Microsoft is at it again: Killing Windows Phone features we love; This time: Rooms

Starting in March 2015, Rooms on Windows Phone will no longer be supported. You'll still be able to view and use your room photo albums, calendars and notes.

The changes to Rooms will take place in two stages.

In Windows Phone 8 and 8.1

After support for Rooms ends in March 2015, you'll still see your existing rooms on your Windows Phone 8 or 8.1. You'll be able to view and use your room photo albums, calendars and notes on your phone. But you won't be able to create new rooms or make membership or permissions changes to existing rooms. Additionally, you and other room members won't be able to send any new room chat messages.

In Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones

We're making way for new features in Windows 10 that will help you stay in touch with the people that matter most. Once you update to Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones, rooms will no longer show up on your phone. You'll still be able to get to your photo albums, calendars and notes, either on the web or by using other apps on your phone. You won't be able to see your chat history or send or receive any new chats.

What's Rooms?

This is why it's being removed.

it's bloat that's not being used. kind of like the old htc footprints crap they kept around forever.

Rooms let's you share files\photo\txt\cal dates with a group of people. It's getting replace with something else.

One drive supports sharing anyway so...

I loved rooms.  It aggregated all those plus chat, you have an odd way of looking at redundancy.  Knew those bastards were going to kill it as soon as I saw the blub in the preview. :\

I think companies should make more of an effort to integrate older data stored on thir servers into newer applications. I can understand not suppoting legacy hardware etc but surely old 'rooms' can have data extracted and placed into groups or whatever next comes out.

Its makes it hard to stay loyal to anything when you fear the service wont be around after a few years and all your work will just be frozen.

I think Satya Nadella has lost his mind on of what he wants to do with Microsoft. He's too busy pleasing users from competing platforms. So far it's about having the best experience on rival platforms and neglecting their own. Besides Microsoft has a hard time committing to a idea they introduced in the past.

I am not surprised and it is no longer needed with rise of likes of WhatsApp, SnapChat etc. I had setup a room with few WP users I knew and never again opened it (except to delete it a few months later).

Won't be missed. I think it was one of those fluff features that wasn't really needed.

Little harsh I'd say to call 'mocking', was just a joke. (And a decent one speaking as one of the 10 WP Rooms users. :) )

Woah...never thought I would meet another Rooms user. :D

I think Satya Nadella has lost his mind on of what he wants to do with Microsoft. He's too busy pleasing users from competing platforms. So far it's about having the best experience on rival platforms and neglecting their own. Besides Microsoft has a hard time committing to a idea they introduced in the past.

I doubt he was personally involved in this decision.

I am not surprised and it is no longer needed with rise of likes of WhatsApp, SnapChat etc. I had setup a room with few WP users I knew and never again opened it (except to delete it a few months later).

Won't be missed. I think it was one of those fluff features that wasn't really needed.

Woah...never thought I would meet another Rooms user. :D

I doubt he was personally involved in this decision.

As a CEO of a company like Microsoft, I think he has to approve any changes being made for projects and ideas like this. 

As a CEO of a company like Microsoft, I think he has to approve any changes being made for projects and ideas like this.

No, he doesn't have to. :laugh: This is such a trivial matter.