Decisions on keeping current phone

I'm moving out of the US and debating if I should go back to the iPhone due to majority of my friends and family in the states has one. So, I can either sell my android phones and get the iPhones to communicate easier with them, or force them to an app to talk to me for free.

The only way I can see myself helping them out without having to get an international calling/texting plan or going back to the iPhone, is porting my current number to Google Voice, but then again I'm pretty sure it doesn't work in Europe.

So why you moving out of the US?  Can I be nosie?  I would stick with your Android phone and get a MagicJack.  Data roaming is expensive but I am sure it works in Europe.  My niece came from France to the US and I was able to call her so I think it works both ways with the phone in question if it support roaming.

Forgive my naivety but what would going back to iPhone achieve that would make this easier? Sorry I've just never owned one so I'm sure it has some sort of built in function/app that will give you something, just want to know what that is. 

If money isn't an issue and you enjoy the device then sure go for it, but if not, it could be a pretty annoying thing to do instead of just going for something like Skype. I suspect that would probably give you the functionality you want, with little inconvenience to anyone.

• Like 1

there are a lot of apps that allow texting and voice and some do video too -  that are on iOS and Android.

i use viber whatsapp LINE telegram  depending on who on my contact list uses what.      i am pretty sure it is not hard to ask you friends to download viber, and call them for free over wifi (or even 4g or 3g i think... not sure)

look into that.     it is certainly simpler then selling and buying a new phone.

if you don't mind me asking, where are you moving to?

Forgive my naivety but what would going back to iPhone achieve that would make this easier? Sorry I've just never owned one so I'm sure it has some sort of built in function/app that will give you something, just want to know what that is. 

If money isn't an issue and you enjoy the device then sure go for it, but if not, it could be a pretty annoying thing to do instead of just going for something like Skype. I suspect that would probably give you the functionality you want, with little inconvenience to anyone.

its imessage i think -  txt voice video over data.   everyone with iphone uses that, and they can be upset you don't have it, if all their otehr friend use that.

also, yeah, Skype too.    Doh!

• Like 2

If your phone is unlocked, you can use it anywhere as long as the network is supported in the phone. Such as 3G, 4G LTE, etc.

Contact your provider and see if they will unlock your phone depends on how good your account is.  If it is good standing, then they will unlock it for you. Then you move overseas to use it. But remember you might buy adapter for your phone charger because the outlet is different from USA.

If you use wireless network instead of phone network, you can use free app but you won't be reached on the road until you connect the wireless network at some place.. such as home, restaurant, bar, etc. 

Good luck!

I'm moving due to work. My whole reason is since everyone I know has an iPhone, it'll be free for them to text me or face time me easier than having them all download an app to text me for free.

I guess I can look into Vonage.

Vonage you pay about 10 or was it 20$ / month...  MagicJack, you only pay 20$ / year ... You only need internet for MagicJack.  Your number will be local to US map no mater where you plug MagicJack in the world.

Vonage you pay about 10 or was it 20$ / month... MagicJack, you only pay 20$ / year ... You only need internet for MagicJack. Your number will be local to US map no mater where you plug MagicJack in the world.

MagicJack works on cell phones?

Would I have to get 2 MagicJack's per phone?

I'll definitely look into it.

No..   you get MagicJack and app.. it works anywhere..

FYI:

Calling from and to:

MJ to MJ = free

MJA to MJ = free

MJA to MJA = free

MJ to outside of MJ = cost/min.   (means landline, smartphone without MJ)

MJ means MagicJack

MJA means MagicJack App

The answers to your questions are available on the website. If not, ask them on their forums or email.

I'm still tempted on going back to the iPhone, just because the wife texts her mother a lot.

It's up to you.

There are many ways to contact others in worldwide.

Such as Viber, TextPlus, GV, MJ, etc.

iPhone with iMessage works as long as you have either phone network or WIFI.  iMessage only works with other Apple devices such as iPod, iPad, iPhone...  If you want to send messages to Android users via your iMessage, then you will need their email address that is setup on their phones.

If you get MJ, you get a MJ for home and an app for your phone. 

It's up to you.

There are many ways to contact others in worldwide.

Such as Viber, TextPlus, GV, MJ, etc.

iPhone with iMessage works as long as you have either phone network or WIFI.  iMessage only works with other Apple devices such as iPod, iPad, iPhone...  If you want to send messages to Android users via your iMessage, then you will need their email address that is setup on their phones.

If you get MJ, you get a MJ for home and an app for your phone. 

I'm going to let the wife decide on what she wants. Either the iPhone 6 or Note 4, it'll be her decision since she likes to text her family daily which all use iPhone's. We have an iMac, iPad Air and iPad Mini.

They can also download Hangouts and message that way.

MagicJack is a box that when hooked to the internet, it act as your regular home telephone.  As it was, it is FREE to call anyone in USA, Canada, and Peutro Rico free of charge.  No cost calling to any phone.  When you connect this MagicJack to the internet in foreign country such as China, that number on that MagicJack is still a US number.  As for texting, I don't think you can do that.  MagicJack is just a regular home telephone.

MagicJack is a box that when hooked to the internet, it act as your regular home telephone.  As it was, it is FREE to call anyone in USA, Canada, and Peutro Rico free of charge.  No cost calling to any phone.  When you connect this MagicJack to the internet in foreign country such as China, that number on that MagicJack is still a US number.  As for texting, I don't think you can do that.  MagicJack is just a regular home telephone.

They also have an app for Android & iOS. You're right about the texting though.

OP: You know your answer. They are all using iOS, get an iPhone. Doesn't even have to be activated on service though - just use it on wifi if you want and iMessage & Facetime will work and that way you won't get killed with data charges.

My mum and my sister use Facetime to talk to one another, and every time one of them says, "I'll just Facetime you" to me I need to remind them that they can't do that.

What I don't really understand is why people go for Facetime - which is locked to Apple products - when they could install a free alternative that is cross-platform, such as Skype or Viber. But in those situations I just inform the other person that they won't be able to contact me and move on, I don't have the energy to point out the pros and cons when it falls on deaf ears.

It hasn't really answered your question, but at least you know that I'm in a similar situation. However, that would not be a reason for me to move to iOS.

My mum and my sister use Facetime to talk to one another, and every time one of them says, "I'll just Facetime you" to me I need to remind them that they can't do that.

What I don't really understand is why people go for Facetime - which is locked to Apple products - when they could install a free alternative that is cross-platform, such as Skype or Viber. But in those situations I just inform the other person that they won't be able to contact me and move on, I don't have the energy to point out the pros and cons when it falls on deaf ears.

It hasn't really answered your question, but at least you know that I'm in a similar situation. However, that would not be a reason for me to move to iOS.

because it is OOB, 0 complications I guess. I can understand why non-tech savy people wouldn't look for anything else. like "get an iphone so we can video chat over facetime"... in my experience skype was always a better, but you actually have to install it.

That is because some people didn't know that FaceTime isn't cross-platform. Which they thought FaceTime is available on all devices...  that's the reason they don't read the instructions when they got their phone/tablet.. or their cellular agent might have forgot to tell them about FaceTime usages.

I told people around here, that I said "Read the instructions or read up online about FaceTime when they ask me if they want to FaceTime with me. They want like "Oh... You don't have iPhone?" Bingo! I am an Android user.

Skype works on all devices, no matter what.. even on Xbox consoles... Not sure about PS4 since I don't have one here.

We've decided to stay on Android. We use Skype anyways, and her family could easily text her using Hangouts/FB Messenger.

Now the question is, how much of a difference is the Note 3 vs Note 4 (wife's upgrade) and Nexus 6 vs Moto X (my upgrade).

imessage is a superior messaging platform for some.

1) Facetime video chat is drastically better in quality (both video and audio)

2) imessage is instant (vs text)

3) Videos of up to 7 mins can be sent between idevices and count as a text message rather then data.

4) built right in, no other apps to download.

because it is OOB, 0 complications I guess. I can understand why non-tech savy people wouldn't look for anything else. like "get an iphone so we can video chat over facetime"... in my experience skype was always a better, but you actually have to install it.

with experimenting with literally dozens and dozens of cellular handsets, no video chat client comes close to face time (video and audio) quality. I am surprised at your assesment. May I assume you were using (or other person) was using an ipod?

3) Videos of up to 7 mins can be sent between idevices and count as a text message rather then data.

with experimenting with literally dozens and dozens of cellular handsets, no video chat client comes close to face time (video and audio) quality. I am surprised at your assesment. May I assume you were using (or other person) was using an ipod?

Both using iphone 4s... always seemed skype had superior image, though this is variable I can understand that. (this should be an interesting topic to discuss, why voip/videochat quality varies so much in between clients )

How is that possible as data has to go through for  video to be sent.

iMessage is a superior platform in the sense that it is bound to apple only.

I agree on 4.

Edit: though #4 is also its hindrance, as if for some reason my phone is not available, I can always skype through my pc.

<snip>

I can't say anything really other than, comparing imessage to text is maybe a little wrong as I think someone else mentioned it, Android uses Hangouts now which I believe works in a similar way to imessage (I believe) no idea how good it is in comparison though.

The misses has always sworn by Facetime over Skype though so I sort of knew it was pretty good in that respect.