PS4 Firmware 2.50

Totally underwhelming update, features that should have been there from the launch of the console. Still so many simple things missing.

And the backup feature is crap, its back everything up or nothing, no choosing what you want to backup and you can't even move profiles across onto another device.

Really glad to see this update arrive. The suspend/resume is the biggest for me, but its all good stuff. I hope it updates smoothly for everyone. I'm cautious, but I think I'll take a chance on updating immediately.

One bit I'm not clear on though. Is the external storage support still limited to backups? As in, I can't use it for live storage of my games,etc? If so, I'm disappointed about that.

I updated before heading off to work this morning.

I usually NEVER do this, when it comes to my Playstation, I usually wait till the patch after the BIG update.

Hopefully when I get home, everything is smooth.

One bit I'm not clear on though. Is the external storage support still limited to backups? As in, I can't use it for live storage of my games,etc? If so, I'm disappointed about that.

The external storage support is for backups only. You can not play a game running off of an external HDD nor do I suspect that feature will come anytime soon (if ever).

The official way to increase your capacity is to upgrade your HDD. This external support allows you to backup and restore your games (so you don't have to redownload them and reapply the patches which can take hours in some cases)

I suspect the next major updated will be in June/July (with small 2.5x "stability" releases between) as they seem to release major updates roughly quarterly and it will likely be focused on media.

That's probably where we'll get DLNA support and other media (audio/video playback support/enhancements) related features.

Totally underwhelming update, features that should have been there from the launch of the console. Still so many simple things missing.

And the backup feature is crap, its back everything up or nothing, no choosing what you want to backup and you can't even move profiles across onto another device.

There is a lot still missing. At least we can update software though, we can't change hardware.

Wasn't there something built into the PS4 so they couldn't be bricked? You could really hard reset the console or flash the console or something? Or am I confusing this with something else?

I usually wait on Sony's updates since they have a tendency not to work. Updated fine without my knowledge think I left it on charging a headset and controllers no bricking issues here.

Crappy update nothing I'll use or other consoles have had since launch, still no DLNA which just isn't good enough. I'm surprised Sony isn't coping more flack for this and the driveclub plus edition still no where to be seen and probably never will be. The servers are good enough as long as you purchase the game but not if we give it away. lel..

No surprise here...it's bricking some consoles:

"On the official PlayStation US community, several users have reported their console failing to start up after downloading the update."

Some other minor/misc. issues mentioned here:

http://gamingbolt.com/ps4-firmware-...icrophone-issues-and-more#kMq1IQZBRDIAJJtq.99

It's unfortunate for the people affected, but when you get 20+ million of something and push out an update, no matter the amount of testing, a few issues will arise. It's life. Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Is it just me or have Sony removed the Playstation app from the iOS Store?

Is it just me or have Sony removed the Playstation app from the iOS Store?

It's there, dissappeared for me as well for a while but I re-downloaded it by going into my downloaded apps list

The external storage support is for backups only. You can not play a game running off of an external HDD nor do I suspect that feature will come anytime soon (if ever).

The official way to increase your capacity is to upgrade your HDD. This external support allows you to backup and restore your games (so you don't have to redownload them and reapply the patches which can take hours in some cases)

I suspect the next major updated will be in June/July (with small 2.5x "stability" releases between) as they seem to release major updates roughly quarterly and it will likely be focused on media.

That's probably where we'll get DLNA support and other media (audio/video playback support/enhancements) related features.

Darn, I'm sad to hear that honestly. I really hope they do open up the backup feature. It could do so much more.

If they really focus on media features with the next update, I will be very excited! There is a lot they need to do in that area from apps to services. I hope they are willing to make that effort for those of us that like to use the features.

There is a lot still missing. At least we can update software though, we can't change hardware.

lol, very slick! :D

Darn, I'm sad to hear that honestly. I really hope they do open up the backup feature. It could do so much more.

I just want to be clear that this is just my impression. I really don't see them allowing you to run games from external devices though. I can see the backup feature getting better to the point where they allow you to do individual games and play media files off the external device. Maybe even load saves off the device but I don't see them allowing an external device to actually execute the game. I could be wrong though.

If they really focus on media features with the next update, I will be very excited! There is a lot they need to do in that area from apps to services. I hope they are willing to make that effort for those of us that like to use the features.

Again that's just my impression based off of their current release pace and the fact that Suspend/Resume and DLNA were the two major features they've confirmed they were working on. With Suspend/Resume out of the way DLNA is all that's left as far as major features they'd talked about. I'm sure there's a lot of smaller tweaks and maybe we'll get the rumored PS1 and PS2 local emulators that were talked about at some point but that's less likely. Also with the Spotify change coming at the end of May I believe it seems like it would fit well with a media focused update... again just my opinion though.

I just want to be clear that this is just my impression. I really don't see them allowing you to run games from external devices though. I can see the backup feature getting better to the point where they allow you to do individual games and play media files off the external device. Maybe even load saves off the device but I don't see them allowing an external device to actually execute the game. I could be wrong though.

Again that's just my impression based off of their current release pace and the fact that Suspend/Resume and DLNA were the two major features they've confirmed they were working on. With Suspend/Resume out of the way DLNA is all that's left as far as major features they'd talked about. I'm sure there's a lot of smaller tweaks and maybe we'll get the rumored PS1 and PS2 local emulators that were talked about at some point but that's less likely. Also with the Spotify change coming at the end of May I believe it seems like it would fit well with a media focused update... again just my opinion though.

Spotify launched today

• 2 months later...