What exactly do we know about the Windows 10 free upgrade?

As long as MS phone operators are prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt when you claim that "I just changed my harddisk and increased my RAM, then authentication failed", ALL keys are transferable.

I just changed my motherboard, processor, RAM, video card, hard drive, optical drive and then authentication failed. Please help!  :woot:

• Like 3

why would it be any different than say windows 8.1? 

Free is free. I think we might be reading too much into this. I'm sure if anything changes, we'll ferret it out

why would it be any different than say windows 8.1? 

Free is free. I think we might be reading too much into this. I'm sure if anything changes, we'll ferret it out

Free is "free for the life of the device" if it can't be transfered, meaning activated automatically or manually, on another device afterwards, even though the license you "traded in"  could do that virtually indefinitely.

If the Windows 10 license is a bonus license that people who use 7 or 8 get for free upon upgrade, but are still able to use the new Windows 10 license and the old Windows (7) license on separate machines, even though the Win10 one is tied to a machine, but the old can be used on another machine , then, yes,  your point still stands.

Why is it so hard to understand this? It's the same licencing system as it always has been, you just aren't handing over any cash if you upgrade in the first year of release.

I really hope Microsoft don't require the "free" upgrade to be done from a previous Windows install (i.e. Windows 8.1 upgrades to 10 through the Windows Store) but offer a proper Windows 10 ISO download. Imagine how much of a nightmare it would be having to reinstall 8.1 then do the 10 upgrade.

The sad thing is I see Microsoft doing exactly this :no:

I really hope Microsoft don't require the "free" upgrade to be done from a previous Windows install (i.e. Windows 8.1 upgrades to 10 through the Windows Store) but offer a proper Windows 10 ISO download. Imagine how much of a nightmare it would be having to reinstall 8.1 then do the 10 upgrade.

We don't know for sure, but I don't think they'll do it via Store. Look at what happened with 8.1. They'll most likely offer it via Windows Update.

If I remember correctly, you could do a clean install with the $30 windows 8 upgrade, so it might be possible with this one as well. 

Why is it so hard to understand this? It's the same licencing system as it always has been, you just aren't handing over any cash if you upgrade in the first year of release.

You really have no clue...

Yes, this, plus the fact that i'd probably be replacing a retail license of Windows (7)  for an OEM equivalent of Windows 10.

We don't know for sure, but I don't think they'll do it via Store. Look at what happened with 8.1. They'll most likely offer it via Windows Update.

If I remember correctly, you could do a clean install with the $30 windows 8 upgrade, so it might be possible with this one as well. 

Yes but that 30$ Windows could be moved to another machine, right? One can hope it's the same for 10, but "supported for the life of the device" doesn't give me much hope.

Yes, this, plus the fact that i'd probably be replacing a retail license of Windows (7)  for an OEM equivalent of Windows 10.

Yes but that 30$ Windows could be moved to another machine right? One can hope it's the same for 10, but "supported for the life of the device" doesn't give me much hope.

Not as far I know. 

In the comments section of this article http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade-media-144648

Hello, this would be my first time buying an upgrade so I have a question. If for whatever reason I have the need to format my pc later on, is the key I purchased still usable for a re-install or would I have to buy another? Thanks =)

To which Paul responded:

You can use the same key (on the same computer).

It appears as thought the behaviour will indeed be the same with Windows 10. One can hope that if for example you've gotten the upgrade in the first year, but let's say you add more ram after the offer is over, you could upgrade to a non-OEM licence by paying a smaller fee than buying W10 outright. 

It appears as thought the behaviour will indeed be the same with Windows 10. One can hope that if for example you've gotten the upgrade in the first year, but let's say you add more ram after the offer is over, you could upgrade to a non-OEM licence by paying a smaller fee than buying W10 outright. 

But if one had a Windows 7 RETAIL license to begin with, it seems like a downgrade to move to an upgrade that's basically tied to that machine like an OEM one, isn't it? Am i the only one that sees the wrongness in this?

Also if you add more ram, you're genuine license won't get invalidated. Didn't happen 15 years ago, not gonna happen now. If adding more RAM forces you to move from 32 bit to 64bit that may be another issue alltoghether. However i have yet to come across a license that worked on one and didn't work on the other (i.e. 8 pro 32 bit to 8 pro 64 bit and viceversa, 8 non-pro 32 bit to 8 non-pro 34 bit, 7 home premium 32 bit to 7 home premium 64 bit and so on).

But if one had a Windows 7 RETAIL license to begin with, it seems like a downgrade to move to an upgrade that's basically tied to that machine like an OEM one, isn't it? Am i the only one that sees the wrongness in this?

Also if you add more ram, you're genuine license won't get invalidated. Didn't happen 15 years ago, not gonna happen now. If adding more RAM forces you to move from 32 bit to 64bit that may be another issue alltoghether. However i have yet to come across a license that worked on one and didn't work on the other (i.e. 8 pro 32 bit to 8 pro 64 bit and viceversa, 8 non-pro 32 bit to 8 non-pro 34 bit, 7 home premium 32 bit to 7 home premium 64 bit and so on).

If you have a retail license to begin with, yes, this like a downgrade. That said, I don't think the target audience for this thing is the tech enthusiast, but rather John or Jane Doe, in the sense that normal people usually buy a PC and use it until it breaks. When it does break they most often buy a new PC, rather than upgrading it. Since the PC comes with Windows pre-installed, this upgrade makes sense  'for the lifetime of the device'. Tech enthusiasts will most likely buy a system builder license or something, depending on their needs.

I think they'll focus on the upgrade, but will have the other options also available at launch. One can hope.

At this time, it does not convert the license.  So if you have a retail license, it continues to be a retail license.

There is not one word of this that has been different than any other Windows License Agreement, including the wording of, "Life of the Device".

This was first used in context of Windows XP.  Life of the device in Microspeak is:

1. Life of the License Purchased (Lifecycle of the Product)

2. Type of License Purchased. (Retail, OEM, MAK, VAK, Enterprise)

If you purchase an OEM license (One that comes with the machine) It is tied to the machine it was purchased for.  That license cannot be moved to another machine.

If you purchase a Retail license, that can be moved to another machine. So it then becomes the Life of the product only.

This is how all of the licensing has worked up to this point, and I do not see it changing. 

If you have a retail license to begin with, yes, this like a downgrade. That said, I don't think the target audience for this thing is the tech enthusiast, but rather John or Jane Doe, in the sense that normal people usually buy a PC and use it until it breaks. When it does break they most often buy a new PC, rather than upgrading it. Since the PC comes with Windows pre-installed, this upgrade makes sense  'for the lifetime of the device'. Tech enthusiasts will most likely buy a system builder license or something, depending on their needs.

I think they'll focus on the upgrade, but will have the other options also available at launch. One can hope

I do not see anywhere in this that it is a Downgrade of the license.  Can you please point that out to me?

I do think LauRoman is bringing up a good point that many in this thread either ignore or don't understand.

There are clear differences between RETAIL and OEM licensing. With the free Windows 8 program done in the past, that was meant for mom and pop machines who bought Windows 7 near 8's release (which 99% of the time is equipped with an OEM license) and get a free OEM upgrade.

...thats fine and all and that is "equivalent exchange" (OEM for OEM)...except LauRoman threw up the cash for a RETAIL Windows 7 which has privledges and the biggest perk is its ability to be moved to another machine (so long as you purge it from the previous machine it was on). If Microsoft's licensing allows Lau to generate a 10 key for their 7 key, will that 10 key be RETAIL or OEM? If its OEM then yes, Lau definitely got the short end of the stick.

At the same point, one could say its "fair" solely for the fact that man hours have went into a product upgrade that you haven't paid for and, luckily, Microsoft is giving some sort of licensing of 10 away for free for sometime. I honestly expect that it will ONLY be OEM freebies as the priveldge described above comes as a premium.

Until Microsoft clarifies, I recommend holding on to your keys Lau.

I do not see anywhere in this that it is a Downgrade of the license.  Can you please point that out to me?

I guess it's a problem of interpretation. I thought of "life of the device' as how long the hardware itself lasts, be it 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, whatever. The way you said it, it seems as though 'life of the device' means life cycle of the product, rather than the hardware. That's where the trouble is. 

One could argue that if it is the way you said it, they could just replace 'device' with 'product' and it would clear a lot of misunderstandings. I think it has to do with the proportion of Windows licences sold. If most of them are OEM licences (i.e. tied to the device) , then 'lifetime of the device' makes sense. If not, I don't know.

Please, people stop friggin saying it's a free license, like people didn't get this when Microsoft first said it and you think it's some insightful thing.

So, if you see it as a downgrade - here's a solution...

DON'T TAKE UP THIS OFFER

(gasp)

You misunderstand me. I will take the offer, on one machine, at least, regardless of the type of license. As i paid for 7 Windows 7 licenses (1 is OEM Home Prem. and 6 are Retail Pro) i just wish Microsoft would make it clear before the launch of the product what type of license (stop saying free) you get after the upgrade, hopefully.

If that clarification will not be forthcoming i would like to know from people that used the $30 (or whatever the price was) Windows 8 upgrade to go from XP/Vista/7 if they could, or have moved their Windows 8 installs to another machine if the original XP/Vista/7 was RETAIL.

Please, people stop friggin saying it's a free license, like people didn't get this when Microsoft first said it and you think it's some insightful thing.

You misunderstand me. I will take the offer, on one machine, at least, regardless of the type of license. As i paid for 7 Windows 7 licenses (1 is OEM Home Prem. and 6 are Retail Pro) i just wish Microsoft would make it clear before the launch of the product what type of license (stop saying free) you get after the upgrade, hopefully.

If that clarification will not be forthcoming i would like to know from people that used the $30 (or whatever the price was) Windows 8 upgrade to go from XP/Vista/7 if they could, or have moved their Windows 8 installs to another machine if the original XP/Vista/7 was RETAIL.

Just checking to see if you saw my message or not.  It spells everything out, unless it is changed, and if it is changed, it will be rather big news. 

I am not certain how much more they can spell it out.

As long as MS phone operators are prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt when you claim that "I just changed my harddisk and increased my RAM, then authentication failed", ALL keys are transferable.

Its automated anyway.

I'm pretty sure this is how its going to work. Least work for them, plus then after the 'year', they can easily start charging since they would just shut down the upgrade system.