Steam: Account Locked

Hi,

So first off let me make it clear that I'm not asking for or expecting help here beyond discussion.  I know Neowin is not a support forum for other sites.

I had a steam account years ago, and bought a few games.

Last year I got an email saying my account had been compromised and to lock it.  Fine.

Now I have a gaming PC, I wish to use steam.  For the last week I have been sending emails via the support system, proof of ID, etc

Do they ever unlock accounts or should I give up now?

They work slow at steam support. There is a chance that you will get it back. So if the account is not just a few games from indie bundles I would say stick it out. 

If you'd like to pm me or post the exact reason it's been locked I may be able to shed more light. I'd also just try logging into the account and see what happens. If you get password errors do a PW reset and try again. There should be some sort of feedback you will get to let you know what's going on exactly.

If it's a couple/few games like HL2 and CSS I'd say continue trying but for now open a new account if you really want to get going. Register it under a different address. I have 3 accounts, main, secondary cool dupe games account and then a 3rd pure multiplayer duplicates account. I've never had an issue with any of them.

I have a locked out account that I've never been able to get unlocked. First off, that email account is no longer active. And secondly, they wanted a picture of the box with the key. Of course, it was a digital purchase, so I couldn't provide any proof that satisfied their requirements. In the long run, it was probably cheaper for me to create a new account and repurchase the couple of games I was missing during a sale than it was for me to put a lot of time and effort into fighting with them.

Good luck, they were pretty difficult to deal with when I was dealing with them.

Hi,

Do they ever unlock accounts or should I give up now?

They have only two customer support employees, so it is going to take you a few months to receive a reply..

They have only two customer support employees, so it is going to take you a few months to receive a reply..

You're kidding, right?

I know the reason, so I don't need to go digging on that - but I've jumped through their hoops.  

What does Gaben spend his money on ?? o_O sure it isn't HL3!!!!

You're kidding, right?

I know the reason, so I don't need to go digging on that - but I've jumped through their hoops.  

Not true, if you are to believe GabeN's recent comments.

"What's your ticket? At the end of the day, everyone here at Valve is in support," Newell responded.

http://www.maximumpc.com/gabe_newell_tackles_customer_support_issue_boss_2015

The level of service is pretty terrible, regardless. The best bet is to build your case with CD keys, photos and any other Account IDs you have on record to prove you own it.

Sod it.  Seems like an absolute shambles of a service.

THEY got exploited and lost a bunch of info.  Mine must have been on that list (thankfully I segregate my real world / online details).

And now all the work is on ME to prove I am me.

I just created a new account.  Seeing as mine was so old, all the games I had are like a few quid now!

Not true, if you are to believe GabeN's recent comments.

What Gabe means is that any employee at Valve can work whatever role they want to, so support can jump ship to gamedev and vice versa, there's also the whole "devs implementing stuff they see suggested on forums" angle too.

So it might not be technically true, but the reality is only a few people do support.

Every time I read about someone's account getting locked I think for a second "I'd hate if that happened to me", then my heart skips a beat and then I have to calm myself down and remind myself my account is OK.

• Like 3

Sounds like every online account ever.  What, you want any random dude on the internet to just be able to take your account?

Because that's exactly what I said wasn't it?  Nope!

I have jumped through their hoops, provided photographs of my ID against my account and so on, and am yet to hear anything.

Sounds more like abysmal customer service.

If a site or service lets their customer information get exploited, the onus is on them to allow the customer to go through the necessary steps to retrieve their information in a timely way.  If that implies more resource is needed, then that is factored into the cost of the cleanup work.  If Steam are unable to deal with issues in a timely manner then they are not properly equipped to provide the service they claim to provide.

If a site or service lets their customer information get exploited, the onus is on them...

It wasn't Steam that was compromised, it was your account which was compromised and probably used / involved in other attempted account/trade scams and was locked as a result.

It'd be pretty big news if Steam had been compromised on a service level.

It wasn't Steam that was compromised, it was your account which was compromised and probably used / involved in other attempted account/trade scams and was locked as a result.

It'd be pretty big news if Steam had been compromised on a service level.

Plus they have that Stream guard thing that is kind of like 2-factor authentication and sends you a code when you access a new computer or make account changes, you did have that enabled, didn't you?

I've helped some friends get their accounts back back in 2008 - put it this way, it took nearly a month but they did get reinstated faster than their Blizzard World of Warcraft accounts.

Plus they have that Stream guard thing that is kind of like 2-factor authentication and sends you a code when you access a new computer or make account changes, you did have that enabled, didn't you?

ah the annoyatron.

I've helped some friends get their accounts back back in 2008 - put it this way, it took nearly a month but they did get reinstated faster than their Blizzard World of Warcraft accounts.

Blizzard accounts take me one mail with a photo of an idea to fix, usually happens in less than half a day.  had to do it a lot for a period when I travelled back and forth and they insisted on blocking my account every time the IP/country changed...