Beautiful Windows 10 Desktop UI concept, vote on UserVoice!

Looks like manjaro linux :-P

I do not see the resemblance...

Manjaro-Linux_8.png

I'm pretty sure this was posted in the Windows 10 thread PLUS on the front page :)

It was.

• Like 1

I do not understand why this concept seems to be so popular. Out of all of the various desktop concepts for Windows 10 that are available, why is this one the only one to receive the front page treatment? Why does its Windows Feature Suggestion have so many votes? There are hardly any differences between it and the File Explorer UI already available in Windows. The overall structure of the UI is the same

I do not understand why this concept seems to be so popular.

Drop shadows, transparent elements and it looks more integrated altogether - It got visual "icing".

concepts are always better than the real thing.. i guess the corp designers get mad when they see something like this and think "screw it, wasnt me who created it, i will release this as it is"

In fact, the concept is so similar to what is currently available that the most noticeable change is the translucency that's supposed to be subtle!

Agreed.  Arguments for translucency always seem to be about how good it looks, when the entire point of using it for the glass effects in VistaWin7 was to de-emphasize the chrome.

The concept is popular merely because it looks cleaner, since elements are better aligned than in the current Explorer, and a ton of things are shoved behind that burger button.  It's getting votes just for the aesthetic direction, and the fact that it's not from MS, with little to no thought given to functionality.  Win8 was practically crucified for hiding functionality for the sake of looks, and yet this concept that does the exact same thing at nearly the same level is widely praised.

That being said, I actually like some parts of the concept too.  Again, the alignment of elements, and some slightly more consistent icons are definitely an improvement compared to the Explorer we have now

Drop shadows, transparent elements and it looks more integrated altogether - It got visual "icing".

Yes, I am a fan of visual "icing" depending on the circumstances. I feel that the glass effects of Windows Aero in Windows Vista are gorgeous, but this is mainly because the entire look and feel of the operating system is centered around visual effects. For example, icons are three-dimensional and include visual elements such as shadows.

Windows 10 is another matter. Microsoft is making efforts to further flatten, or subdue, the user interface in that OS. Translucent glass, drop shadows, and other effects look wholly inappropriate in light of such efforts.

The concept is popular merely because it looks cleaner, since elements are better aligned than in the current Explorer, and a ton of things are shoved behind that burger button.  It's getting votes just for the aesthetic direction, and the fact that it's not from MS, with little to no thought given to functionality.  Win8 was practically crucified for hiding functionality for the sake of looks, and yet this concept that does the exact same thing at nearly the same level is widely praised.

It is unfortunate that so many users care about something that is so petty. That so many users are focused on looks at the expense of functionality, as evidenced by the amount of votes that the concept has, just boggles the mind. It reminds me of when the first Windows 10 Technical Preview was released and "a beautiful boot screen" was among the most requested features. In my humble opinion, users should want the OS to boot up so quickly that they hardly see a boot screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish Microsoft would put a bit more effort into the visual design, as right now Window 10 looks like a mess. Microsoft could learn a thing or two from concepts like this.

One of the things I just noticed about this concept is the arrows in the scroll bars are not present in the File Explorer. I think that is something that needs to be implemented universally. It would still be something that Microsoft would have to be tedious about, but seems like were UI in general is going.

I wish Microsoft would put a bit more effort into the visual design, as right now Window 10 looks like a mess. Microsoft could learn a thing or two from concepts like this.

I hope not.

This concept would be great for a future Windows .

Why would someone choose a hamburger menu over the highly customizable Ribbon?

I hope not.

Why would someone choose a hamburger menu over the highly customizable Ribbon?

I was talking about visual aesthetics, not functionality as such. The side navigation is nice, as is the window framing, taskbar and right-click menu. I wouldn't get rid of the ribbon design.

I was talking about visual aesthetics, not functionality as such. The side navigation is nice, as is the window framing, taskbar and right-click menu. I wouldn't get rid of the ribbon design.

same 4 me .

Well that's clearly a concept done without a thought of actual UI/UX dynamic nature. And volume icon is example of simplifying to ridiculous state, when it looks more like 'rewind' button.

Microsoft has the money and resources to make Windows look good, and they could do it all for Windows 10's debut. My guess is either A: They have software engineers working on the UI instead of an actual design team or B: They simply don't give a ######.

It could also be a little of both. Has anyone actually asked them why they care so little about the UI?

It could also be a little of both. Has anyone actually asked them why they care so little about the UI?

Who's saying they don't? They're hard at work moving Windows to new frontiers. Windows 10 is going to be a huge release, and I know they're not going to leave the messy UI the way it is.

UI comes later in development once the underlying groundwork is complete. You can't have a nice looking house without first having a messy construction site.

Who's saying they don't? They're hard at work moving Windows to new frontiers. Windows 10 is going to be a huge release, and I know they're not going to leave the messy UI the way it is.

UI comes later in development once the underlying groundwork is complete. You can't have a nice looking house without first having a messy construction site.

I dunno, man. I don't think the UI is going to change much over what we have in Windows 8, beyond some tweaks. Windows 8 works fine on a functional level, but its awful on an artistic scale. So was every version of Windows before it. Seven was as close as it got to looking decent, but even that was meh.

Misspelled "Arrange"

To be fair, Microsoft misspelled "several" in the recent changes to the Win10 install process. It happens to even multi-billion dollar companies with multiple layers of scrutiny, so I can't really fault one person making a UI concept.

To be fair, Microsoft misspelled "several" in the recent changes to the Win10 install process. It happens to even multi-billion dollar companies with multiple layers of scrutiny, so I can't really fault one person making a UI concept.

Talking about this? This was neowin "MOCK UP", not from MS.

screen_shot_2015-03-07_at_5.10.02_pm_sto