Windows 7 ISO

you recall incorrectly.   the ISOs were always available as link from the official microsoft website, with no registration or verification needed.

The trials were, sure..  I can download a trial now of 2012 server.. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2

But I don't recall ever seeing a link off MS where I could download full install media..  Now if that was the case then it would not be an issue for people needing reinstall media for their laptops, etc. when the OEM did not ship the media.

Yes MS has put trail software, for example windows 10 tech preview that anyone can download..  That is clearly not the same thing as official oem or retail copies of their OSes..

"those isos were never available from MS website,  afaik."

Yeah they were - where do you think I got the ISO?  I got it from the portal from MS for having a site license, etc.

So I can BUY and download it now

post-14624-0-40751600-1424618894.png

Where did MS ever put up the iso that I could download without paying?  Which is what the OP did.

Where did MS ever have a link to isos that you could download if you were not a registered member of something?  I don't recall ever seeing some url billy bob could hit and download a ISO..  You could either meet criteria to join something, pay a fee to join say msdn, or buy a copy, etc.  Digital River never allowed you to hit a website and download a ISO without paying, not that I recall??

But hey if neowin according to mod stated that as long as there is no crack or hack, key given with it..  Who wants a copy of VL microsoft office install for 2007, has pretty much every office product MS makes before any of them phoned home and all you need to do is simple google for a key ;)

attachicon.gifoffice12.png

I have a server with unlimited bandwidth, where I store the iperf3 windows version I have been creating.. Maybe I should just put this iso up here as a community service to neowin?  What the hell it doesn't have any keys with it, etc.  What is the problem if we hand out the iso - who would ever be able to exchange a couple numbers/letters in a specific order via some other channel, etc.

Actually Microsoft link to many of their apps such as Office 2013 Pro Plus and Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate etc.

These are publically linked downloads from microsoft.com, I literally just opened the Microsoft homepage, went to the download and copied the link to the iso to make this post.

• Like 1

So where is the page you found that office 2013 download off of.. Can you link to the page or what you searched for in the download center?

Is that an official posting of the download, or a mistake and leaked url that is open to the public?  X18-65700.iso seems like a really odd name for an official ms released iso that they want anyone on the planet to download, etc.

So where is the page you found that office 2013 download off of.. Can you link to the page or what you searched for in the download center?

Is that an official posting of the download, or a mistake and leaked url that is open to the public?  X18-65700.iso seems like a really odd name for an official ms released iso that they want anyone on the planet to download, etc.

https://products.office.com/en-gb/download-back-up-restore-microsoft-office-products

Although I just noticed you need to enter your product key which I already did in the past so I guess it remembered that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Long time lurker and first-time poster.  I've always been great at figuring this stuff out without posting!

Anyway.... Do I understand correctly that if I delete the file 'ei.cfg' from the ISO before burning it onto a DVD, that I'll be able to use my product key?

Background story:

My product key is from the "Windows 7 launch party" kit, which includes Win 7 ultimate.  However, according to MS, I can't install it with a retail disk.  Their website says this as well as the fact that I've already tried :(

I haven't used the key (computer that had this key is dead) for years. So, I know i can use.

So, I delete the ei.cfg and I'm good to continue?  I'm downloading the ISO as we speak.

What you ultimatly want to do to have a good archive.

Find a clean ISO of the Windows 7 Ultimate (I would grab both 32bit, and 64bit).

Use a utility (such as ultra ISO) to edit the iso and remove the ei.cfg file from the disk.

This turns the disc in to universal disc setup that Vista had.

You can still get the ISO names and MD5 from Sums from here: https://technet.microsoft.com/subscriptions/downloads

(download is for the dwindling remaining members) before the site goes down for good.

Extra Credit - Make an Windows 7 disc using an mdisk dvd-r, and the disc should last your lifetime, plus a few generations after your :)

Pair it up with a disc made by this utility, and you have an offline, standalone windows updater

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

(Edit) for Reference

X17-59463.iso (32bit) - 65FCE0F445D9BF7E78E43F17E441E08C63722657
X17-59465.iso (64bit) - 36AE90DEFBAD9D9539E649B193AE573B77A71C83

It requires a valid key. I think that page has it covered:

* Your use of the Windows media creation tool is governed by the Microsoft Terms of Use for this website.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/intellectualproperty/copyright/default.aspx