Apple Watch starting to win design awards

So the Apple Watch just won the iF Gold Design Award. My feeling is a lot of Neowinians hold the Apple Watch's design in pretty low regard. Are you guys surprised by this, feel it is deserved?

post-5569-0-93662700-1425471826.jpg

The idea of combining classic materials such as leather and metal with state-of-the-art technology to create a very individual fashion accessory has resulted in a delightful product offering a holistic user experience. The Apple Watch scores highly for each design detail and is an altogether extraordinary piece of design. For us, it is already an icon.

I couldn't care less about design awards any given product may have won. Does it do what I want it to do in the way I want it to do and has a suitable price point? Yes to all of those and I'm sold.

• Like 3

Yes and no. I hate the square screen and based on the screenshots I'll hate the interface. The rest is pretty good looking. This is only based on press shots though, where anything can look good.

To be brutally honest - I prefer the look of my $2,5 watch bought from aliexpress.com sitting on my wrist right now. There's just something about that hilariously ugly interface and the square screen that annoys me. Give me a Huawei Watch, and we'll talk!

Personally I will have to have used it before I can even begin to form an opinion on the design as I feel the software UX is an integral part of the deal here and pictures or even videos can hardly convey that.

It's a tough one.. In general the design can look quite bad against a standard watch or something like the Moto. However this statement is correct:

The idea of combining classic materials such as leather and metal with state-of-the-art technology to create a very individual fashion accessory has resulted in a delightful product offering a holistic user experience. The Apple Watch scores highly for each design detail and is an altogether extraordinary piece of design. For us, it is already an icon.

They have done a good job with making this watch appeal to a wide audience, in true Apple form they have developed a solid product.. it is beautifully crafted and will match any persons style.

Normal watches are nice, and so is the Moto, but they just look like watches, if you want that then you are well set, it wasn't really going to win an award for being the same as every other watch was it? Apple have done something different here and personally I can see it paying off.

It's an Apple product so it's expected. (Typing this on a retina MacBook Pro, have a retina iMac at home and an iPad, so I'm not an "Apple-hater.")

The software UX may be amazing, for that I cannot speak, but in my opinion the watch itself is hideous. It looks like an iPhone 3G which is pretty old by now, and it's thick and bulky. The mix of materials is nothing new and can be found from other manufacturers. There are many other alternatives that in my opinion are leaps ahead in terms of design.

I can't believe they will let this out of their gates

I'm finding it hard to get excited about the Apple Watch, I think probably because I've had a smart watch (Moto 360) already for like 5+ months. I can't believe that the Apple Watch will bring a great deal extra to the table to be honest. 

But I'm never keen to slate something I haven't even tried myself. I never have beliefs or opinions on a product until I hold it in my hand and try it myself. Apple must know there is an awful lot riding on this - the first really NEW product to come out of Cupertino with Tim Cook in the chair. 

In some respects I hope it does well as I'm all for the advancement of interesting technology, but similarly I feel that Apple really could do with launching a real flop.. something that means they need to go back and really think about what they're doing. Something to reduce their level of.. almost lazy confidence.. as if they don't really need to try any more. 

It's Apple, they could put a round ball up for sale and somehow it would win a design award... probably because a lot of designers use Mac's for their design process and are so stuck on Apple being "ultra-awesome" in the design world even though they are the same as any other computer out there now days....

• Like 3

I think what they made for the watch BAND, is innovative, but the watch itself is uninspiring

The "emperors" of the world will definitely wear their "new clothes" unashamed; but that doesn't change the truth.

-Forjo

They have done a good job with making this watch appeal to a wide audience, in true Apple form they have developed a solid product.. it is beautifully crafted and will match any persons style.

Normal watches are nice, and so is the Moto, but they just look like watches, if you want that then you are well set, it wasn't really going to win an award for being the same as every other watch was it? Apple have done something different here and personally I can see it paying off.

Its Apple.  Doesnt take much for it to appeal to people. And since it is Apple, you would think they would have  been able to wow people with the way it looks.  So far, just looks uninspired and similar to shape/look as currently android smart watches.

But again, its apple.  Sure it will sell well.

It's a tough one.. In general the design can look quite bad against a standard watch or something like the Moto. However this statement is correct:

Shame that, true to form, it also won't do half the things promised, and it's not even any good as a watch as the battery can't even go for a full day...