Utah Court Allows Woman To Sue Herself For Wrongful Death Of Her Husband

Yeah, she's scamming the insurance company and therefore all its other rate payers who will foot the tab.

I'm getting a headache just thinking about how royally screwed up our civil court system is.

http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2015/02/19/utah-court-allows-woman-to-sue-herself-for-wrongful-death-of-her-husband/

Utah Court Allows Woman To Sue Herself For Wrongful Death Of Her Husband

Salt Lake City, Utah (CBS LAS VEGAS)

How is that supposed to work? If she wins and is entitled 10.000$. Is she paying that money to herself? What if she doesn't have it? Doesn't make any sense.

Or is the expected outcome: Yes, she should have paid more attention.

What was a woman doing driving with her husband in the vehicle?  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Utah is full of some odd people.  And it seems their worst drivers come down to Arizona during the winter!

How is that supposed to work? If she wins and is entitled 10.000$. Is she paying that money to herself? What if she doesn't have it? Doesn't make any sense.

Or is the expected outcome: Yes, she should have paid more attention.

The car insurance company would pay the damages, then everyone else's rates go up as the copycats get in line at the courthouse.

I think Barbara Bagley should sue Barbara Bagley for one hundred million dollars, and then Barbara Bagley should be thrown in debtors prison for not being able to pay Barbara Bagley the one hundred million dollars. That should do it.

• Like 2

It kind of makes sense in a way.  if someone else caused the accident through negligence, you would collect from their insurance company; she's just trying to do the same from her own insurance.

It kind of makes sense in a way.  if someone else caused the accident through negligence, you would collect from their insurance company; she's just trying to do the same from her own insurance.

Still fraud, she knows she's not due the money in this case 

If the upper courts confirm she can claim dual personhoods she may skate with it. In any case it's probably not fraud because she's not lying about anything, just manipulating the system.

I'm curious though... In the US, do you not have what we call "Fully Comprehensive" insurance?  With that, it pays out all of your medical/car costs etc, even if you were at fault.  

I'm curious though... In the US, do you not have what we call "Fully Comprehensive" insurance?  With that, it pays out all of your medical/car costs etc, even if you were at fault.  

We do but it's quite expensive for most people. And obviously depending on your vehicle. Most people will have basic coverage though.

I'm curious though... In the US, do you not have what we call "Fully Comprehensive" insurance? With that, it pays out all of your medical/car costs etc, even if you were at fault.

It depends on the state since auto insurance is their jurisdiction.

Some states don't require insurance be carried at all, though if the car is financed the loan company may require full collision coverage to repair the vehicle.

Other states require at least personal liability & property damage (PLPD) coverage.

PLPD primer....

Comprehensive is an extra-cost rider, but it's mostly for things like theft, fire, storm damage, glass damage, animal damage, riots etc.

Medical payments coverage is often another rider, and it's coverage would be coordinated with your other health insurance(s).

In all insurances there is usually a deductable amount the car owner pays.

This woman's claim would probably be covered under her personal liability coverage.

Wtf? Really?

So does that mean I can drive my car into a tree and sue myself for money because i'm a ######wit?

Outstanding.

Wtf? Really?

So does that mean I can drive my car into a tree and sue myself for money because i'm a ######wit?

Outstanding.

well, in any normal country you would be insured for those ######wit moments ;)

well, in any normal country you would be insured for those ######wit moments ;)

I meant to make a profit from deliberate actions.

Wtf? Really?

Outstanding.

Well,  not if you -deliberately- did it, no. But if you did it by accident, then sure.

That's what insurance is for, to cover accidents.