Windows 10 use only first cpu core

I found the problem. 

Core Parking.

In power schemes if I select High Performance I get 2 cores out of 6. In Balanced I get 4 out of 6. I struggled to disable core parking with all the utilities out there and reg keys and it all failed until I forcefully disabled it in BIOS. I have a Asus motherboard and under Core Activation I was able to set them to manual instead of Auto.

It did the trick. No more audio distortion in Youtube gawd daym html5 player because core one is handling the whole computer. To be noted I have a 24bit Audigy that is working A1 on this computer. 

In conclusion Microsoft really want to impose core parking so they did something different from previous Windows so we cant toy with that anymore. I'm not against it but now its broken for some of us. (Google "disable core parking"). 

Note: If any of you want to know if you have parked cores its in Resource Monitor under CPU that you can see in real time the cpu states.

• Like 2

I found the problem. 

Core Parking.

In power schemes if I select High Performance I get 2 cores out of 6. In Balanced I get 4 out of 6. I struggled to disable core parking with all the utilities out there and reg keys and it all failed until I forcefully disabled it in BIOS. I have a Asus motherboard and under Core Activation I was able to set them to manual instead of Auto.

It did the trick. No more audio distortion in Youtube gawd daym html5 player because core one is handling the whole computer. To be noted I have a 24bit Audigy that is working A1 on this computer. 

In conclusion Microsoft really want to impose core parking so they did something different from previous Windows so we cant toy with that anymore. I'm not against it but now its broken for some of us. (Google "disable core parking"). 

Note: If any of you want to know if you have parked cores its in Resource Monitor under CPU that you can see in real time the cpu states.

Please use the insider app to report so they can fix it.

My APU when idle still uses 40% - 50% CPU

reported it.

Please use the insider app to report so they can fix it.

My APU when idle still uses 40% - 50% CPU

reported it.

Done

And as a follow up my computer is running very well since yesterday. Idle cpu usage is less than 1%. Power consumption (according to my UPS) is just like before I try Win 10. There are a whole lot of bugs everywhere in this Windows but at least my cpu is doing alright.

Done

And as a follow up my computer is running very well since yesterday. Idle cpu usage is less than 1%. Power consumption (according to my UPS) is just like before I try Win 10. There are a whole lot of bugs everywhere in this Windows but at least my cpu is doing alright.

Was is always ok in W10TP or Fixed in recent build?

Tried the first two TPs where the issue occured.

Has always worked fine "out of the box" for me on #9926 x64:

fHdYQ7u.png

I've not needed to run or change anything - nor would I expect to have to.

msconfig.exe boot advanced change the number of cpu's your os is using sorry but ive know that since windows started :p

That's not how that works ... And has nothing to do with core parking.

it is used for debugging for different core/cpu requirements. Default uses all core/cpu's.

• 1 year later...

Anyone know how to fix this same problem for multiple cpu motherboards. 

Device manager sees 16 cores 

Task manager only 4. 

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

i5 680 CPU - dual core, 4 logical. Now I'm seeing only half my cores in the Windows 10 task manager (2 logical). Device manager shows all 4. This was not the case the last time I checked and I didn't make any changes. . I think there is a nasty bug in the latest Windows 10 update. 

Anyone else seeing this?

• 1 month later...

SOLVED - Windows 10 by default (which I think was set during some MS update a few months back) has the "Number of processors" for boot check box checked which, depending on the number of processors selected, will boot only that number of processors. The fix is to uncheck this check box. System Configuration --> Boot --> Advanced Options --> uncheck "Number of processors" and also uncheck "Maximum Memory" (not sure why anyone would want to limit the memory). Click OK and reboot. System should come up with correct number of logical processors (AMD cores or Intel Hyperthreads). 

On 2/21/2015 at 4:45 AM, netty2014 said:

msconfig.exe boot advanced change the number of cpu's your os is using sorry but ive know that since windows started :p

Oh lord. Not this (false) chestnut again.

15 minutes ago, chaos0099 said:

SOLVED - Windows 10 by default (which I think was set during some MS update a few months back) has the "Number of processors" for boot check box checked which, depending on the number of processors selected, will boot only that number of processors. The fix is to uncheck this check box. System Configuration --> Boot --> Advanced Options --> uncheck "Number of processors" and also uncheck "Maximum Memory" (not sure why anyone would want to limit the memory). Click OK and reboot. System should come up with correct number of logical processors (AMD cores or Intel Hyperthreads). 

Was that without me changing.

18 minutes ago, chaos0099 said:

Lol, you're making ###### up or running some bugged out version of your OS. This is not necessary at all.

I didn't have to tweak ###### for my system to run like a mother ######er.

Rolling my eyes at your post. :/

Everyone - this is a pretty old thread from early 2015. I'm going to close it now as it's already been solved by the OP. If you'd like to open a new thread about the topic, feel free.

• Jason S. locked this topic