Question about switches and routers

Here is the thing dude.. Change the ports on the switch is about the most you could do, you don't have a smart/managed switch there is no way to know if its causing problems. NONE.. unless you were doing a file copy over the switch, and then used a cross over cable or another switch and didn't have the problem.

With how your doing it, having buffering problems - how are you suppose to track down the problems.  Do a LARGE file copy from the system - do you have any issues?  What do the logs on the system say?  You have a SSD to SSD over gig your speeds should just scream..

There is nothing wrong with multiple switches daisy chained together.. This is by design how your suppose to do it.  How do you think you cover a large area like an office building?  Normally you connect them with fiber to get more bandwidth..  Your issue is mostly the machine.

But if you don't like those switches go get some smart ones that could show if errors on the ports.  On the sending machine look at the interface stats.. its linux right.

do a ifconfig do you see any errors?

budman@ubuntu:~$ ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0c:29:dd:02:ba
          inet addr:192.168.1.7  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:5501 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:2948 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:2756834 (2.7 MB)  TX bytes:344659 (344.6 KB)

netstat -s will show you if other errors?

If you had a switch you could look at the interfaces directly for problems, etc.

You can keep chasing ghosts if you want, ignoring the cause of the issue...You will learn more about the network that way and remove that from being an issue at a cost of time and patience.

Chasing ghosts and ignoring the issue? I am having a buffering problem on a single PC on my network. I presumed it was a network problem then replaced the SSD and thought I fixed it but it came back. What makes you think I am ignoring an issue? Do you somehow know what the issue is and you are trying to make me guess or something?

Here is the thing dude.. Change the ports on the switch is about the most you could do, you don't have a smart/managed switch there is no way to know if its causing problems. NONE.. unless you were doing a file copy over the switch, and then used a cross over cable or another switch and didn't have the problem.

With how your doing it, having buffering problems - how are you suppose to track down the problems. Do a LARGE file copy from the system - do you have any issues? What do the logs on the system say? You have a SSD to SSD over gig your speeds should just scream..

There is nothing wrong with multiple switches daisy chained together.. This is by design how your suppose to do it. How do you think you cover a large area like an office building? Normally you connect them with fiber to get more bandwidth.. Your issue is mostly the machine.

But if you don't like those switches go get some smart ones that could show if errors on the ports. On the sending machine look at the interface stats.. its linux right.

do a ifconfig do you see any errors?

budman@ubuntu:~$ ifconfig

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0c:29:dd:02:ba

inet addr:192.168.1.7 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:5501 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:2948 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:2756834 (2.7 MB) TX bytes:344659 (344.6 KB)

netstat -s will show you if other errors?

If you had a switch you could look at the interfaces directly for problems, etc.

Thanks Budman, I will try that and report my tests. I'll try a large file copy of an uncompressed movie, maybe about 24 TB. Where would there be a log?

being that you don't really have a way to determine if it is a network issue or not.  What I would do is find a device on the network that isn't having a problem streaming and move the computer to that location.  If it is a networking issue the problem will not follow the computer as you know at the location where you are moving it to was functioning without failure.  Basically if the issue does not exist at a location and you move the computer or device there, you can deduce that there is a network issue or a computer issue fairly easily/quickly.  Moving it may be a pain but it would be the best way to 100% accurately put this to bed.

Not sure what your openelec logs?  There would clearly be issues with netstat -s that shows errors on the network if your having them.  What speed do you get?

sc302 idea of moving the box seem like a good idea.

So what kind of movie are you watching that is 24TB Never heard of such a thing.. How much space do you have - didn't you say this was on a SSD? ;)

I enjoy reading BudMan and sc302 comments.

On to the issue, I really dont have much to add. I was gonna suggest robocopy for a large file transfer and see how speeds hold up but similar tests have already been done.

I think sc302's suggestion of plugging the device with issues into another network device would be ideal (Im supposing that the cable isnt the issue but)