Massive space-sim 'Elite: Dangerous' coming to Xbox One this summer

Massive space-sim 'Elite: Dangerous' coming to Xbox One this summer
by Timothy J. Seppala 

Elite_Dangerous_(31).jpg

Good tidings for Xbox One owning folks pining for a procedurally-generated space exploration game to call their own: Elite: Dangerous is coming to your console. Details are scant at this point, so there's no telling what, if any, sacrifices will be made to get the 1:1 scale open world based on our own Milky Way galaxy running on Microsoft's current-gen console. At its Game Developers Conference presentation today, though, Xbox head Phil Spencer said that the game will launch this summer and include all of the content from the PC version will make its way to the console port, including the just announced March Wings expansion.

By this point you might be asking exactly yourself "Okay, so what's the big deal here?" Well, Elite: Dangerous is a massively multiplayer online simulator that's incredibly open-ended and detailed. It's also the latest game in the 32 year-old Elite series created by David Braben and the folks at Frontier Developments. Of the game's 400 billion star systems that you can explore, some 150,000 are taken from real-world astronomical data. That's a lot! Sure, that all sounds cool on paper, but a vast universe is kinda meaningless unless there's something to do with all that space. Based on early impressions, you aren't going to lack activities.

Want to get ahead as a space pirate, doing illegal activities as you see fit? Go for it. You can dock with space stations, buy goods for a low price and sell them elsewhere higher if you'd rather be on the honest side of the law, too. Basically, any sci-fi fantasies you've had in your head can probably come to life here. For more info on the game, do yourself a favor and check out The New Yorker's deep dive from last year.

Source: Engadget

That review video made me want to play it pretty badly. Look forward to seeing it on the X1, will definitely give it a go (may even try it out on PC first).

I play this game on PC with an Xbox One controller and it plays quite well with it. Will probably end up getting it for Xbox One. I just hope the accounts travel. I hate grinding for a space whale.

YES!!!!

This game looks amazing, I just don't have a PC worthy of even trying to play this. cannot wait, good space sim has been missing for a long time.

Hmm... It has an 80 on Metacritic with 49 reviews: 41 positive, 8 mixed and 0 negative.  It seems like it's worth checking out.

I can see how a modern gamer might find it a little dull, but you have to remember, Elite was the very first EVER 3D simulation game written, and ED has taken the core of that masterpiece and very faithfully recreated it.  It's not a full on MMO, which is actually a saving grace in many many ways as if some jerk is bothering you ( as happens in EVE), you can just switch to solo play mode and carry on where you were.

More content is coming, and in time, there will even be planet landings etc enabled, so it won't be long before there's something for everyone.

I appreciate the history but I'm more into combat orientated games like Tie Fighter and Starlancer. Still, any game in the genre that succeeds is a good thing overall and I know a lot of people love it.

As for Star Citizen... Does it actually run at more than 1 FPS yet? :p

I get 50-60fps at 2560x1600 with a GTX 970 SLI setup. :)

I appreciate the history but I'm more into combat orientated games like Tie Fighter and Starlancer. Still, any game in the genre that succeeds is a good thing overall and I know a lot of people love it.

There's no shortage of combat in ED... Either it's an NPC pirate after your cargo, or some player interdicting you with mischief intended!  Of course, it's generally a better idea to stay near the more populated systems if you want lots and lots of PvP, but that seems somehow less realistic to me.

Remember.  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space. ;)

Arena Commander didn't run well on my 660 at all, but on my 290 it runs great.

Of course, it's still pointless as hell.

I can see how a modern gamer might find it a little dull, but you have to remember, Elite was the very first EVER 3D simulation game written, and ED has taken the core of that masterpiece and very faithfully recreated it.  It's not a full on MMO, which is actually a saving grace in many many ways as if some jerk is bothering you ( as happens in EVE), you can just switch to solo play mode and carry on where you were.

More content is coming, and in time, there will even be planet landings etc enabled, so it won't be long before there's something for everyone.

I don't think this is an accurate characterization at all.  I played the old Elite games and loved them and based on that I backed the Kickstarter for this.  The old Elite games were FAR less dull than this thing.  I've backed almost 100 kickstarters now (although about 20 didn't make their goal) and this is the first one I've had to get a refund for.  I'd consider this a greater failure than the wreck that is Godus personally.

Now maybe you like the game, different people have different taste and that's fine.  I can't see how not liking it would have anything to do with "how a modern gamer might find it" because it's NOT like the original Elites at all.  It has NOT "taken the core of that masterpiece and faithfully recreated it." it's just tacked on the lore and some basic ship names/designs onto an entirely new MMOish design.  In fact from my experience in the forums and such a lot of the people who claim to like it even seem to do so not because they don't find it dull now too but because they see potential for what it may some day become.  Your own "More content is coming..." statement even hints at that.  I personally would like to buy a game that isn't dull out of the box and not some game with potential that I hope "in time" may be realized.

The most similar analogy I can think of is the sngle player Elder Scrolls games and Elder Scrolls online (though it's not an exact analogy).  Elder Scrolls Online does not use the core of the single player Elder Scrolls game.  It's an entirely new beast they slapped the Elder Scrolls lore on top of.  I can't stand ESO either but many do like it and that's fine.  ESO and ED are entirely different kinds of games though from their single player predecessors so liking or not liking what they are has nothing to do with liking or not liking the single player games (unless your main attachment is lore related)

• Like 1

Elite: Dangerous is somewhat dull, but they've improved it massively since launch and keep adding stuff.  I played a bunch of it already, but they need to add/change some things before I can say I love it.  Still, 1.1 was a great improvement.

Honestly, I thought 1.1 should've been 1.0.

There's no shortage of combat in ED... Either it's an NPC pirate after your cargo, or some player interdicting you with mischief intended!  Of course, it's generally a better idea to stay near the more populated systems if you want lots and lots of PvP, but that seems somehow less realistic to me.

Remember.  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space. ;)

All the videos and comments I've seen suggest that combat is a very small and not particularly developed aspect of the game. Most people, including in this video, say it's like Euro Truck Simulator in space. For me Star Citizen is the more interesting game, with combat, racing, mining, bounty hunting, medical, transport, luxury, FPS combat, etc. It is aiming to be a truly immersive experience.

I might pick up Elite: Dangerous when it goes on sale, if the game continues to develop in a decent direction, but I'm not in a hurry.

Well, I guess you pays your money you takes your choice.  Last night, I spent 2 hours playing cat n mouse in an asteroid field with a pirate that was much better armed than I was.

Was it a Star Wars style dogfight in space?  No, not really.  What it was, was us hiding behind rocks trying to catch the other one out, and me eventually getting lucky and taking out a far superior ship thanks to some severe risk taking flying close to the rocks.

TBH, if it HAD been a faced paced battle, a la Star Wars, I'd have been toast.

I don't think this is an accurate characterization at all.  I played the old Elite games and loved them and based on that I backed the Kickstarter for this.  The old Elite games were FAR less dull than this thing.  I've backed almost 100 kickstarters now (although about 20 didn't make their goal) and this is the first one I've had to get a refund for.  I'd consider this a greater failure than the wreck that is Godus personally.

I suspect their is because you are expecting a different game based on your modern standards not because it isn't far more interesting than the old elite games. most likely it's your preference in games that has changed and the fact that elite was super advanced back then and you didn't have much to chose from so even pong was awesome. 

All the videos and comments I've seen suggest that combat is a very small and not particularly developed aspect of the game. Most people, including in this video, say it's like Euro Truck Simulator in space. For me Star Citizen is the more interesting game, with combat, racing, mining, bounty hunting, medical, transport, luxury, FPS combat, etc. It is aiming to be a truly immersive experience.

I might pick up Elite: Dangerous when it goes on sale, if the game continues to develop in a decent direction, but I'm not in a hurry.

Well right now, all it has is combat and the rest is modules still in development

Well, I guess you pays your money you takes your choice.  Last night, I spent 2 hours playing cat n mouse in an asteroid field with a pirate that was much better armed than I was.

Was it a Star Wars style dogfight in space?  No, not really.  What it was, was us hiding behind rocks trying to catch the other one out, and me eventually getting lucky and taking out a far superior ship thanks to some severe risk taking flying close to the rocks.

TBH, if it HAD been a faced paced battle, a la Star Wars, I'd have been toast.

What do you mean it wasn't a Star Wars battle?

th?id=HN.608016624838115712&pid=1.7

;)

What do you mean it wasn't a Star Wars battle?

th?id=HN.608016624838115712&pid=1.7

;)

Hehe, nice, but it wasn't quite as fast as chasing Jango Fett through an asteroid field... 

Hehe, nice, but it wasn't quite as fast as chasing Jango Fett through an asteroid field... 

OK, OK... more of a waiting game then...

0.jpg

I suspect their is because you are expecting a different game based on your modern standards not because it isn't far more interesting than the old elite games.

Nope I was expecting Elite 4 and Elite Dangerous isn't that any more than Elder Scrolls Online is Elder Scrolls 6 or Ultima Online was Ultima X. Elite Dangerous is a different kind of space game that uses the same lore as it's namesakes. I personally don't like it but I fully acknowledge that's just personal taste and others DO like it which is perfectly fine, to each his or her own. It's NOT the same kind of game as Elite 1-3 though (beyond lore)

In their defense though I don't think it's marketed as Elite 4. So the argument can certainly be made that my disappointment is because of my own incorrect assumption that it would be like 1-3 when clearly it's NOT. I'm not saying it's a horrible game and everyone should hate it. I don't like it but I don't expect everyone to have the same likes and dislikes that I do. If you like it that's great, I hope you enjoy the game, but it's NOT the same kind of game as 1-3 so I can't see how not liking ED would have anything to do with "modern standards".

Heck I think the game Limit Theory with it's procedural generation and such has more in common with the original Elite games than ED does (other than lore.)

I also want to make clear though that I'm not on the Star Citizen vs. Elite Dangerous debate. I backed BOTH games (as well as several other space sim games as I enjoy the genre) and I do consider Elite Dangerous a kickstarter failure for me (based off my hope it was going to be Elite 4, which it's NOT) but I think it's FAR too early to call Star Citizen a success. It may well crash and burn spectacularly as well (I hope not but who knows), the jury is still out. I also don't think it's fair to compare a game with a budget of $74+ million that's yet to be released to a game with a less than $3 million budget that's out now. Although ironically Limit Theory got kickstarted at under $200k and is written by one guy who took a break from college and again is probably closer to the first 3 Elites then ED is (other than lore).

How is it not "Elite 4" it's pretty much exactly what it is, at least when the planet landings get added, and with a sentral trading database influenced by all players instead of a local database. 

Arguably, player actions should have a bigger effect but that could(and knowing gamers, would) potentially break trading for a lot. 

Looking forward to this breaking out of it's console exclusivity deal with MS and hitting PS4. 

I don't think there is an exclusivity deal.  Frontier has quite a few Xbox 360 and Xbox One games already.

Elite Dangerous is console exclusive to Xbox One, we just don't know how long for - the developers said so themselves.