Ozon OS beta 1 to be released tomorrow

The first beta of Ozon OS will be released tomorrow, after 4PM UK time, according to their G+ page. The official website is here (not finished yet).

I am one of the people who will test this beta, since it's basically a clone of elementary OS (visually) based on Fedora. I already reserved some space next to the elementary OS partition, so I'll play with it on real hardware, not virtual stuff.

Anyway, are you gonna test it? The team says "which ones of you lovely folks will posts about it, review it, tip blogs about it and etc ... And if you shall do any of the above, points us to your blogs, the bloge you shall tip, your youtube channels and etc ... ?", so if you have some feedback, try to help them.

Unless in case of armageddon, ragnar

ATOM DE looks like a reskinned GNOME. On their FAQ it states they include a few plugins too.

It's clearly not just a theme. It's like eOS's Pantheon, a custom made shell for their OS, also available for other distros.

Ozon looks really nice, some of the settings menu's look like their from OSX, and the quick toggles from Android, which is certainly not a bad thing.

I personally think its nice to see some Linux's distros now look like they belong in 2015 out the box. Ozon looks very user friendly, i'll certainly give it a try in a VM.

Ozon looks really nice, some of the settings menu's look like their from OSX, and the quick toggles from Android, which is certainly not a bad thing.

I personally think its nice to see some Linux's distros now look like they belong in 2015 out the box. Ozon looks very user friendly, i'll certainly give it a try in a VM.

I agree. They say it's optimized for gaming (not in the beta), and with Steam growing on Linux, it should be quite a big deal, since this is one aspect where Linux users were mostly ignored so far.

What I'm most happy about is the font rendering, Fedora is horrible on that part, but Ozon doesn't have the same issue. And while the design looks good, I hope the performance is also good, mostly on low end hardware. Waiting for tomorrow, anxiously. :)

Let us know how it works :)

Yeah, that won't happen as soon as I thought, unfortunately. The devs didn't specify anywhere that the beta only supports 64bit cpus (they added the info minutes ago, after I told them on G+), so I basically downloaded the iso and "burned" the stick for nothing, since the notebook that I planned to install Ozon on doesn't have 64bit capabilities... I'll try to install it on my desktop, but I have to modify stuff, since I have triple boot with Win, Osx and Linux already...

Yeah, that won't happen as soon as I thought, unfortunately. The devs didn't specify anywhere that the beta only supports 64bit cpus (they added the info minutes ago, after I told them on G+), so I basically downloaded the iso and "burned" the stick for nothing, since the notebook that I planned to install Ozon on doesn't have 64bit capabilities... I'll try to install it on my desktop, but I have to modify stuff, since I have triple boot with Win, Osx and Linux already...

:laugh: Man, that gotta bite...

:laugh: Man, that gotta bite...

Yeah, incredibly unprofessional from them to forget such important thing... Oh well, at least the final version will come in both versions.

They say it's optimized for gaming (not in the beta), and with Steam growing on Linux, it should be quite a big deal, since this is one aspect where Linux users were mostly ignored so far.

People tend to forget, Linux wasn't always ignored fully, there was a time when Loki Software ported a number of games to Linux before they went belly up.

Yeah, incredibly unprofessional from them to forget such important thing... Oh well, at least the final version will come in both versions.

When the full version will make its show up ?

I installed the beta on my main desktop and got to play with it for a little while. Here are my conclusions so far and some comparison with my other Linux distro, elementary OS Freya:

The pros:

- the OS is fast and snappy, not as fast as elementary, but it's good. Also, it boots faster than eOS by a few seconds;

- it's beautiful;

- no hardware incompatibilities in my case, everything works as it should;

- the software center is light years ahead of the one in Ubuntu (and eOS, for that matter) in terms of speed. The eOS team is developing their own Software Center as well, I can't wait to get rid of the current one;

- good selection of oob apps - Chromium as web browser, Tomahawk for music, the Gnome Tweak Tool, etc.

The cons:

- there's something wrong with the update process, at least in my case. After searching for available updates, the os prompted me to restart to install them. I did, then I got some text in the upper left corner with "installing bla bla x%". At around 20%, it restarted again. I thought it was done, but after I logged in I got a notification about the update process failing. No idea why;

- speaking of notifications, they pop-up behind the dock sometimes, impossible to read. This is a known issue, one that will hopefully be fixed fast;

- speaking of the dock, you can't modify its size (or the dock icon size). That's a real issue for me, since I like smaller icons, the default ones are too big for my taste. The team says it shouldn't bother me, because the dock uses intellihide, but what if I don't hide the dock?

- while the GUI is beautiful, I hate the icons. Obviously, it's a matter of taste, but I never liked those "3D" icons, so I replaced them with the Faba icon theme;

- the font. While clearly much better than the "comic sans" font used in Fedora, it's still not as beautiful as the one in eOS (Droid). I didn't try to change it, but I'll do, just to see how it looks on Ozon. Again, it's about personal taste;

- the Fedora branding all over the place. I know it's a beta (that was the dev team's official answer), but eOS is also a beta and you don't see traces of Ubuntu in it, except maybe just a few here and there. In Ozon, even the boot logo is Fedora's boot logo. A minor thing, I know, but annoying for me.

This might be because I'm not used to Fedora, but Ozon feels clumsy to use somehow, like scratching your left year with your right hand behind your head, if you know what I mean. I don't know how to explain better and I don't have a concrete example so far, but that's how I feel. For a Fedora user, this would be much better I assume.

I'll get back with more feedback after I use it some more, and also some images.

Correct, the less a Distro looks of Linux the better.

Note that the beta does NOT work in VirtualBox! You have to use some other app, like VMWare.

well i was gonna download this but....

it was going to take 2 hours to download

it does not work on virtulbox

Note that the beta does NOT work in VirtualBox! You have to use some other app, like VMWare.

I was planning on using VMware Esxi, so hopefully it will work ok with that. Thanks for the heads up, not had any free time to try Ozon yet.

• 4 weeks later...