Two-father babies possible in just two years, scientists say

Scientists have claimed that babies created with the genetic material of two men could be a possibility in as little as two years.

Researchers at Cambridge University and Israel

I don't understand why people think we have to mess with nature!!!

Yeah leave it the way it was! When people drowned under fluid in their lungs and the average lifespan was half of todays.

people sceptical to science can only be regarded as hardcore catholics or rick santorums in that regard.

every scientist / medic has to swear a code of honor that he will only use his knowledge to improve peoples life.

also - and this is often forgotten - most science or medical progresses open more options 

no one is going to force anything to people. 

Read somewhere once that mankind is like a spreading virus, this kind of technology just increases the immunity of the virus helping it spread faster and last longer. 

I agree.... We already have a dangerous overpopulation problem, and we want to make it get worse faster???

messing with nature? everything you do changes nature and nature interacts with you. Humans are part of nature (unless you believe in religion). Buy something? Make something? Use something? Everything a human does is manipulating nature to its needs.

people sceptical to science can only be regarded as hardcore catholics or rick santorums in that regard.

every scientist / medic has to swear a code of honor that he will only use his knowledge to improve peoples life.

also - and this is often forgotten - most science or medical progresses open more options 

That's an arrogant statement... how do we know how this will effect lives? 

It's our nature to do so. 

how do we know how this will effect lives? 

We wont til it's tried. 

So much wrong with this post it is just amazing.

The only thing I can pull out of this as true is this line.  " most science or medical progresses open more options "

The rest is generalizations or out right wrong.

"people skeptical to science can only be regarded as hardcore Catholics"

You do realize the Pontifical Academy of Sciences is considered a top flight science foundation funded by the Catholic Church.

The person that put the Big Bang theory of Cosmology together was a Catholic Priest?

43 members of this group have Nobel Prizes for Science.

"every scientist / medic has to swear a code of honor that he will only use his knowledge to improve peoples life"

No they don't.  The Hippocratic oath is only Doctors in Western Countries.

Remember there are side effects to any science that you do.  However, I to am kind of curious if we will be creating a third gender with YY if that combination is even possible.

Not force anything onto people?  Uhm... how about forcing three parents onto the child that was created under this "improving people's lives" junk being vomitted?  

Not force anything onto people?  Uhm... how about forcing three parents onto the child that was created under this "improving people's lives" junk being vomitted?  

I think the whole genetics vs parenthood thing is overrated anyway. Half of my DNA comes from someone I don't even know and met just once, that may change the way I feel about it.

Relations through DNA are overrated if you ask me. It's the people who care for you that matter, not the people whose DNA you might share.

(Which is also why I think that adoption should always be considered before expensive fertility treatments and stuff like that.)

so we finally have the 3rd genetic gender:

XY, XX and YY?

Nah, for starters you need the X chromosome, and even then there's already conditions where people can be born with more or less of the normal chromosome amounts (Such as just X, or XYY, XXY, etc.) and we don't consider them a different sex.

What this would allow you to do is take the X chromosome from one father, and the Y from another (If you wanted a boy), or X/X for a girl. (Along with a donor egg and mitochondrial DNA from either the egg donor or one of the fathers.) It's a pretty interesting proposition.

They might want to check out Chapter 6 of this book. It speaks of our current exponential growth rate and what is to come because of it.This would only add to the issues Hawking discusses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Universe_in_a_Nutshell

WOW!!!... Just about everything you wrote here is dead wrong...

I'm a Christian..  And i believe in science...

Stem Cells - All for it...

This 2Dads thing?... Leave it alone...

Deep Sea Exploration that can make human lives better... Why not? Go for it..  Most things that make our lives better are right on this planet and within reach...

Some things should just be left alone... And there are some things that should be explored...

Some things should just be left alone... And there are some things that should be explored...

But who decides what should be left alone and what shouldn't be? Everyone has their opinion and limits. There are some that would say deep sea exploration should be left alone too.

i think NASA should change its name to NOSA (National Oceanic and Sea Administration) and start explored the sea. Hubble for the ocean. :)

Already exists. It called the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, aka NOAA.

But who decides what should be left alone and what shouldn't be? Everyone has their opinion and limits.

>

The ethical issues around "designer babies" are longstanding and shared by secular and religious people in and out of medicine, and the recent discoveries in epigenetics underscore how much we don't know. DNA isn't everything.

As to the slippery slope designer children could represent, high end sci-fi is replete with examples of how it could go very bad in the wrong hands. There are a lot of "wrong hands" in this world.

It could also create a caste system worse than we have now; Perfects and Regulars. This could cause a new round of discrimination - see 'Gattica.' At least now with work and persistence there's upward mobility, but retroactive Perfect-ion is another matter.

The ethical issues around "designer babies" are longstanding and shared by secular and religious people in and out of medicine, and the recent discoveries in epigenetics underscore how much we don't know. DNA isn't everything.

As to the slippery slope designer children could represent, high end sci-fi is replete with examples of how it could go very bad in the wrong hands. There are a lot of "wrong hands" in this world.

It could also create a caste system worse than we have now; Perfects and Regulars. This could cause a new round of discrimination - see 'Gattica.' At least now with work and persistence there's upward mobility, but retroactive Perfect-ion is another matter.

I do see the horrible downsides, but I also see the upsides. It could go very bad in the wrong hands but the reverse could be said about it could go very good in the right hands. But the question still remains, who decides?

Certainly not the propellor-headed academics who don't live in the really-real world, of which there are many. They've caused enough trouble already. This needs multidisciplinary inputs, secular and philosophical, and policymakers who can make limits stick. If that means putting some of these techs under ITAR as you would dual-use techs that have military applications - so be it.