RAM bad?

Check if your on-board graphics card is still enabled in the BIOS. If memory is bad it will just cause crashes; the OS won't work out what's bad and then not let you use it.

Intel i7 1st generation, I don't think comes with Integrated GPU, it could be something else.

Open "Resource Monitor" and see memory tab and see how much is hardware reserved:

LFsl3Qj.png

Ok this is odd... something is wrong.. gonna check my BIOS now...

From ASUS site FAQ - http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/93533/

I have install total 4GB memory on my motherboard. However, it can only recognize around 3.1GB or less. My friend's SLI board even less than 3GB. What's up? How should I do to recognize 4GB totally?

If you installed total 4GB memory, the system will detect less than 4GB of total memory because of address space allocation for other critical functions, such as:

- System BIOS (including motherboard, add-on cards, etc..)
- Motherboards resources
- Memory mapped I/O
- configuration for AGP/PCI-Ex/PCI
- Other memory allocations for PCI devices

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result of different total memory size.
e.g. more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses.

On a SLI system, since PCI-Ex graphic cards will occupy around 256MB, another 256MB will be occupied after you install a 2nd PCI-Ex graphic card. Hence, 2.75GB memory left only if two SLI cards installed on A8N-SLI Premium while 3.0GB memory left with one graphic card without other add-on devices.

This limitation applies to most chipsets & Microsoft Windows 32-bit version operating systems.

Thanks Lip... I never really notice that my computer take so much RAM like that before.  I had 8GB before and I was able to get 8GB from it... After I upgrade to 24GB I just realize that I now don't have all the RAM I suppose to have.  So do you guys think this is normal?  Can someone show me the snapshot of their RAM index?  I mean like the first snapshot I post in the OP.

i have 16gb, windows 8.1 64 bit.  15.99    available, only .1 reserved

But really, unless you are noticing performance issues, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it? Perhaps format? Some people swear by formatting a pc every time new hardware gets added

I don't think you should have that much reserved.

Are you using the latest bios for your MB? Maybe try resetting the bios to the default value and re-disable onboard things you don't need.

• Like 1

Just taking a stab at this.  The i7-980 can only handle up to 24GB of memory.  http://ark.intel.com/products/58664/Intel-Core-i7-980-Processor-12M-Cache-3_33-GHz-4_8-GTs-Intel-QPI

24GB of memory + 1Gb video card = 25GB.  

i7 can only handle 24GB so your computer reserves 1GB for the video card and gives you 23GB usable.

Just an assumption...I'm not sure if the i7s max memory is total system memory (RAM + video card) or just RAM only.  I really couldn't find a clear answer on Google on how maximum memory of the i7-980 was affect by RAM and video card memory.

/shrugs

It most certainly is not Zip's explanation since you're not limited by a 32bit OS or have a integrated video card.

i'd guess some part of your ram is bad(ecc failure) so windows doesn't use that bank.

try booting with one stick at a time, and see which stick doesn't give you all the memory. theres the culprit.

Yeah, I noticed that OP has 64-bit OS, but above mentioned does apply to 64-bit as well in case of X58 chipset since its cross manufacture scenario and many faced it, Google it.

- If he has other PCI cards then they reserve 256 MB memory. See below mentioned thread on similar situation:

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=3836.0

User solved its issue, through configuring RAM in msconfig.

[sTART>RUN and type 'msconfig' without quotes]

Setting maximum memory available to 24 GB:

g088OjH.png

- Another possible scenario, you are using Windows 7 or Windows Server OS?

For Windows Server, there is some restriction where certain product keys and their activation could cause less RAM usable by OS, like in below mentioned stackoverflow scenario:

http://serverfault.com/questions/230225/how-do-i-upgrade-windows-server-2008-r2-standard-oem-key-to-enterprise-msdn-k

Windows Server 2008 RAM usage version limit - https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_server_2008

- Personal suggestion, do BIOS Reset using CMOS button.

• Like 2

YOU SIR, ARE THE GRAND MASTER! :)  I love you.  You know that! :)

I forgot that at one time, just right before I image my vanila fresh installed Win 7, I had set the Memory to "Maximum memory:" but I never realized that once I restart the computer, that seeting is changed to "0".  It will not be saved at 24656 or whatever.  Once you restart the computer, that "Maximum memory:" is set to "0" value.  THAT WAS THE MAIN CAUSE!!!!  The "Mark Solved" is well deserved ONCE again! :)

The solution was to unticked "Maximum memory" which I had it set to ticked!  :)

post-956-0-75492000-1425079918.png

post-956-0-27338600-1425079934.png

• Like 2