EU Charging UK ebook lovers 20% extra!

Then buy a book, not an ebook!

I'm sorry but I just cannot feel sorry for a person who wants to buy an e-book. I completely understand its positives, but at the end of the day its a "premium" device that if money was such an issue, you would not be able to afford.

What about the disabled or elderly people sometimes unable to visit brick and mortar stores, should they be forced to wait for books to ship or pay postage costs? Premium you can literally get a kindle for

What about the disabled or elderly people sometimes unable to visit brick and mortar stores, should they be forced to wait for books to ship or pay postage costs? Premium you can literally get a kindle for

This is the first time I've heard that books were tax free, and it's really ###### me off to know how much more rediculous book prices are. I'm getting a course text book soon (because of the lack of quality teaching on my course) and it's

I gotta say I agree with the premise that Paper and Digital Books should be treated the same.

The argument over Books that are fiction and such should be taxed is a valid one, but secondary. Given that the Paper versions of all books are untaxed, then digital should be the same. If you want to change the way it's done, then both should change. Why make people who want the digital version pay more?

Now for me I like the one rule for all books, no tax. It's simple, there's no debate over minutia. But it could always be broken down into academic books tax free everything else taxed, or whatever. But the one rule for all is a simple way. Personally, I think with so few people reading these days, just leave it all tax free. It's not like it's a new tax break either, they have been around for ages. This change in the EU is nothing more than a money grab, they don't care about all the points raised here, they just figured they would be able to make themselves some more money, and was probably hoping no one would notice the double standard.

I gotta say I agree with the premise that Paper and Digital Books should be treated the same.

The argument over Books that are fiction and such should be taxed is a valid one, but secondary. Given that the Paper versions of all books are untaxed, then digital should be the same. If you want to change the way it's done, then both should change. Why make people who want the digital version pay more?

Now for me I like the one rule for all books, no tax. It's simple, there's no debate over minutia. But it could always be broken down into academic books tax free everything else taxed, or whatever. But the one rule for all is a simple way. Personally, I think with so few people reading these days, just leave it all tax free. It's not like it's a new tax break either, they have been around for ages. This change in the EU is nothing more than a money grab, they don't care about all the points raised here, they just figured they would be able to make themselves some more money, and was probably hoping no one would notice the double standard.

Amen this debate is not about the justice of having paper books tax free it is about calling for the UK to have the power if it so wishes to bring about tax equality. Consider before ebooks became popular this wouldn't even warrant discussing. I don't buy digital books as a service I buy the RIGHT to have access to the book but it is still a physical data file thus that file is a "book" I can aeroplane mode my kindle forever and even amazon can't retract them it's not as if I am on steam. It is a double standard I implore you to sign and share my friend!

• 2 weeks later...

Amen this debate is not about the justice of having paper books tax free it is about calling for the UK to have the power if it so wishes to bring about tax equality. Consider before ebooks became popular this wouldn't even warrant discussing. I don't buy digital books as a service I buy the RIGHT to have access to the book but it is still a physical data file thus that file is a "book" I can aeroplane mode my kindle forever and even amazon can't retract them it's not as if I am on steam. It is a double standard I implore you to sign and share my friend!

I trust I won't be modshot (new term for you all) but I have new information which might be of interest as follows: 

"Hi everyone I have some fairly big Abolish the 20% Reading Tax. campaign news and here it is. The former Lord Mayor of Liverpool @garymillar is giving his full weight to the campaign, having endorsed it publically off and online. Hopefully with his local connections we can continue to build on the clout we currently have. In addition we have a verbal endorsement from one local Labour MP (who wishes to remain non-signatory until we gain more support). Success so far!"

If you wish to take a look at the campaign and sign please go to tinyurl.com/readingtax