Congratulations.

What is an NOC, and what will you job there entail?

Network Operations Center

In our case, this entails all of the switches, routers, firewalls,  & VPN  (I think)

Because the company is going through a major restructuring, it is a little cloudy as I have been in orientation the last 3 days.

Tomorrow is the 1st day I actually meet my team and report to my boss.

So I am really excited to finally find out what exactly I will be doing - 

Hello,

1. Congratulations on the new job.
  2. Don't worry overmuch about it.  On a new job, you're expected to be new and not know everything.  The fact that they're sending you to offsite training indicates this.  Which, leads us to the next item.
  3. Ping me when you get into San Diego.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thank You - I will - 

Right now I think SD is up in the air - it might be Las Vegas because thats where our data center is (SD is our old HQ)

Go for a practice run on monday to your work. Get a feel for the mass transit. DFW are is terrible traffic. I avoid going anywhere near that place if I have to drive. Cool that you got a better job offer than you were thinking. It beats working your way up the ladder over time. 

Training in SD sounds really nice. 

Good luck! Everyone is nervous when they first start a new job but that fear will reduce in time and I'm sure you'll feel perfectly at home and very happy (Y)

• Like 2

Network Operations Center

In our case, this entails all of the switches, routers, firewalls,  & VPN  (I think)

Because the company is going through a major restructuring, it is a little cloudy as I have been in orientation the last 3 days.

Tomorrow is the 1st day I actually meet my team and report to my boss.

So I am really excited to finally find out what exactly I will be doing - 

Thank You - I will - 

Right now I think SD is up in the air - it might be Las Vegas because thats where our data center is (SD is our old HQ)

So what will your job responsibilities be?

Cool! Good luck! Meanwhile I'm looking for a job in US/CA/Europe and can't get anything.. Sent a dozen of resumes today and yesterday and nothing... also sent a few for remote working and so far nothing... It sucks to live in Brazil :(

So what will your job responsibilities be?

I found out today that my position is totally not what I thought it was !

Its not a bad thing - just different.

I thought being in the NOC would be supporting our internal network - nope.

I am actually monitoring/supporting the network of all our devices out in the market (we are in the transportation industry)

So I will be dealing with the cell towers, some Sat-Comm, point-to-point stuff, etc.

I found out the reason the Director of Operations asked if I wanted to switch to work in NOC is because he runs the NOC - he wanted me to work for him - so thats cool.... I think

• Like 2