Beautiful Windows 10 Desktop UI concept, vote on UserVoice!

The reason the UI isn't what it should be is the same reason a lot of the OS is lacking - a big product like this is design by committee and MS is notorious for the amount of PMs they have. Look at products from smaller teams, like Zune software - beautiful, elegant. Same goes for the team that came  up with Metro (when it was launched with WP, it got rave reviews).

With Windows, every decision goes thru 10 layers of management and you know how that ends up.

Microsoft has the money and resources to make Windows look good, and they could do it all for Windows 10's debut. My guess is either A: They have software engineers working on the UI instead of an actual design team or B: They simply don't give a ######.

It could also be a little of both. Has anyone actually asked them why they care so little about the UI?

Well in order to redesign the OS you need to be able to tweak the code. It's somewhat similar to web design, but obviously more complex. My guess is that executives just filter ideas hard to not allow Windows to stray too much from what is familiar to most users and that's understandable. I bet there are many internal mockup builds experimenting with design choices.

Still, it feels like people who did the new horrid icons are not the same who did new Windows logo, or Office, Store logos etc. They need to continue with that icon design in my opinion.

Yeah the impression i got was it was the same as if MS had released the image itself.

Yeah. I skim read the article and assumed it was a screenshot, not a mockup. That's very poor on Neowin's part.

• Like 2

Yeah. I skim read the article and assumed it was a screenshot, not a mockup. That's very poor on Neowin's part.

You skin read the article, and that's somehow Neowin's fault?

You skin read the article, and that's somehow Neowin's fault?

Yes, because I don't expect fake pictures to appear on the frontpage without a substantial disclaimer.

Just remember the longhorn development; that UI changed tonnes because we finally got to a vista-esque style

Longhorn also went through several icon sets, if I remember correctly, too.

• Like 1

I've seen this before and it is by far the best looking concept for Windows 10 I've seen. If they insist on going with this monochrome flat style, I think this concept give it the most beautiful look possible. This OS would be very pleasing to look at and fun to use. I like the use of translucency and the general design just looks so much more polished than what we see in the TP's. I don't know why MS couldn't hire someone like the author of this to design their UI. Windows 10 currently looks like the GUI was designed by a programmer.

Still though, we're going to see people bitching and complaining that transparency "is ugly" or "is too distracting". Most people are brainwashed into thinking a modern GUI should be 1 color black and flat with no effects at all. If Windows 10 looked like this, I for one would be much more excited about its arrival. I could envision this with a preference for changing the predominant green color to blue or several other choices.

• Like 1

I don't like the over simplifying of Windows 10's UI, but if it has to go in that direction then I like this better.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...