Quebec resident Alain Philippon to fight charge for not giving up phone password at airport

From the years of interacting and reading forums, I too see that the a lot of people (not all) in the USA are EXTREMELY paranoid and always have the "everyones out to get me" attitude. Glad most of the world is generally not like that...

Ya there's some here like that, but not many. I mean it's not perfect, there have been cases where Cops do things wrong, case recently where a cop lied under oath.. But we know those are the exception, not the rule. And that they generally get sorted out in quick order.

One thing that I think helps us a lot is when you join the National Police (RCMP) you are not going to serve in your home town, or generally province. You get moved out to a new part of Canada and need to serve there for years before being allowed to transfer back.  I think that helps break apart double standards and abuse against specific parties that you might see if everyone policing a town was from the town, and knew each other their whole life.

That and we're all Canadian. We're a fairly mellow bunch. We haven't ever really had major abuses of power, or other reasons to sow distrust. May happen one day, but till then we'll live our peaceful lives thanks :)

My response is still this.

Border Agents, just because they suspect something, can go up your ass to make sure you aren't carrying drugs. No Warrant. 

But somehow looking at your phone is the straw that's going to turn Canada into the USSR?

This is why I like living in Canada and not the US. We don't live in paranoia of the government, or our police, that they are all out to get us and destroy our lives.

It's not a distrust of entities like government or police, it's a distrust of humans. History is full of examples of people who are given any power, can and will abuse it.

like its already been stated, the court has made previous rulings in favor of it.

Not tested yet in court

Currie said the issue of whether a traveller must reveal a password to an electronic device at the border hasn

The fact they want to go through your phone / computer is appalling.

Remind me to put anything I care about into a truecypt container and name it some DLL file.

In America "Freedom" is considered a very important aspect of what us who we are, and usually fight anything that can even slightly erode said freedoms. Seeing anyone have to give up a right that is normally protected in one area, but not at the edge of the said area, is something people would consider as an encrochment on that freedom.

I rather live with pessimists who question authority, then live with optimists who think everything will work out ok without a challenge.

That's all well and good, but Canada isn't the US. We are willing to give up rights if there is a justification.

We have gun control, healthcare, etc. We are not the same as the US. Regardless of how close we live we are culturally quite different. Our Right Wing party (which is in control atm) is for the most part STILL Left of the Democrats in most of the US.

Also, try this as you go through the US border.. Come on.. do it. I've been told to log in to my Computer and phone entering the US.

Also I get my bags searched without a warrant when I'm there. Asked to take off my shoes, etc.

Regardless.. As far as I'm concerned, just like border agencies are, a smartphone or a computer is just a "high tech" file folder, or briefcase. Their contents should be available to be scanned in the same way you would if you tried to cross with a briefcase. They don't make you log into your bank, or your email, or anything else. You closing to leave yourself logged into to that stuff is your own issue, and a huge security concern if you ever get robbed cause it's really not hard to bypass passwords on most phones and computers.

It works reversely as well. No where does it say they can't, thankfully.

Why do you keep saying "thankfully" ?  If you feel threatened by the contents of someone's phone, you have more serious issues to work through.

I don't fly anymore because of the current situation.  NO ONE has the right to ask me to take off my shoes, or empty the contents of my bags, or ask me to be subjected to an X-Ray machine.  NO ONE.

Why do you keep saying "thankfully" ?  If you feel threatened by the contents of someone's phone, you have more serious issues to work through.

You work on too simplified logic. Think bigger.

Remind me to put anything I care about into a truecypt container and name it some DLL file.

Why?

these kinds of things all encroach on privacy. not like we have anything to hide mind you. What is going on is, governments are using laws to "assume" all are guilty. we even have jackbooted thugs(TSA) in the US. Now the TSA isn't just at airports anymore. they are in train stations, the superbowl football games, maybe all games.

next what we'll hear is, "Ihre Papiere Bitte." 

tsa_superbowl_2012_med_450x291.jpg?w=590

and train stations

20680202_BG1.jpg

You work on too simplified logic. Think bigger.

Why?

So when they make me give them my password they might be to dumb to realize I Have an encrypted container.

• Like 1

So when they make me give them my password they might be to dumb to realize I Have an encrypted container.

And if a tech savvy customs agent saw that (and a lot of them are these days), you'd be grabbing your ankles double quick. :p

Doesn't exactly take much to tell whether a DLL is genuine or not; especially if it's huge.

And if a tech savvy customs agent saw that (and a lot of them are these days), you'd be grabbing your ankles double quick. :p

Doesn't exactly take much to tell whether a DLL is genuine or not; especially if it's huge.

If the customs agent was indeed tech-savvy, then they would probably make sure their computers are online and that they're able to cross-reference documentation with citizen records.

The last time I flew through Central America, we had to wait 45 minutes for the ISP connection to restart from the central server down the aisle from the 14 immigration desks.  No amount of individual PC rebooting would magically reconnect with their ISP.

Update 1: http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/pakistani-accused-of-plotting-to-bomb-us-consulate-denied-bail/ar-AA9QgTX?ocid=mailsignoutmd

He was flagged earlier as potentional interest.

Update 2: http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/pakistani-accused-of-plotting-to-bomb-us-consulate-denied-bail/ar-AA9QgTX?ocid=mailsignoutmd

Denied bail still.

If some of you had your way, he would be living life nice and safe from any consequence.

The interesting part about this case isn't the searching of the phone, it's the handing over of a password.

The law gives them the right to search anything that you bring into the country with you. Does that law exceed to forcing you to hand over a password? I'm sure there are rights which mean you cannot be forced to say something which incriminates yourself.

The password isn't "property". The password is something in your mind that they're trying to force you to stay.

The guy must have had something on there he didn't want to see. I think most people wouldn't have a problem giving their phone to a customs agent, it's a part of travelling these days that you briefly give up all privacy when you travel through airports. If that helps protect borders, then so be it - most of the time it isn't a hardship. That said, I'd be very interested to see how this proceeds.

I don't see how they have the right to look in someone's phone or computer.

I know Id definitely tell them to hoop their forehead.

Id turn my devices on to prove they are working, but no one puts their goof hands on my stuff.

backup your stuff to onedrive and do a hard reset before you travel

why?

I don't see how they have the right to look in someone's phone or computer.

I know Id definitely tell them to hoop their forehead.

Id turn my devices on to prove they are working, but no one puts their goof hands on my stuff.

Do you say the same about your suit case? look but don't go inside?

why?

Do you say the same about your suit case? look but don't go inside?

Nope. I'm only picky with my electronics. Only I touch them, no goofs.

Smartphones contain an incredible amount of personal information; they basically track our entire life. Our relationships, conversations, where we go, our purchase history, bank information, everything. It's not like a suitcase containing goods that you are taking with you for the trip. It's a treasure trove of personal data and our current laws were made at a time where such devices did not exist and were not even conceivable. Laws must be adapted to the evolution of reality, not the other way around.

Update 1: http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/pakistani-accused-of-plotting-to-bomb-us-consulate-denied-bail/ar-AA9QgTX?ocid=mailsignoutmd

He was flagged earlier as potentional interest.

Update 2: http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/pakistani-accused-of-plotting-to-bomb-us-consulate-denied-bail/ar-AA9QgTX?ocid=mailsignoutmd

Denied bail still.

If some of you had your way, he would be living life nice and safe from any consequence.

What does a Pakistani man has to do with the current topic ?

Even if you get flagged, they can make up excuses for it. I got flagged before connecting at the airport in Germany because of a rhum bottle, so they also I had my two laptops checked and they just tested them for drugs. That's about it. Didn't take very long and there was no invasive methods for no damn reasons.

I can understand border officials wanting to inspect your bags/goods... but I don't see why they want to go through peoples devices.

Inspect it by all means, heck I'm even happy to take the battery out (where possible) if you really want to look at it, but don't operate it. That's the distinction to me.

What does a Pakistani man has to do with the current topic ?

The tread is about this storey.

Smartphones contain an incredible amount of personal information; they basically track our entire life. Our relationships, conversations, where we go, our purchase history, bank information, everything. It's not like a suitcase containing goods that you are taking with you for the trip. It's a treasure trove of personal data and our current laws were made at a time where such devices did not exist and were not even conceivable. Laws must be adapted to the evolution of reality, not the other way around.

I know it may be a blow to your ego, but no one cares about you. Unless, there are reasons to care about you.

The tread is about this storey.

What part exactly ? Here is the title of the thread :

Quebec resident Alain Philippon to fight charge for not giving up phone password at airport

Even if you get flagged,

There are different levels of flagging... there are random flags, suspicious flags, annomonious tip flags, and then "hey, i travel to war zones and hang out with certain warlords" flags...

I know it may be a blow to your ego, but no one cares about you. Unless, there are reasons to care about you.

Wow so closed minded. You think it's really about that ?

Is that just a gratuitous personal attack or does that relate to anything I said in the block of text you quoted? I fail to see how.