Sony abandons The Last Guardian trademark

UPDATE 3 FEB 17 09:58: SCEE has confirmed to VideoGamer.com that The Last Guardian is still in development, but has yet to comment on the reason for the trademark's cancellation.

-----

Sony appears to have abandoned the trademark for The Last Guardian.

According to an update filed on the website of the US Trademark Office, the trademark was abandoned earlier today after Sony failed to request an extension for its use.

Sony has yet to formally announce The Last Guardian's cancellation.

The trademark's abandonment is the latest twist in game's troubled development, having initially been announced as a PS3 title in 2009.

Last summer, Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said that Team Ico was "making great progress" on the title.

However, even if Sony has abandoned the game's trademark, it doesn't necessarily mean that the project has been cancelled. It could, of course have plans to re-reveal the game under a different title.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/the_last_guardian/news/sony_abandons_the_last_guardian_trademark.html

Pretty sure this happened in 2012 as well.

If a title will eventually get released I wouldn't put a bet against it getting renamed. Who even knows if what exists is even like that trailer anymore? 

Pretty sure this happened in 2012 as well.

If a title will eventually get released I wouldn't put a bet against it getting renamed. Who even knows if what exists is even like that trailer anymore? 

Yup.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/08/09/sony-isnt-abandoning-the-last-guardian/

They need to refile as the product is still unreleased. Must be some standard expiration timer to prevent squatting.

I am not sure why so many of us are looking forward to this game, when we still know almost nothing about the gameplay. But we are. Right now it's the best game that was never made. I honestly think they will expose this at E3 this year with a huge cinematic trailer, followed by the devs doing a live demo on stage. Maybe a 2016 Spring release?

Yup.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/08/09/sony-isnt-abandoning-the-last-guardian/

They need to refile as the product is still unreleased. Must be some standard expiration timer to prevent squatting.

What I'd like to know is why is Forbes covering video games now? That would be like Neowin doing home improvement articles.

What I'd like to know is why is Forbes covering video games now? That would be like Neowin doing home improvement articles.

They are horrible at video game coverage to top it off.

Rep from Sony France says it's still in development.

Poster from NeoGAF says otherwise.

It's been 8 years.

Well, reps from game developers and publishers are liars, at least that is what the forums tell me. I trust in Gaf.

• 4 weeks later...