Some advice with "new" graphic card

Hi, I need some advice which graphic card should I buy. At this moment my config is:

Intel Q6600, 4GB DDR3 (waiting for second module of 4GB) and GF 9600GT 512MB.

I do not want to change other parts, only GPU. Any suggestions ?

Regards, MaPa.

One thing to thing to keep in mind, is that you might not see a big jump. I had an AMD 5400 Black Edition and a Radeon 4850. Moved to a Radeon 7770 and noticed almost no difference in performance. Got a Core-i5 last Spring and it was night and day difference.

Not sure how the Q6600 matches up to my 5400, but just wanted to warn you. My 4850 was equal to a 9800GT, so I'm sure you'll probably see a bigger jump than I did, but you will most likely be somewhat CPU limited.

So you'll have an 8 gig ram, quad core rig?

I'll throw in a vote for any of the gtx 6xx, or even an evga gtx 760, I think it's a great card, it's not top-of-the-line, but it can handle gaming and video well.

• Like 1

As others have mentioned already, that CPU is going to be a rather big limiting factor, and you might not see that much of a difference in gaming performance by changing the GPU.

Is it over-clocked, the CPU I mean? If so, what clock speed?

If you have the cash, upgrade to a core i5.

If not, then I suppose a GTX 660 or 660 Ti is the most that your system could make use of, or on the radeon side, 260X, 265 or 270. Might want to take a look at GTX 750 Ti too.

I'd look for a variant of the 550 then, the 550 gtx ti and used isn't a bad idea, so long as it was fully operational when pulled.

I've had to buy used in the past, so I understand it can be hit and miss, any reputable online shopping website usually come with money back guarantees.

If you are prepared to wait a little longer, and save a little more, you might even happen to find a new card.

Let me show you what can I buy. Max is GTX 550 if I am lucky.

Just say how much money you can spend instead of throwing around random models. How are we supposed to know how much a 550 costs wherever you live?

If you're on a budget nVidia GPUs tend to be a bit expensive. At that price I'd recommend looking at an AMD R7 240, it can handle 720p gaming pretty well.

Well 55$ USD wont get you much even used.

I have a 670 used laying around and i would probably sell it around 80-100$ CAD.

But at this price i would definitely look at buying used specially if you plan to upgrade the cpu/psu later. I bought used many times when i was still at school and if you do your homework before buying you can find little gems. I bought a pny 9800 gtx many years ago for 60$ CAD and it was still a very good card.

But we can't really help you if you go this route. You'll have to look at web sites like http://www.kijiji.ca but for Poland (this one of for Canada). 55$ USD can probably buy you something better than a 550 ti if you buy used. An old 5850 will outperform a 550 ti (by a good margin) and if i were to sell a 5850 i would not sell it over 40-60$ CAD.

You're taking a risk it dies soon after you bought it but cards like 550 and r7 240 are more htpc cards than anything else. High end and mid range cards from many generations ago will outperform them by a good margin. A 550ti is barely superior than a good custom 4870.