Tab in Tabs or: Tabs in tabbed Window

Ever wondered how Tab in Tabs would do in a webbrowser?

Here is my answer:

GYRzCUg.png

6Vd7GVV.png

i think this would work really nice, especially for people like me who have there 2 or 3 main-pages and just browse the rest of them in tabs. 

Multi level window/content organizing is a terrible idea, just like virtual desktops is a pretty bad idea. you add another level of navigation just to get to where you want to be. 

Ever wondered how Tab in Tabs would do in a webbrowser?

I can't say that I have. I would also imagine that I would have a terrible time navigating through the various open tabs/windows. If I look at your two screenshots, I would be able to tell the last tab that was open on each window, but not the other tabs that are available in that same window. As such, I could see myself scrolling through all my windows just trying to find one tab.

Firefox already has a feature like this called Tab panorama (aka tab candy):

Screenshot3.png

Firefox's feature seems more intuitive as it's not something that is force upon the user and it makes going through tabs easier with thumbnails.

Firefox already has a feature like this called Tab panorama (aka tab candy):

Screenshot3.png

Firefox's feature seems more intuitive as it's not something that is force upon the user and it makes going through tabs easier with thumbnails.

that looks ###### imho.

that looks ###### imho.

Beauty is subjective, so to each their own. But you can't deny that it's more practical the the original screenshots. Using Firefox's solution gives you an overview of all of your tabs, not just the last tab that was open in that...err, tab.

Beauty is subjective, so to each their own. But you can't deny that it's more practical the the original screenshots. Using Firefox's solution gives you an overview of all of your tabs, not just the last tab that was open in that...err, tab.

i think that overview looks just messy and i would not use it.

ever thought of that my tab in tab view gives you more spaces for tabs as the screen/window size keeps the same. open 30 tabs in firefox and the tab description becomes unreadable already. my option can make it 2x15 which looks much better.

ever thought of that my tab in tab view gives you more spaces for tabs as the screen/window size keeps the same.

It may give you more space for more tabs, but it doesn't change the fact that the tabs that are in a different tab (window, whatever you want to call it) are then obscured so that you don't know where it is with a glance.

That looks horribly cluttered and a pain to use, at least the FF idea gives you a better overall view of what's open 

And really if you "need" 30 tabs open you might just be better off opening multiwindows with tab sets instead, would still be easier to sort through than your tabception mess 

I think tab in tab would work if it was site specific.  For example.  If neowin.net were the site you are on, then open links specific to this domain would open in sub-tabs under the main tab.

That looks horribly cluttered and a pain to use, at least the FF idea gives you a better overall view of what's open 

And really if you "need" 30 tabs open you might just be better off opening multiwindows with tab sets instead, would still be easier to sort through than your tabception mess 

Yo dawg, I heard you like tabs, so I put some tabs in your tabs so you can tab while you tab?

• Like 2

Multi level window/content organizing is a terrible idea, just like virtual desktops is a pretty bad idea. you add another level of navigation just to get to where you want to be. 

This is a pretty dire idea, but how are virtual desktops a bad idea? They're brilliant, I can be monitoring some tasks on one screen, have some misc. stuff on another like audio player and whatever I'm currently doing on my main screen, and can switch between them without lots of minimising and alt tabbing. I mean, I can't imagine that it's such a bad idea that linux has had it for over 10 years, macs probably got it and windows 10 is getting it... That to me sounds like it's a good idea because everyone using it.

This is a pretty dire idea, but how are virtual desktops a bad idea? They're brilliant, I can be monitoring some tasks on one screen, have some misc. stuff on another like audio player and whatever I'm currently doing on my main screen, and can switch between them without lots of minimising and alt tabbing. I mean, I can't imagine that it's such a bad idea that linux has had it for over 10 years, macs probably got it and windows 10 is getting it... That to me sounds like it's a good idea because everyone using it.

Virtual desktops suffer from the same multi level navigation issue as this. 

I thought virtual desktops was cool as a kid, and at one of my first jobs I used them to separate a work desktop and a non work desktop. 

But in reality they're pretty useless. as for switching apps. well at the bottom of the screen, you have this thing called a taskbar that instantly with one click allows you to bring up any of your open apps ;)

Windows has had it ever since NT at least though, btw... and just because an OS has it doesn't mean it's getting used, as for OSX. well they're app navigations is pretty horrible to start with. linux has needed it for it's any tiled UI's. But I don't think you'll find it the most used feature on the more user based desktops. it kind of falls in line with wobbly windows "Hey look at this cool looking feature" "Do you ever use it outside of showing your friends" "Oh, hell no". 

I mean, yeah, it has a small set of usefull use cases, like work/non work desktop separation, but I'm not sure it's the thing your bosses care for :p

Windows has had it ever since NT at least though

MS introduced the taskbar in Win95, WinNT4 would follow almost a year later, however, Win1 had an early version of the taskbar.

MS introduced the taskbar in Win95, WinNT4 would follow almost a year later, however, Win1 had an early version of the taskbar.

Virtual Desktops....

I was commenting on your comment about the taskbar!

Virtual Desktops....

Windows does not implement virtual desktops natively in a user-accessible way.

But it's there, and you can use the old powertools to use them, or any number of third party tool.

And I didn't say anything about when the taskbar was introduced, I know very well the taskbar was introduced with windows 95