Sound device and drivers installed but computer says "no".

Hello!

I have a win 8.1 pro x64 PC. Recently I tried to install a old SB 2 Live Z and after that a Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card. Neither worked. (I installed the Asus card in a different computer where I am testing Win 10 and it works flawlessly).

However on my main computer the sound problem persists.

Trying now to get at least the on-board audio back.

Basically, it seems the drivers are installed, devices are visible, but there no sound. The troubleshooter says the device is not started, and I can't either disable the default device or change it in the Playback Devices list.

So I'm not sure what the problem is. Registry error? Services not started? Is there perhaps a way to reset all sound devices?

Kind Regards

Regert, Sweden.

system restore to a previous time that it did work would be the easiest solution.

If not, try a different driver.

Well I've tried that but the restore points didn't go that far. :/

I only have one driver for the onboard audio that I am trying to restore. Do you think installing a older Win 7 version might help?

You might have to turn off the onboard audio via the BIOS. I had to do that on one of my older computers to install a sound card.

• Like 1

Well I've tried everything.

I'm thinking if all the different drivers I've tried previously could have messed up IRQ, or the register. Really strange.

Basically it seems that

1. I can't change or disable the sound units for some reason.

2. The drivers and devices are installed and identified, but there are no sound bars or so. I.E no indication of sound being produced or received. The meters seem to be gone.

Solved it.

It turned out to be a Windows 7 bug in Windows 8.

Basically what happens is that somehow the user disappears in the list over user that can play sounds in the sound renderings list in the registry.

So you have to go there and fix in manually by putting your user back.

Solved everything.

So now I am running my Asus Xonar in the main PC. However if view the "recording devices" tab, the microphone on the Xonar starts to click and the tab hands until I sign out.