.Com or .Net

Question

I'm looking to start a new personal development website and I'm not sure if I should use .Com or .Net. The .Com is taken so I thought of just going with a totally different name but I really like the name I picked out. The .Com is being sold for almost $2000 and I'm not gonna spend that for a domain so what are the thoughts these days on .net domains?

19 answers to this question

.net domains are relatively standard and for a personal development website I'd say that would be sufficient for you.

Just to be clear, I'm going to sell services as well. Seminars and such that people can sign up for.

Neowin.net works well. Outside the US (and inside as well), people have other different endings (I have an org.uk, for instance). Now we've got all these other new domain name extensions, it's becoming the norm.

I think what it's all saying is that we need to open up and think beyond the .com era.
  • Like 1

I just bought a .space domain for the price of a .com which was pretty cool.  I was going to use it to point to my NAS at home, but am still undecided on it, but it is also good to check into some of the other non standard TLD's such as .com, .net, .org etc. 

As far as using a .net extension, it is probably good to do.  Since you are selling seminars and services, the .net would work fine.  Originally .net was used for networks and network providers.  As such, I have a domain name which ended in a .net extension which I am letting expire which I used for my web hosting that I did locally (No longer doing it), and it fit well for that type of thing.

With all of the domain squatters out there, it is hard enough to find a good TLD anymore without having to shell out some serious money for it if you really want it or it is a short domain name. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input guys. It's really appreciated.

I would get a .net because .com supports communism. Are you a communist?

Every once in a while, golden comments are made. This is GOLD. Lol

I would get a .net because .com supports communism. Are you a communist?

Every once in a while, golden comments are made. This is GOLD. Lol

Enron has a direct link to my funny bone.

• Like 2

.com stands for Commercial, .net stands for Network, unless your site doesn't involve commercial transactions and business I'd say .net is perfect! Otherwise pick another name for .com

.com stands for Commercial, .net stands for Network, unless your site doesn't involve commercial transactions and business I'd say .net is perfect! Otherwise pick another name for .com

Hmmm...so then my personal domain which is a private blog, should not be a .com?  ;)

I guess I've been doing it all wrong all these years!

TLDs are meaningless, just go for one that sounds better when saying it (Or make a pun out of it)

When I stop being lazy I'm going to grab myself a .xyz name.

Make one called.  Youbetter.xyz  :)

Hmmm...so then my personal domain which is a private blog, should not be a .com?  ;)

I guess I've been doing it all wrong all these years!

Lol, well it was only an advice, of course you're free to choose whatever you want! :rolleyes:

Lol, well it was only an advice, of course you're free to choose whatever you want! :rolleyes:

Yup!  I remember the days though when you registered a .org, you had to prove you were a non-profit and then of course paid nearly 10 times as much as you would now to register one.

Yup!  I remember the days though when you registered a .org, you had to prove you were a non-profit and then of course paid nearly 10 times as much as you would now to register one.

Is this for real?!?!

BS.. Unless you got scammed. 

No one asked me for more money for the .ORG domains.  I got them since '96

Always get .COM when you can. .NET is common but as .COM. Got to remember that Neowin.NET only use .NET because it was taken and final bought it when they had the money/chance too.

BS.. Unless you got scammed. 

No one asked me for more money for the .ORG domains.  I got them since '96

I had to when I registered one for a church I did a web deign for back in '98.  They had to prove their 501c non-profit status to the registrar.  So, that was my earliest and only memory of having to do it.  I suppose though, that thinking about it now, it might have only been the registrar at the time which of course, I do not remember who it was.