How is this build?

As others have said you are spending money on the wrong things...

if someone is looking for a "retina-like" screen - they wont like a 27" Asus ROG @ $700 mentioned above

Right now, the 27" 5K Dell @ $2000 is one of the best...hence the price.

I have 24GB RAM because of VMWare, but only once have I run 2 VMs at a time, and only gave each of them 4GB...so think about that.

Even though that is a great CPU heatsink  -- you really out to do something like a Corsair H80i (water, closed loop, no maintenance)

I just went to PC builder and did a similar build and spent $4700 - so maybe Im not the person to talk too :blush:

I got the ram for VMWare Workstation and still haven't approached it. I got 16 gigs. :-) A SSD raid 0 helps too

Three ESXi hosts and one DC and I'm up to 20GB  :pinch:

As others have said you are spending money on the wrong things...

if someone is looking for a "retina-like" screen - they wont like a 27" Asus ROG @ $700 mentioned above

Right now, the 27" 5K Dell @ $2000 is one of the best...hence the price.

I have 24GB RAM because of VMWare, but only once have I run 2 VMs at a time, and only gave each of them 4GB...so think about that.

Even though that is a great CPU heatsink -- you really out to do something like a Corsair H80i (water, closed loop, no maintenance)

I just went to PC builder and did a similar build and spent $4700 - so maybe Im not the person to talk too :blush:

What monitor should I get and what GPU?

Okay. Well here's what I need.

A retina screen.

GPU and CPU that is able to handle GTA 4 in the highest settings without lag or without any kind of disruption.

Coolers

Anyone that can help with this? Thanks,

What I posted will do the job - and then some.

As far as the "retina screen" - the 5K 27" Dell will do the job - but its $2000
If you want something of that caliber - your budget will jump way up

GTA4 ??  really ?  I thought you said it was for work too ?  If you play that game - surely you're only 12... LOL

OK - well if you want a proper system to push images at insane rez - and run VMs - your budget wont cut it -

How much can you spend - I'll put together something that will do the job - but if you say "I cant spend more than $3500" we you have a problem

As far as "coolers" - I recommend Yeti
If you're referring to watercooling for this build - cant really go wrong with the Corsair stuff - no need to spend another $400 for a custom job.

What I posted will do the job - and then some.

As far as the "retina screen" - the 5K 27" Dell will do the job - but its $2000

If you want something of that caliber - your budget will jump way up

GTA4 ?? really ? I thought you said it was for work too ? If you play that game - surely you're only 12... LOL

OK - well if you want a proper system to push images at insane rez - and run VMs - your budget wont cut it -

How much can you spend - I'll put together something that will do the job - but if you say "I cant spend more than $3500" we you have a problem

As far as "coolers" - I recommend Yeti

If you're referring to watercooling for this build - cant really go wrong with the Corsair stuff - no need to spend another $400 for a custom job.

Yeah its a computer for everything. I would like to be able to play GTA 5 and I would like to be be run VM's without lag.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, my friend has a Samsung laptop, the screen looks like a retina screen. Its not custom built or anything but that screen is the kind of display I'm looking for to be honest.

So far, there is no budget. I would just like to see the total of the build will be and then I will adjust the price and items and such.

Thanks,

OK,

That build is mostly based off a build i did recently for a friend and other parts you had already picked.

• The cpu was swapped out for the 6 core one as each individual core is actually clocked faster. It starts where the 8 core ends. You also get just about all the performance for half the price.
  • Left the cooler the same its prob the best value air cooler out there atm. To beat it you really have to up the amount your spending on cooling.
  • Swapped the MB for the Asus one. Lots of reasons why but summed up its better. :p
  • Swapped out your ram for 16gb from gskill. 32 would be a waste of your cash. You wont see performance increases better to put the money else where. If for some reason you do need more in the future you still have another 4 slots for more ram. But your 4 channels of memory are covered so you have max performance from them already.
  • Swapped the 1tb ssd from the pro to the evo model. It does mean a 5yr warranty instead of a 10 but both models alreay max out the sata interface they use. An option could be to go dual 500gb evo's in raid 0 for more speed! I also added a mechanical HDD for more 'cold' storage. Think movies, music etc anything that is big and doesnt need to be on the ssd lives there. I would also be backing up the ssd to here or a nas. You can adjust the size up to 6tb for one disk!
  • Swapped out the GTX 970 for the evga 980. 980 is faster has real access to all its 4gb of ram unlike the 970. This is really important if you want to do things with 4k. The evga was a good combo of price, high factory clocks and cooler. Another one I like is the Gigabyte G1 980. I only put in one card but the psu can handle 2 easily. The mobo and cpu also have the pcie lanes to fully support more then one.
  • Left the 750D case, its a good case same one i used for my friends build. Comes with fans in the front and rear. Plenty of fan slots and places to put radiators and hdds.
  • PSU was picked so you can add other parts in the future and run all day everyday!
  • DVDRW is a DVDRW! I did build my mates one without an internal one and got him a slim external Bluray burner that can sit on his desk. It might be a bit more friendly to you like that, if you have your case out of reach so to speak. It also means he can easily add a bluray burner to just about anything with a USB port!
  • Windows is windows. 10 will be good.
  • I changed the monitor out for the asus one. Its the same as my mates one. I used it, very nice. Made me like monitors 27". Its not 4k but still higher then full hd. The more pixels you have in the screen the worse your games will run. This is a good inbetween. If you do want 4k or higher, you will have to get more then one gpu to handle the load. This monitor also has loads of 'nice' features. 3 of these in surround would be as epic as the cost :p
  • Keyboard is really up to you, I have the corsair K90, didnt think i would use the extra buttons but now i use them heaps. some are program shortcuts like calc, paint, notepad etc others change my sound output between my headphones, amps and speakers. Look over the different type of Switches to find ones you like. I have reds but would like the less noisy version. Would also like red backlighting but thats me.
  • Same with the mouse its up to you. There are different ways of holding a mouse claw, palm and tip. that really determines which mouse to get along with the type of games you play. Im a tip grip person and have the Logitech G700, great mouse would buy again but now they have that sweet looking G700s!
Bonus: headset for gaming either one of these will be good. ATH-ADG1, ATH-AG1. One is open so your ears can breath and hear around you, one is closed so you only really hear the game but gets slightly better bass.
Thanks so much for that. Its greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't need a liquid cooler? Also, why don't I need 2 GPU's like my last build? Also, this is a stupid question to you probably but what determines how good and clear and nice the screen looks? The GPU, the monitor, or both?

Thanks,

Edit: some other guy made an edit for this build for me, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2ctW7P

What do you think?

I wouldn't recommend the ASUS ROG Swift. This monitor is having lots and lots of problems. Just google for" ROG Swift blurred text", you'll find tons of threads of people complaining and returning their monitors.

After 1 month of talking to ASUS, I finally managed to return my ROG Swift. I was lucky and they refunded the purchase price (great support), but I am not buying the same monitor again.

You can go a liquid cooler, I have one. If your pc will live somewhere hot or you want to cut down noise get one. This is the build i did for my friend, see how similar it is. It also has a water cooler as he wanted cool and quiet. Its also why i went dual asus strix cards as those ones can stop the fans when they arent hot enough. same as those msi cards That build i also OC'd to 4.3ghz and left gpu's stock. It benched in the top 1% for 3dmark firestrike.

Looked at your friends build. Nothing wrong with it would buy. Only points are the cpu i listed is faster core for core against the 8 core one. It only has the advantage of 2 more cores which means 4 more threads. I really dont think its worth the money at all. But if we are making it rain then go nuts. In reviews where they were able to clock it as high as the 6 core one it was a beast.

If its raining money go 32gb but DDR4 is at a premium ATM. Going 32gb now would let you add 32gb later hitting the mobo limit of 64gb. I still think 16gb would be more then enough for you!

You really cant go wrong with it. Just how much money are you prepared to part with.

Thank you again, so much. But do you think I have enough fans?

Yes, i put the x61 at the top of the case pushing air out through the top, i did swap out the rear fan for a nice looking corsair one to help colour match the parts but the stock ones that come with it are good. The case supports 120mm and 140mm fans so i would go the bigger ones to move more air quietly. You can always add more fans later. On another note there is a good dvd drive mod that helps hide the internal drive using the front plate that you remove. Its on youtube.

Thank you so much. If I have anymore questions, I will post on this thread. Thanks,