GPU or PSU? Rebooting

Hey all. I'm THINKING it's a PSU problem, but I need some input. I won't be able to test different parts for a while, but here's the details.

The PC turns off completely and then turns back on when a 3D game is loaded. The GPU temp was 45 degrees and CPU is nothing over 40.  It's around 5 to 10 seconds in, either on the Bioshock Infinite Menu (where a 3D landscape is already loaded)  or on other games where after the regular 2D menus are passed, the game itself begins loading 3D objects and then it turns off.

The PSU allows 3 video cards, tried the first two ports and they had the same results. On furmark, it just rebooted immediately. 3rd port allowed the card to live longer. It was a good chance to test the temperature tolerance to see that the card wasn't overheating.  Tried furmark and I let the temp climb to 80 degrees.  It didn't reboot.  I put the fan on and let it drop to 60 (the usual load on some of my more demanding games) after 5 minutes, it shut off.

Does it sound like the PSU is running out of juice?  Or is this a characteristic of a GPU that's on its way out?  The GPU is Asus 5870v2  and the PSU is X4 Ultra 850w

3 Video cards on 850W? that sounds wrong. Especially when loading game graphics.

The only way to be sure of this is to troubleshoot.

You SLi those 3 cards?  You actually having 3 cards installed and PLUGged the power in?  A lot of the PSU is roughly 80% efficiency.  That means if you take 20% off of your 850Watt, you end up with only 680Watt of full load at 100% of the time.  If you have been using over 680Watt some of the times, you will be heating up the caps and it will burn some of them and making the PSU more prone to shutting down your computer a lot.   That is one reason your computer is shutting down.  The other reason is, while you get a reading of 40C from your CPU, it does not mean you seat it properly.  Sometimes the temp read-out is based on external temperature sensor and that may lead to false reading.  But most of the CPU these days have the temp sensor built-in the CPU.  So when the CPU is not seated properly, you may get false reading but yet it will shut down your computer due to overheat.

I would suggest you check all of your hardware and add the max wattage they use.  If the number is over 680Watt then you have a PSU problem.  For example, if you have 3x GPU and each one runs at 35Watt that means you are using over 100Watt load.  That leaves about 580Watt for other things.  One other thing tho, if you did not plug in the power rail to give graphic card extra juice, you will also cause the black-out problem.

oh sorry i must clarify :o  i only have 1 video card,  the GPU just stated to support 3, which gave 3 available places to plug in.  there are three 6 pin and three 8 pin slots.

oh sorry i must clarify :o  i only have 1 video card,  the GPU just stated to support 3, which gave 3 available places to plug in.  there are three 6 pin and three 8 pin slots.

I'm lost,

The card should have 1x 6PIN and 1x 8PIN for power. You should have those both plugged in together.

Sorry more typo.  My eyes are failing me :p

The power supply has enough room for 3 video cards.  It has 3 6pin slots and 3 8pin slots.   I have 1 video card takes one 6pin and one 8pin.   I tested the card on the other video card power slots on the power supply.  The first 2 failed, but the last one lives a little longer.  So I'm not sure if it really is power supply related or if the video card is just being coincidentally temperamental.

vga%20gpu.png

More observation:

While OCd to 3.8GHz
-Shut off started happening during surfing and light usage. Later on, started happening during boot process.
-Set CPU down from 3.8 to 2.66,  left vcore at 1.43 (yes it's an i7 920 c0), shut downs still occurred (many attempted boots).
-Set vcore to stock 1.28  and  was able to boot.

At stock settings:
-Ran Prime95 (CPU),  caused a shut down after 10 minutes
-Ran Furmark (GPU),  caused a shut down after 8 minutes

There have never been any symptoms of freezing, glitching, screen artifacts, light reboot (fans are still on), or BSOD.  It's a complete power off, LEDs and fans go off, then turns back on. I must assume it's a power supply failure.  Rats... I'll need a good replacement.

More input is welcome.