Your thoughts on VR headsets?

I already consider the VR Market flooded and fragmented, and that's kinda funny considering none are out in the wild at retailers and such...

VR is already at a crossroads if you ask me. It still has a chance of taking off or crashing and burning, but as someone stated earlier the VR Market is already fragmented and there is no standard established.

Here is another thing that that can make or break VR, being tethered.  If I'm at the mercy of a tether, that's a NO go right off the jump for me.

Price?.. How pricey or not are these devices?  Experience.  When they release all I get is FPS Narrative/Explorations, and Racing games.

And Price and what you get for your $$$ will definitely go hand and hand with most people.

Is Morpheus confined to the PS4 only?  How much will a Morpheus Bundle cost (Morpheus, PS Camera, Move Controllers, etc?)

Too many variables that can make or break VR already...

A next step in interface, more natural and intuitive... if they can figure it out. 

See this video from amazing documentary of history of computers (1990's)

48:44 minutes mark - Topic of VR / 3D interaction.

http://waxy.org/2008/06/the_machine_that_changed_the_world_the_paperback_computer/

25+ years and they've not cracked the shell yet, but that's not to say stop trying.

VR is already at a crossroads if you ask me. It still has a chance of taking off or crashing and burning, but as someone stated earlier the VR Market is already fragmented and there is no standard established.

I don't see a unifying standard coming anytime soon (if ever) and I really don't think that hurts VR. There is no unifying 3D graphics standard either yet there are still a few games with 3D graphics. In theory we have OpenGL but it's not the most used API, Microsoft has DirectX, the PS4 has GNM and GNMX, Apple now has Metal, AMD has Mantle, etc. Despite 3D graphics APIs being horribly fragmented 3D games are still being made.

Here is another thing that that can make or break VR, being tethered.  If I'm at the mercy of a tether, that's a NO go right off the jump for me.

Then VR is a no go for you for a while. VR headsets are VERY latency sensitive, it's one of the things that contribute to making people feel sick. They HAVE to get that down as low as possible and wireless adds too much latency. I don't think there is going to be a wireless unit until the "computer" is actually IN the headset. As long as you're using a PC or game console to do the computing you're going to need a "tether" to it.

Price?.. How pricey or not are these devices?

That IS the big question. The Samsung Gear VR (1st gen, they've announced a 2nd gen device but I haven't seen the price on it and Carmack claims a 3rd gen device will be out this year) retails for $200 for the headset. The Oculus DK2 is $350 (headset + camera) but I think they want the retail version to be cheaper than that. My guess is the headset will all be around $200.

Experience.  When they release all I get is FPS Narrative/Explorations, and Racing games.

There are a lot of different types of "experiences" being developed. Some will work, some wont, it's a new technology it's not going to come out of the gates with a huge software library of wonderfully great games any more than the PS4 or Xbox One came out with huge software libraries at launch.

Is Morpheus confined to the PS4 only?

Yes. Just like the PlayStation Camera is PS4 only and the DualShock 4 is PlayStation 4 only. Why would it be otherwise? Project Morpheus is a PS4 VR solution.

PS Eye was the PS3 hardware.  Morpheus uses the creatively named PlayStation Camera for the PS4.

I think it's an odd sentiment though.  Who would have thought a PS4 VR solution would be restricted by PS4 hardware.

Just like the PS4 has an inferior CPU and Gfx card than gamer PCs I have no doubt a PC based VR solution will have better specs.  I bet the PC solution will also cost more to get those better specs and sell far less because buying the better spec PC and better spec VR hardware is going to cost a lot more than a PS4 + Morpheus.

Thanks for the answers. But I would want 1 device, where I can go my PC, PS4, Xbox One, and maybe even a tablet.

If VR were to actually take off, now people will be in a bind on getting a PC or Console based VR unit

I would want 1 device, where I can go my PC, PS4, Xbox One, and maybe even a tablet.

That is NEVER going to happen, what else even works like that?

MAYBE if MS enters the VR arena you'll be able to use the same headset on Win10 PCs, Xbox, and Win10 phones and tablets but it's not going to work on PlayStation or probably Mac or Linux or Android. Sony's will only work on PS4 just like the PS4 Camera and the DualShock 4, I don't really get why anyone would expect otherwise (people may hack it to unofficially work on other devices though.) Valve is going to require Steam so it's only going to work on devices that run Steam (PC, Linux, Mac) and I can't see Sony putting Steam on the PS4 or MS putting it on the Xbox. Valve doesn't care about the hardware so much as SteamVR. HTC is only the first hardware to support SteamVR, you can expect more to follow.

If VR were to actually take off, now people will be in a bind on getting a PC or Console based VR unit

No more of a bind then when they have to decide to get games on a PC or console. PlayStation games don't run on a PC or Xbox either. The consoles have always had their own ecosystem.
  • Like 1

VR has a lot of potential in the future but for today it just isn't practical.

Right but today is learning stage for them and/or working on bugs out so they can be prepared for mainstream in the future.

Maybe 2020 or so VR units will be out to public for gaming or business usages.

There are many ways to use VR instead of gaming only.

Thanks for the answers. But I would want 1 device, where I can go my PC, PS4, Xbox One, and maybe even a tablet.

Have a an open, unified standard for VR that allows multiple products would be a big to help adoption.

My issue with VR headsets is the headsets themselves. Until they are a trivial piece of hardware (like a small brim of a pair of glasses or something which are extremely light to wear) I doubt they'll pick up much. I know there's all these japanese anime shows that tout VR headsets and stuff but these do something that we can't yet do today. That's plug your senses into the virtual world (which first of all protects you from hurting yourself while experience the VR environment as well as adds additional realism).

I want to try one of them out before I judge them, but I get the feeling hours of gameplay with a nearly one pound weight on your head will get uncomfortable very quick. Even high quality headphones (which will distribute the weight far better than the Oculus Rift dk2 does) can cause some discomfort after long use and they are between 200g and 350g (Oculus is 440g).

As much as I want to like using one of these VR headset, I just can't see myself enjoying that much weight on my head for very long. Others may think different.

Not interested in VR / VR headsets. Somewhat annoyed that Steam is bundling their take on it down with the Steam client without an option to decline.

That is NEVER going to happen, what else even works like that?MAYBE if MS enters the VR arena you'll be able to use the same headset on Win10 PCs, Xbox, and Win10 phones and tablets but it's not going to work on PlayStation or probably Mac or Linux or Android. Sony's will only work on PS4 just like the PS4 Camera and the DualShock 4, I don't really get why anyone would expect otherwise (people may hack it to unofficially work on other devices though.) Valve is going to require Steam so it's only going to work on devices that run Steam (PC, Linux, Mac) and I can't see Sony putting Steam on the PS4 or MS putting it on the Xbox. Valve doesn't care about the hardware so much as SteamVR. HTC is only the first hardware to support SteamVR, you can expect more to follow.No more of a bind then when they have to decide to get games on a PC or console. PlayStation games don't run on a PC or Xbox either. The consoles have always had their own ecosystem.

I believe this new Microsoft will be the one's to go platform agnostic.

Look at Hololens. I know that's AR and not VR, but MS is already in the talks of it working with all Windows & Windows Phone devices including Xbox. If True, this already will make Halolens my #1 Choice.

I was really hoping that Oculous, would be the ones to fulfill the VR itch across multiple platforms/devices

I can't wait till next year when all these VR solutions will fail. Sony most of all making hype out of this.

Weird how some want people or businesses to actually fail. So does this help anyone exactly?

But in case you missed the news, Sony has had many fails...most companies and people do but to actually want it? That's fckd up dude.

Personally I always hope that everyone will succeed because it only serves to benefit...well everyone.

Weird how some want people or businesses to actually fail. So does this help anyone exactly?

But in case you missed the news, Sony has had many fails...most companies and people do but to actually want it? That's fckd up dude.

Personally I always hope that everyone will succeed because it only serves to benefit...well everyone.

Its not like Sony has lost of money. Wouldn't be better to spend their money on other things then this crap?   Augmented Reality much more useful.

My thoughts?  It would have to be either extremely awesome on PC or on the platforms I care about (which does not include the PS4, yet.)

I'm not sold on having a giant thing on my head, I can't even stand large headphones often enough.

We'll see.

I believe this new Microsoft will be the one's to go platform agnostic.

I don't think that will happen but I guess it's possible.

Look at Hololens. I know that's AR and not VR, but MS is already in the talks of it working with all Windows & Windows Phone devices including Xbox. If True, this already will make Halolens my #1 Choice.

I think Hololens is really cool as well but as you noted it's AR and not VR. Even setting that aside though it's self contained so really isn't the same kind of device. It runs a version of Win10 on the headset itself so it won't be hooking to the Xbox or a PC or Windows Phone, it's already running it's own OS and doesn't need to connect to anything else for processing. Morpheus and HTC/Valve Vive are just peripherals not stand alone devices. They're basically I/O devices for computers and consoles.

I was really hoping that Oculous, would be the ones to fulfill the VR itch across multiple platforms/devices

They have their own hardware and API which like SteamVR they will license to others. Right now Samsung is making hardware using it in their Gear VR products but others may join them in the future if VR takes off. You're going to have PC indies and such that use their API but I suspect most PC games will use SteamVR since they'll likely sell their games on Steam anyway. Oculus will likely be the first to have a stand alone device (like the Hololens) that has the full computer in the headset but the hardware/costs are still too high for that to happen in v1.

Halolens? I guess that would go well with Cortana and Spartan.

Valve claims they solved the motion sickness issue.

As for API, OpenGL and Mantle are being used to create a new open source API, Vulkan, which is being supported by Valve, AMD, and many others.

I really think VR is the future. It may be a gimmick right now because of its limited applicability but imagine the fluidity and realism VR has the potential of introducing, especially in communication and just interacting with information.

If its only for Steam OS that is very small market.  Its better to make both for Windows and Steam OS. Vulcan is going to irrelevant for year or so.  AMD basically said Mantle is dead. So best to support DIrectX 12 and Vulcan when it is out.

As for API, OpenGL and Mantle are being used to create a new open source API, Vulkan, which is being supported by Valve, AMD, and many others.

Vulkan is to OpenGL as DX12 is to DirectX. Mantle "inspired" both Vulkan and DX12. Valve supports Vulkan because they support OpenGL since Steam now runs on Linux and Mac as well as Windows. AMD, nVidia, Intel, etc. will support Vulkan just like they do OpenGL. None of that is going to make Vulkan's share of the market any larger than OpenGLs is today. Vulkan is necessary to just retain current OpenGL supporters so they have something to compete with DX12 and Apples Metal API (also similar to Mantle). The same people who support OpenGL today will support Vulkan tomorrow, it's not going cause a people using DX today to move to it. They could have just called it OpenGL 5.0 but that doesn't sound as cool.

I don't think VR will be as big as these companies who are investing into it are hoping, but I think it will pave the way for holographic media which once created in a more consumer friendly format will be what takes over from current day tv's, monitors and maybe even phones and paper media.