Windows 8 from 32b to 64b

Is it any way I can change my current installations of Windows 8 from 32bit to 64bit? I don't even know how that happened in the first place when I bought this copy of Windows 8 :)

All help appreciated. Thanks

R

You'll need to do a complete reinstall.

However, the product key will still work (Y)

You'll need to find a 64-bit installer.

I think you may be able to get one from a torrent (I'm sure that's legal as long as you use your legal product key).

I have the "Windows 8 upgrade" from Windows 7 so can I do a reinstall from windows 8.1 as it is now ? Or would I have to go all the way back to Windows 7 again? My computer has a 64bit system so it should work. I found a direct link to the download from an MS email I had.

So during the installation it will ask me for 32 or 64 bit  ?

I have the "Windows 8 upgrade" from Windows 7 so can I do a reinstall from windows 8.1 as it is now ? Or would I have to go all the way back to Windows 7 again? My computer has a 64bit system so it should work. I found a direct link to the download from an MS email I had.

So during the installation it will ask me for 32 or 64 bit  ?

Install Windows 7 then Windows 8 will detect OS and upgrade from there.

Install Windows 7 then Windows 8 will detect OS and upgrade from there.

Unless his Windows 7 is 32-bit.... He can't upgrade from 32 to 64-bit.

To clarify: the upgrade will ONLY work if the architecture stays the same, Can't go from 32 to 64 bits or vice versa.

I dont even remember if windows 7 was 32 or 64. There is no way around this than installing 7 over again ? The 7 came on the computer and now I dont even know how to revert back to windows 7

Unless his Windows 7 is 32-bit.... He can't upgrade from 32 to 64-bit.

To clarify: the upgrade will ONLY work if the architecture stays the same, Can't go from 32 to 64 bits or vice versa.

I know that. That's why I said "detect"

I dont even remember if windows 7 was 32 or 64.

Start Menu > Right click Computer > Properties. The "bitness" is described by System type. 

An upgrade process will give only the same bitness, e.g. if you run an upgrade on a 32-bit system, you will stay on 32-bit, and if you run an upgrade on 64-bit, you will stay on 64-bit. There is no option to change during an upgrade.

okay thanks. I will need to try get on windows 7 and figure that out first. Now I have a  problem logging onto any of the windows 7 user accounts. "The User Profile Service failed the logon

okay thanks. I will need to try get on windows 7 and figure that out first. Now I have a  problem logging onto any of the windows 7 user accounts. "The User Profile Service failed the logon

I managed to get in and its a Windows 7 32 bit :p. Looking at the label underneath the laptop it looks like it came originally with Windows Vista home edition and was upgraded to 7, then upgraded to Windows 8. :D

If you have an upgrade disc then you should be able to do a clean install with it. I have not done this in a while but it may ask you to insert your original Win 7 disc to verify the upgrade.

Here is a link that will assist you if need be.

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/

That used to work with Windows XP, afaik that doesn't work anymore though.