drawback of iphone

the only drawback if I buy this phone is not being able to record the phone calls like android (i live in a country where it's legal)

so should I stick to Android then? I know you can work this by jailbreaking, but when I tried in the past (iphone 5), the battery drainage was killing 

That's probably one, I have an iPhone and will be jumping on the Android bandwagon soon enough. Here's a few that I found this is with stock iOS - 

• I want to put group of apps on the quick launch bar
  • Inability to remove stock apps
  • Can't use third party cables (this really annoys me)
  • I think the overall locked down status of the phone really annoys me, I never knew the extent of this until I used my friends OnePlus

I'm sure that most of this can be resolved with a jailbreak. 

There are also a bunch of advantages 

• Normally app updates arrive first. 
  • Apple to Apple products/software just works - FaceTime, calendar emails etc. 
  • Really simple to use (could be a disadvantage too)

No need to jailbreak; there's an app for that: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/call-recorder-free-record/id637819447 (in actual fact, several).

Here's another: http://www.tapeacall.com/

(I haven't tried any of the above in real life; if I did ever want to record a call, I'd probably do so using Google Voice.)

That's not true... I'm using a third party 2 meter cable (bought at my local handyman store for just 4 euro's).

I'm using it since 2 years now, and have absolutely no problems with it.

As long as you keep an eye on the voltage output it's ok... that's the major thing to keep in mind.

Other than that it doesn't matter really.

That's not true... I'm using a third party 2 meter cable (bought at my local handyman store for just 4 euro's).

I'm using it since 2 years now, and have absolutely no problems with it.

As long as you keep an eye on the voltage output it's ok... that's the major thing to keep in mind.

Other than that it doesn't matter really.

Sorry I wasn't specific enough, third party cables needs to be certified, which bump up the prices. I bought a cable from Amazon UK over Xmas and it refused to charge, every time it was plugged in, it complained that it was a supported accessory. 

Sorry I wasn't specific enough, third party cables needs to be certified, which bump up the prices. I bought a cable from Amazon UK over Xmas and it refused to charge, every time it was plugged in, it complained that it was a supported accessory. 

Never had a problem with 3rd party cables working, even very cheap knockoffs from dubious sources. What you don't get with cheap knockoffs is peace of mind that the thing is going to melt or break. 

No file manager is one of the biggest drawbacks of the iPhone. I could never go back since switching to Android. Now on Android I feel like I actually have a 5 inch personal computer in my hands. That, and the allowance of expandable microSD card storage.

No file manager is one of the biggest drawbacks of the iPhone. I could never go back since switching to Android. Now on Android I feel like I actually have a 5 inch personal computer in my hands. That, and the allowance of expandable microSD card storage.

You can get file managers, they might not be very good, granted. And microSD storage is down to manufacturer not Android, moot.

Never had a problem with 3rd party cables working, even very cheap knockoffs from dubious sources. What you don't get with cheap knockoffs is peace of mind that the thing is going to melt or break. 

Sniff, maybe I've just been really unfortunate. 

I am speaking for myself here, but honestly, as I have grown older, the appeal of using Android phones (and I have had many) has dwindled for a more stable ecosystem. I am all in favor users choosing what they want, but for me I am not interested in flashing "cutting edge ROMs" or using third part apps that turn out to be sketchy. There is a peace of mind when using the iPhone ecosystem. It is closed and therefore more apt to "just work".

This is not about Android vs. Apple. Android has lots of very cool features. But for me, my iPhone does everything that I want. Simple, yes. But I don't need more than it offers.

Just my 2 cents.

Sniff, maybe I've just been really unfortunate.

Very cheap knockoffs of any cable are dangerous and plain stupid. I've had plenty $1-5 micro usb fall apart or stop working. I have friends who have had cheap to expensive micro usb cables stop working, hell had a friend who's s5's cable melted to the phone and it was a Samsung one. They instantly said his warranty was void cause he was using a third party cable until he said "no it's the one I got with the phone" and sent them a picture. That's when they had no choice but replaced his phone at the local carrier after a lot of back and fourth.

Being cheap with technology, especially charging your technology will only hurt you. Either the piece of technology your using or physical hurt you.

I am speaking for myself here, but honestly, as I have grown older, the appeal of using Android phones (and I have had many) has dwindled for a more stable ecosystem. I am all in favor users choosing what they want, but for me I am not interested in flashing "cutting edge ROMs" or using third part apps that turn out to be sketchy. 

But you don't have to flash and receive the most cutting edge ROM to enjoy Android. That's for people who love to tinker and live on the XDA forums. You can still have an extremely satisfying android experience easily equivalent to iOS on your manufacturer's stock Android and also without resorting to ROMs. I'm not sure why the comparison is drawn as being from one extreme (locked down Apple) to the other extreme (custom ROM Android)? That's not at all how I see iOS vs Android.

Very cheap knockoffs of any cable are dangerous and plain stupid. I've had plenty $1-5 micro usb fall apart or stop working. I have friends who have had cheap to expensive micro usb cables stop working, hell had a friend who's s5's cable melted to the phone and it was a Samsung one. They instantly said his warranty was void cause he was using a third party cable until he said "no it's the one I got with the phone" and sent them a picture. That's when they had no choice but replaced his phone at the local carrier after a lot of back and fourth.

Being cheap with technology, especially charging your technology will only hurt you. Either the piece of technology your using or physical hurt you.

This wasn't a cheap knock off either it was a

I am speaking for myself here, but honestly, as I have grown older, the appeal of using Android phones (and I have had many) has dwindled for a more stable ecosystem. I am all in favor users choosing what they want, but for me I am not interested in flashing "cutting edge ROMs" or using third part apps that turn out to be sketchy. There is a peace of mind when using the iPhone ecosystem. It is closed and therefore more apt to "just work".

This is not about Android vs. Apple. Android has lots of very cool features. But for me, my iPhone does everything that I want. Simple, yes. But I don't need more than it offers.

Just my 2 cents.

EXACTLY what I'm loving soo much about my iPhone... I as well had many different phones over the years (iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, BlackBerry, Android, iPhone), but indeed as you say I prefer to have less freedom but just have something that works without too much concern.

But you don't have to flash and receive the most cutting edge ROM to enjoy Android. That's for people who love to tinker and live on the XDA forums. You can still have an extremely satisfying android experience easily equivalent to iOS on your manufacturer's stock Android and also without resorting to ROMs. I'm not sure why the comparison is drawn as being from one extreme (locked down Apple) to the other extreme (custom ROM Android)? That's not at all how I see iOS vs Android.

Your comment is exactly what I mean. It is not a you vs. me argument. I have use Android for many years and to me, it is great for those who want it. My comments are why I like the iPhone ecosystem.

the only drawback if I buy this phone is not being able to record the phone calls like android (i live in a country where it's legal)

so should I stick to Android then? I know you can work this by jailbreaking, but when I tried in the past (iphone 5), the battery drainage was killing 

That's probably one, I have an iPhone and will be jumping on the Android bandwagon soon enough. Here's a few that I found this is with stock iOS - 

• I want to put group of apps on the quick launch bar
  • Inability to remove stock apps
  • I think the overall locked down status of the phone really annoys me, I never knew the extent of this until I used my friends OnePlus

I'm sure that most of this can be resolved with a jailbreak. 

There are also a bunch of advantages 

• Normally app updates arrive first. 
  • Apple to Apple products/software just works - FaceTime, calendar emails etc. 
  • Really simple to use (could be a disadvantage too)

I want to like Android...I really do.  But, at work we did a POC project for a multi-function device running on Android that ran GB 2.3.4 if you can believe it.  The manufacturer couldn't get us an upgrade to KK in a timely matter and the whole project was canceled.  Because of that it really turned me off to Android.  The hardware was crap (2 generations old when they brought it to market), the software was crap, and it performed like crap.  Now, we also did a POC project for a multi-function device that used an iPhone 5c at its core and it performed outstandingly.  That being said, how does it pertain to you:

1. You can put a folder of apps in the dock without jailbreaking.  I do it now.  And it is quite easy.

2. 3rd party cables are outstanding and IMO work better than Apple ones...so long as they are mifi certified.  My favorite are from monoprice.

3. The whole point of the walled garden ecosystem is quality control.

4. Granted, inability to remove stock "apple" apps is annoying but put those in a folder and forget about them.  At least on an iPhone, you don't get the adware "carrier" crap that most Android phones come pre-installed with.

5. iOS updates!!! Apple controls it and it is not up to the carrier to decide if and/or when an iPhone on their network will receive it.

snip

You should try a new version it's changed a lot since then. 

Please share how you add the folder of apps edit - just figured it out. I feel a little silly now :blush:

I've done those with those apps, just a minor annoyances. I prefer the stock Android, rather than the carrier flavours. 

snip

I can understand the MFi certification for other aspects for other devices, but a cable? Literally just a cable? Is that something that's needed? As far as I'm concerned a cable is a cable.

You should try a new version it's changed a lot since then. 

Please share how you add the folder of apps!

I've done those with those apps, just a minor annoyances. I prefer the stock Android, rather than the carrier flavours. 

I can understand the MFi certification for other aspects for other devices, but a cable? Literally just a cable? Is that something that's needed? As far as I'm concerned a cable is a cable.

Put the apps you want into a folder and name it.  Then collapse the folder....tap and hold it and then drag it to the dock.  It works without any issues.

Cables need to be mifi certified so they can have that micro-chip in them that allows the idevice to see it as a certified one.  most knock ones will get the the message that it is an unapproved device/cable when you attach it.

I am currently testing an HP tablet that is on loan from them with lollipop and I just don't see the appeal.  The tablet itself is very nice but the OS is just ehhh.

Cables need to be mifi certified so they can have that micro-chip in them that allows the idevice to see it as a certified one.  most knock ones will get the the message that it is an unapproved device/cable when you attach it.

Yep got that group thing working, can't believe it's taken me this long :(

Reading a little more about the MFi certification I get that Apple want to maintain their image that's fine. If people want to pay a little extra to an official product, that's their prerogative. Why does Apple need to block/stop working cables that aren't MFi certified?

Yep got that group thing working, can't believe it's taken me this long :(

Reading a little more about the MFi certification I get that Apple want to maintain their image that's fine. If people want to pay a little extra to an official product, that's their prerogative. Why does Apple need to block/stop working cables that aren't MFi certified?

It's to prevent the problems that knock off cables have...such as the cables and chargers from China that catch fire.  It also ensures that mifi certified cables meet Apple's specs for how all devices are made that connect to their products.  It's all about QC.

What I really disliked about iPhone was how closed the file system is.

With my android I can connect to ANY pc and throw some files to my phone, that I can immediately use on my phone..
It is just like a memory card, that my phone uses, is also used by any computer I want.
Be it photos, presentations, documents, videos, audiobooks, archives, etc...

Can't do that with iPhone.

iTunes for Windows is terribly limiting .

With my android I can connect to ANY pc and through some files to my phone That I can immediately use on my phone..

It is just like a memory card that my phone uses is also used by any ccomputer I want.

Be it Photographs presentations documents videos audiobooks archive etc...

While I completely and totally agree about iTunes...I just don't use it and I haven't used it in I cannot tell you how long.  I use outlook for all of my PIM usage.  I stream music from Spotify.  I use onedrive to sync everything.  And I use iCloud to backup my devices.  I don't actually use iTunes anymore for anything.

At first, I thought that a lack of an actually filesystem might be an annoyance, but I don't actually need one now.

I have cheap $6 cables from the gas station laying around the car / house as spares and never had problem using them except the occasional "Accessory may not be supported" in the car but that was mostly with my iPhone 5 - with the 6 I have only seen it a handful of times (yet it still charges / syncs). But it is annoying that it does that, I agree.

With my android I can connect to ANY pc and throw some files to my phone, that I can immediately use on my phone..

It is just like a memory card, that my phone uses, is also used by any computer I want.

Be it photos, presentations, documents, videos, audiobooks, archives, etc...

That is true and it is annoying. For everything except music I use Dropbox which works well. I also use Carousel from Dropbox as my photo gallery and that works well too. Syncing music is annoying but don't really get why people complain about iTunes that much - it works fine for me I even use it as my audio player on my Windows PC's at work etc...

Just my 2 cents.

That's kind of the same reasoning I had when I switched from Android to WP last year...  Nothing against Android, it's a great OS and so on... but I got fed up with the way updates are handled (often not at all) and all the damned idiots on XDA...

I just want a phone that has some useful apps, and that works. As I have issues with Apple. that left me... Windows Phone.