Is Windows 10 stable enough for a main OS?

I currently use Windows 7 which works but is fairly boring and aging now. 

I am playing with Windows 10 in a VM and while there are some rough edges like 3d acceleration not workign to autosize unless it is disabled I can't seem to find anything.

I do not like change very much if it is unstable. I do know Windows 7 at this stage in the beta/RC stage was already much better than Vista at the time and worth it to upgrade. Does anyone here run it as their main OS on their system? What show stoppers are there? Should I wait a little longer for things to stabilize?

It was mostly stable in my experience but there was a bug on my install where Host Process for Settings Sync would spike the CPU to 50% for no reason and kill the battery on my Surface Pro 3, only way to fix it was to kill the task but it would come back randomly.

Except for my daily game (DC Universe Online) having connectivity issues, the Tech Preview would be my main OS today on my desktop - it already is on my notebook.  Everything else application and gaming-wise works as well or better than Windows 8 (or any other version of Windows back to XP).  Expecting perfect DirectX compatibility in a VM is silly - for ANY OS, beta or otherwise.  (That is true of even Citrix WinFrame, which is the closest thing I have seen from anybody to a gaming-ready virtualization platform.)  The issues with Windows 10 are the same ones that Windows 8.x has been nibbled to death by - aesthetics and the lack of the 7 or earlier Start menu. If you aren't het up over aesthetics and improved stability AND performance is important, not only could you do worse than the Technical Preview, you likely already are.

Just yesterday: http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+10+Testers+Beware+Experimental+NVIDIA+Drivers+Tied+to+DX12+Update/article37211.htm

If you want stable, get a stable OS. Windows 10 is still far from that and the ecosystem around it is far from mature. We're still ways off from a real beta much less a release candidate, neither of which are considered "stable" software either.

• Like 3

Just yesterday: http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+10+Testers+Beware+Experimental+NVIDIA+Drivers+Tied+to+DX12+Update/article37211.htm

If you want stable, get a stable OS. Windows 10 is still far from that and the ecosystem around it is far from mature. We're still ways off from a real beta much less a release candidate, neither of which are considered "stable" software either.

Well since MS committed to a june release it is about to freeze

Well since MS committed to a june release it is about to freeze

Microsoft has not committed Windows 10 to a June release.

• Like 3

Andre S. - the hardware is decidedly left-field in nature - an Apple MacBook with Mobile Kepler GPU hardware - and the issues with that particular driver on mobile GPUs have been exposed.  Running standard 8.1 drivers on the SAME GPUs, however, is not problematical at all.  The SAME poster points out that that is part of the reason FOR such testing - to spot and call out such driver flubs.  The driver in question isn't even a BETA driver for Windows 8.1 - and will never be one now.

No. Flat out NO.

Now I haven't had any crashes or anything recently, but remember, Windows 10 isn't even Consumer Preview yet. It is NOT ready to be used as your main OS, unless you are 100% prepeared to lose everything without notice due to some bug no one knows about yet.

For now just stick with Windows 7.. No rush, you aren't missing much yet :)

• Like 1

A stable Windows installation is much more than any particular build. It's also the cumulative updates (of which there will undoubtedly be many at launch) and third-party drivers.

Anyway, it's your call. I know I'm waiting.

• Like 3

Andre S. - the hardware is decidedly left-field in nature - an Apple MacBook with Mobile Kepler GPU hardware - and the issues with that particular driver on mobile GPUs have been exposed.  Running standard 8.1 drivers on the SAME GPUs, however, is not problematical at all.  The SAME poster points out that that is part of the reason FOR such testing - to spot and call out such driver flubs.  The driver in question isn't even a BETA driver for Windows 8.1 - and will never be one now.

These experimental drivers were silently installed by Windows Update, if you read the post. That's one difference between a stable OS and an unstable one. Yes, the point of testing is to find problems, so if you're eager to help Microsoft bug-bash their future software then that's fine. But don't expect a flawless experience.

These experimental drivers were silently installed by Windows Update, if you read the post. That's one difference between a stable OS and an unstable one. Yes, the point of testing is to find problems, so if you're eager to help Microsoft bug-bash their future software then that's fine. But don't expect a flawless experience.

I don't - which nobody running an unreleased OS SHOULD expect.

However, a RELEASED OS should not ignore the current hardware base - which we are finding (often the hard way) that even Windows 8.1 HAS done (specifically, support for trackpads).

I didn't have any idea that even Windows 8.x was a hardware laggard until installing the Tech Preview on the same notebook which had been running 8.1 before - what had me bouncing off the ceiling was that the notebook in question didn't just predate 8, but predated 7 as well.

Ignoring newer technologies is one thing - ignoring long-present technology is NOT forgivable.

I run Windows 10 as my main OS. The only real problems I have had is IE11 locking up on some games that use flash. I'm a gamer and use Steam for my gaming and haven't had problems with playing. I haven't figured out how not to logon after the computer has been sleeping. Overall it's been a pretty good running OS. 

As far as the latest build goes, I've had no issues bar a couple of game crashes.

I wish they'd hurry up and release a new build.. also they need to release a build of Windows 10 for Phones for my Lumia 1020!

I'm dual booting 8.1 and 10 and it depends on what you do.  With my 660 I've since replaced I was having issues with Elite: Dangerous performing like total crap for no apparent reason.

My recommendation: If you can dual boot, do so.  If you'd prefer to only have one OS, stick to what works.

Well I am at a crossroads? ... actually tri crossroads here.

My delima is my taskbar is full and I need more pinned apps on my dual monitors. Windows 7 only has the taskbar on 1 monitor. Does 8.1 or 10 have mirred taskbars or I wonder if I can fill both with pinned apps.

I might go tonight and upgrade ... holds breath.

To answer your initial question, a TP should never be considered stable enough for becoming a main OS. It doesn't matter what others say about its stability, a TP means that if it goes bottoms up, you're going to get very little in the way of support.

For your dilema of the taskbar not being big enough, I would suggest one of two things. The first and most obvious idea would be to really figure out how many of those pinned apps you use regularly, and then scrap the rest. Equally, don't forget that pinned apps can be replaced with shortcuts on the desktop.

The second option would be to look in to 3rd party software. I know someone recently around here mentioned one that stretches the taskbar to your second monitor. And it's not mirroring the first screen, it is an extension of your taskbar from screen one. If you don't know what I'm talking about then let me know and I'll try and find the person that suggested it. (Y)

• Like 2

I'd say no just because it's not even close to being feature complete yet.

Something which has nothing to do with stability.

I'm using it on my work device and my desktop. It works just fine.

I find Windows 10 to be stable enough for me, but I also don't do anything on my laptop that I couldn't lose. Mostly light gaming and dicking around in Visual Studio to try and learn ASP.net. Nothing that I wouldn't miss if I lost it. And I'm never more than a few feet from a power outlet, so I don't even notice any extra CPU usage.

No guarantee's

Even it a build seems stable now, that could be gone with an update, or a new build being pushed out.

There's also the factor of your specific hardware / driver support

You may be fine, or missing certain hardware drivers.

On laptop with Nivida Optimus (5xx series mobile) I had to play / fiddle to get games to use the nvidia software, kept defaulting to the Intel HD. 

The nvidia update via windows update kept failing. 

Use windows 7, or 8x now, and get the free upgrade if you want it to be stable.

10 TP is great if you know you may have to wipe and reload the computer from scratch and have any data you need backed up.

I currently use Windows 7 which works but is fairly boring and aging now. 

I am playing with Windows 10 in a VM and while there are some rough edges like 3d acceleration not workign to autosize unless it is disabled I can't seem to find anything.

I do not like change very much if it is unstable. I do know Windows 7 at this stage in the beta/RC stage was already much better than Vista at the time and worth it to upgrade. Does anyone here run it as their main OS on their system? What show stoppers are there? Should I wait a little longer for things to stabilize?

I have no idea why anyone would want to use an incomplete project

Certainly not builds 9860, 9879 and 9926. 9841 has been rock solid since October, but I need to get off it by the next build.

I have no idea why anyone would want to use an incomplete project

Then you certainly wouldn't qualify for a job at Microsoft. Eventually, the majority of Microsoft employees will have to dog food and stress it, even the ones in non-technical areas of the company like HR., Accounting.

I am aware of "eating one's own dog food." However, I do not think that this is particularly relevant to the discussion, as OP is asking questions regarding personal use, and as far as I know, is not employed (or intends to be employed) with Microsoft.