Galaxy S6 Achieves Monstrously High Benchmark Scores, Leaves HTC One M9 In The Dust

yeah I actually meant the note 4  exynos variant. But should memory change be that drastic of a performance increase?

The memory change (and frequency update since the 14nm version can be clocked faster) results in the memory bandwidth going from 13.2 GB/s to 25.6 GB/s so that's non-trivial.

Also the MP6 to MP8 means the new one goes from 6 shader cores to 8 which is a big difference.

I don't know how much of a difference all that makes, that's why I was curious if you'd seen benchmarks of the new S6 GPU but there are enough changes that I don't think it's safe to assume it performs similarly to the Exynos in the Note 4.  This is a whole new beast.

• Like 2

The battery life really depends on how the phone is being used. I was really worried about the battery life on the S5, but had to get it for my wife - she wanted it. She gets 3days (upto 4) on the S5 easily, 2-10min of phone calls, 30-60 mins of music, an odd photo or two, a few minutes on Facebook each day. The Moto G she had previously lasted almost a week on a single charge.

• Like 1

The battery life really depends on how the phone is being used. I was really worried about the battery life on the S5, but had to get it for my wife - she wanted it. She gets 3days (upto 4) on the S5 easily, 2-10min of phone calls, 30-60 mins of music, an odd photo or two, a few minutes on Facebook each day. The Moto G she had previously lasted almost a week on a single charge.

+1 about the same here (if used in that exact manner)

:laugh:

Really though, does McAfee bog down the system that much?

Noobs think so.  In the corporate environment, McAfee is the undefeated king. 

Noobs think so.  In the corporate environment, McAfee is the undefeated king. 

symantec corporate antivirus is great too.    nothing like the consumer version.   

but it is not available to regular customers.

i am 100% it is the same with McAfee.     and the stuff they include on every phone sold is garanteed to be the bloated crap stuff.

The memory change (and frequency update since the 14nm version can be clocked faster) results in the memory bandwidth going from 13.2 GB/s to 25.6 GB/s so that's non-trivial.

Also the MP6 to MP8 means the new one goes from 6 shader cores to 8 which is a big difference.

I don't know how much of a difference all that makes, that's why I was curious if you'd seen benchmarks of the new S6 GPU but there are enough changes that I don't think it's safe to assume it performs similarly to the Exynos in the Note 4.  This is a whole new beast.

ah! no you got me impatiently waiting for gpu reviews to popup... i've always liked anantechs review, really in depth, in every little design change hardware wise. have to wait and see I guess.

On the GPU side of things for example, the voltage drop is huge, showing an average of -200mV up to -300mV decrease at the 700MHz state. Overall, this move to 14nm should dramatically reduce power consumption as the effect of leakage is nearly eliminated.

DSC_2739_575px.jpg

Outside of process node, the Exynos 7420 is a rather standard big.LITTLE SoC, with four Cortex A57s at 2.1 GHz and four Cortex A53s at 1.5 GHz. However, the Exynos 7420 represents the first Exynos SoC to have full AArch64 support in software, unlike the Exynos 5433. The GPU is upgraded to a Mali T760MP8 solution running at up to 772MHz as the top frequency and 700MHz as the secondary maximum state, a huge improvement as the voltages top out at 825mV. We should be seeing very impressive battery efficiency improvements due to the 14nm process. The SoC supports LPDRR4 running at 1552MHz, and Samsung has equipped the Galaxy S6 with a UFS 2.0 storage solution. It remains to be seen whether this is a major point of differentiation this year, but in practice it seems that the Galaxy S 6 was smooth. Areas like the multitasking interface were noticeably faster to open and close, but there were still some scenarios where I saw some slight frame drops which is likely due to the pre-release software.

http://anandtech.com/show/8999/samsung-announces-the-galaxy-s6

That's not always true.  AT&T and Verizon locked the bootloader on the S 4 and S 5.

I don't have any crapware on my phone. :p

My phone is running smoothly and quickly. :D

I just wish the phone wasn't so big. The biggest i'd go is 4.7

I just wish the phone wasn't so small! The smallest i'd go is 5.5. Preferably a 5.9 inch phablet but priced at S prices, not Galaxy Note prices. :p

This is one hell of a beast. The GPU is rated at 190 gflops. For reference, the PS3 is rated at ~230. I'm skeptical about the AnTuTu benchmark (would have been better to benchmark it with AnTuTu X) but wow.

I don't have any crapware on my phone. :p

My phone is running smoothly and quickly. :D

...And I have unlimited data and my phone is using Loki so I can bypass the locked bootloader..  No crapware here either.

Quote: "well above the values produced by devices like the LG G3, Nexus 6, LG G Flex 2, and even the new HTC One M9."

Well derrr, what would be the point of making a new phone if it had lower specs/ratings than phones that have already been out quite some time.

And when the new versions of the phones mentioned come out, they will beat the Galaxy S6, of course.

Only phone I'm interested in and waiting for, is the LG G4, which of course will blow the Galaxy S6 away, just like the G3 did against the S5.