Decisions on keeping current phone

How is that possible as data has to go through for  video to be sent.

It does use data, but all companies (all that I have seen from USA, Canada, the Philippines) count it as a text message. other platforms, (andriod and windows) (again from what I have seen) do in fact count it separately as data. I used to send 7 min video consistently with no limits on amount. I think its an oversight on the carriers part but hey, if they allow it, they allow it. I know if I was a carrier I wouldn't allow it. A 7 min video contains A LOT of data even if compressed to simple sd/hd quality.

It does use data, but all companies (all that I have seen from USA, Canada, the Philippines) count it as a text message. other platforms, (andriod and windows) (again from what I have seen) do in fact count it separately as data. I used to send 7 min video consistently with no limits on amount. I think its an oversight on the carriers part but hey, if they allow it, they allow it. I know if I was a carrier I wouldn't allow it. A 7 min video contains A LOT of data even if compressed to simple sd/hd quality.

I guess that depends on the country/carrier and is not really apple related... after all, you do need internet for iMessage to activate and subsequently send videos.

Well, if you really don't NEED a new phone, (regardless of make) then some sort of 'app' would be the way to go, if you're using video chat (not sure which apps support that, as I've yet to try it) you could have the chat via wifi, and that's free too :)

Well, if you really don't NEED a new phone, (regardless of make) then some sort of 'app' would be the way to go, if you're using video chat (not sure which apps support that, as I've yet to try it) you could have the chat via wifi, and that's free too :)

We told her mom today that she can either use FB Messenger or download Hangouts to contact her.

I'm just debating now if I should upgrade her Note 3 and my Nexus 5 since they are cheaper in the states.