Microserver G8 wont boot from hdd

Hi all,

I've recently acquired a new HP microserver.  I had an N36L before and its all configured nicely.

I pulled the disk out and put it into the new server.  For some reason it's not booting from it? It skips straight to NIC boot and just sits there trying and trying.

I can boot from USB using a pen drive linux install and verify the disk is definitely detected with fdisk.

I also put a disk with an old windows install on it and it wouldn't boot that either.

I'm not sure which direction to go from here?

Cheers,

Alex

I believe that the B120i is enabled and in RAID mode by default, your disk may not be seen as a boot device unless the controller reports an array is present. If you are not planning on building an array switch it to AHCI mode and disable the B120i.

I believe that the B120i is enabled and in RAID mode by default, your disk may not be seen as a boot device unless the controller reports an array is present. If you are not planning on building an array switch it to AHCI mode and disable the B120i.

This was absolutely correct.  Thank you so much for your solution!

Apologies for being vague.  I've got my linux install set up exactly how I'd like it, I really didn't want to reinstall.

I've transplanted the drive but it's having issue's connecting it to my network now.  It's running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS command-line only.

ok so can you get to a CLI?

also what was the NIC called in your old install compared to the new install?

Ah, I'm not a Linux guy, but I suspect the drivers for the NICs on the G8 might not be present in your current install. But I might be thinking from a windows perspective!

Ah, I'm not a Linux guy, but I suspect the drivers for the NICs on the G8 might not be present in your current install. But I might be thinking from a windows perspective!

You don't have "drivers" in Linux. It's a little different perspective.

Apologies for being vague.  I've got my linux install set up exactly how I'd like it, I really didn't want to reinstall.

I've transplanted the drive but it's having issue's connecting it to my network now.  It's running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS command-line only.

If the NIC's were a static setup, I would try switching them to DHCP and reboot the server. I say reboot the server because when the kernel goes to bring the networking up, it will not only turn on the local adapters (hardware) but it will also go for the network configuration file (interfaces) and hopefully that means it puts them into DHCP mode and you get nic's.

Thats the "easy I'm lazy" way. If you actually want to troubleshoot, I would run the following and see what the server spits back versus what your interfaces file says

First command will show all ethernet interfaces the OS sees, if you don't see any, thats a problem.

Second will allow you to "ping" a specific interface and see what the OS responds back with. Show show mac address, speed, ip, etc

Third will show all interfaces, regardless of if they are active or not active.

lspci | grep -i ethernet

ifconfig <interface>

ip link

Hopefully this helps

You don't have "drivers" in Linux. It's a little different perspective.

Since when lol

there is Graphics Drivers which is a biggy right away

There is also Network Drivers too for different chip sets and wireless

Most stuff will "just work" from the get go but there are most definitely drivers

fixed it 

/etc/network/interfaces.

the new controller was called eth1 so I just changed any ref to eth0 to eth1.

Good find. I would be careful with this because if you don't have a eth0 interface, the OS might change its mind one day and default to eth0 on a reboot and you'll be in the same position you were in today.

I would try to figure out why its not setting the only nic you have to eth0 instead of eth1

just leave it as is

the interfaces file wont revert back to eth0

not everyones NIC they use is called eth0

So you will be fine

Since when lol

there is Graphics Drivers which is a biggy right away

There is also Network Drivers too for different chip sets and wireless

Most stuff will "just work" from the get go but there are most definitely drivers

I didn't mean they don't have drivers. I meant that the way you install them is different. ;)

just leave it as is

the interfaces file wont revert back to eth0

not everyones NIC they use is called eth0

So you will be fine

The assignment is based on how many nic's you have in your machine. It doesnt come from the hardware. So why wouldn't it revert back to eth0 if its the only interface? it starts from the 1st nic it finds and counts up.

I spose I could rename eth1 to eth0? I'm not sure how I would go about this though...

Using udev you can rename interfaces. If you follow the steps below, you'll be able to set it back to eth0.

First get Mac Address of current interface

ifconfig eth1

Then edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70persistent-net.rules and add the following

KERNEL=="eth*", SYSFS{address}=="<your mac address>", NAME="eth0?

Once your done with the above, updated your interfaces and restart. Everything should be good now.

Might be too simple - try changing the NIC you have the cable in, there are two NICs on the G8, maybe you actual do have it in ETH1

The assignment is based on how many nic's you have in your machine. It doesnt come from the hardware. So why wouldn't it revert back to eth0 if its the only interface? it starts from the 1st nic it finds and counts up.

because the G8 has dual ports on the nic

so its never gonna change unless he physically unplugs it and plugs it into the other NIC

that Port will ALWAYS be eth1

because the G8 has dual ports on the nic

so its never gonna change unless he physically unplugs it and plugs it into the other NIC

that Port will ALWAYS be eth1

I totally missed the g8 has 2 ports and I have one! I thought OP said he has only 1 port so thats why I said what I said.

Scratch what i said earlier OP, the G8 has 2 LAN ports and you most likely DO have it in eth1