Linux Mint Laggy/crashes

I am using the latest version of Linux mint. However it always crashes and laggy. For example even when I just do simple task like write this question here it lagged up while I was typing and I had to wait about 20 seconds to type the rest. Is it the linux or is it because it is running off of a thumb drive that supports USB 3.0?

I figured USB 3.0 USB flash would be fast enough not to cause so much crashes and lag but maybe I am wrong?

I am running it on an Ascer Aspire notebook with core i7 ( 2 cores plus hyper threading ) 4 gigs of DDR3 ram and USB3.0 slots with a USB 3.0 capable thumb drive that linux mint is installed on.

So basically is it normal for linux to freeze and lag so much on a decent machine with linux installed on usb3.0??

running any os of a thumb-drive is suboptimal and should only be done to do some quick tests. install it on a HDD and have fun.

I am using the latest version of Linux mint. However it always crashes and laggy. For example even when I just do simple task like write this question here it lagged up while I was typing and I had to wait about 20 seconds to type the rest. Is it the linux or is it because it is running off of a thumb drive that supports USB 3.0?

I figured USB 3.0 USB flash would be fast enough not to cause so much crashes and lag but maybe I am wrong?

I am running it on an Ascer Aspire notebook with core i7 ( 2 cores plus hyper threading ) 4 gigs of DDR3 ram and USB3.0 slots with a USB 3.0 capable thumb drive that linux mint is installed on.

So basically is it normal for linux to freeze and lag so much on a decent machine with linux installed on usb3.0??

to be fair Acer laptops are pretty garbage. It probably is a hardware issue. More details?

I kept having odd crashes (using Ubuntu MATE 14.10) and I think it actually was Google Chrome. The freezes only happened when I was typing something into Chrome. I am now using Firefox with no problems so far. For the record, I went more than a year with Chrome with no problems. It was only with 14.10 that the problems started (ie, Chrome on Ubuntu 14.10).

Still, as others say, the problem may be with running the OS from a USB drive...

to be fair Acer laptops are pretty garbage. It probably is a hardware issue. More details?

Their earlier stuff, yes, it sucked. But their newer stuff is top notch.

Ditto that -- my brother in law bought one of theirs recently and it was actually pretty decent, surprised to see the Acer logo on it.. pleasantly surprised.

That said, as far as USB goes, I've run a few test distros on an external USB 2.0 hard drive in the past just to get a feel for the OS on a given set of hardware without having to repartition anything (VM's won't let you see how it behaves on a physical install).. yea, it's a great way to not show you how fast it really is, laggy as all hell for obvious reasons, but don't think I've ever had it crash on me.  Launching a browser would give me a chance to go to lunch, sure, but don't recall it ever crashing.  That was Firefox though, I've not tried Chrome in a while, gave up on it, maybe it's an app-specific bug?

I've been running xubuntu on one of my main desktops and it has become particularly slow as well as freezes lately. Since my desktop has never had issues, I suspect something in the distro iteself. I do not use Chrome but the same happens in Firefox. Maybe a bad update? I would say that this phenomenon has been an issue for 3 weeks or so.

have any of you had loads of cinnamon updates recently? like every couple of days

for example below, now going by the version number it was released today but i have had the same updates every couple of days for about 2 weeks

post-229387-0-16416100-1424608973.png

kool, I just mentioned that based on past experiences, but I can believe you sure, didn't mean to damper anyone on the brand.

Not using Cinnamon.... XFCE4.

I worked out my issue i had the Cinnamon Nightly repos enabled lmao