Oklahoma Frat Boys Caught Singing 'There Will Never Be A N***** In SAE'

The national headquarters for Sigma Alpha Epsilon is closing its chapter at the University of Oklahoma after video surfaced Sunday of members on a bus singing racist lyrics about their fraternity. SAE's national office called the video "inappropriate" and said it was "disgusted" by its members behavior.

"In addition, all of the members have been suspended, and those members who are responsible for the incident may have their membership privileges revoked permanently," the national SAE office said in its statement.

Prior to SAE's announcement, University of Oklahoma President David Boren said if they determine it is in fact their chapter of SAE, the fraternity would be removed from campus.

The nine-second video, uploaded by an anonymous user on YouTube, shows a group of college students in formal attire clapping while they sing racist lyrics to the tune of "If You're Happy And You Know It" during a date function. The lyrics as heard in the video are:

"There will never be a n***** in SAE.
There will never be a n***** in SAE.
You can hang him from a tree, but he can never sign with me
There will never be a n***** in SAE."

"When we learned about this incident, I called an immediate board meeting, and we determined with no mental reservation whatsoever that this chapter needed to be closed immediately," Brad Cohen, the fraternity

I call this stupidity at it's finest. I personally think that everyone should be educated on diversity, regardless of what groups and organizations.

• Like 1

Ban the frat and ban any of the lesser involved members from joining any frats in the future.

For the instigators: expulsion for cause with notes in their transcripts.

They've kicked the frat from the uni.

• Like 1

since looking at this myself. I say that they shouldn't be punished.

the reason?

the college accepts federal funds. because of this the right to free speech should be absolute. I'm sick of seeing colleges being turned into hug boxes with speech codes.

you don't like what they said? so what?

did it hurt your feelings? were you offended? so what.

we should all collectively be upset that these people's right to free speech is being trampled on, no matter how disgusting the speech was.

the reason?

the college accepts federal funds. because of this the right to free speech should be absolute. I'm sick of seeing colleges being turned into hug boxes with speech codes.

we should all collectively be upset that these people's right to free speech is being trampled on, no matter how disgusting the speech was.

Well part of the punishment is being done in house by heads of Sigma Alpha Epsilon. As for the University, I think the argument for freedom of speech would be up for debate. There still is a "standards of conduct" setup by the interfraternity council, which if a fraternity wants to have a chapter there has to abide by the rules setup. According to that standards of conduct, it would seemed they have broken a few of those listed. 

• Like 2

Personally I think the entire fraternity/sorority system ought to be scrapped, as it doesn't contribute to the education experience. People feel pressured to conform, even to the point where people die because of hazing rituals. They're culturally toxic.

As for these students, the university should take a hardline approach and suspend or expel them. There needs to be consequences. The education system should be working towards eliminating racism, not facilitating it.

• Like 1

I'm kinda surprised they still exist, tbh. I thought they went out of fashion with everything else in the 80's...

From a British point of view the whole fraternity system is laughable, what we see in the movies is actually real? Glad it doesn't happen here.

• Like 3

From a British point of view the whole fraternity system is laughable, what we see in the movies is actually real? Glad it doesn't happen here.

It can't be.... seriously.. it just.. can't.. Can it?

Was it really like Revenge of the Nerds back in the day? :p

But it does. In Europe undergrad organisations are called Corporations (most) or Nations (Finland, Sweden.) Not so much in the UK, but elsewhere.

why it need to be greek?

Tradition. It dates back to the mid-1700's, Phi Beta Kappa, but became common after Chi Phi was founded in 1824 at Princeton.

Ex: at the Univ. of Michigan (GO BLUE!) "Greek Life" started in 1845 and about 20% of students are participants, mostly women in sororities, with 66 active groups.

the reason?

I cannot tell you how sick I am of seeing people throw out the "freedom of speech" card whenever they say stupid stuff like this.  For the record, yes, in "America" we have freedom of speech.  You can say whatever you want, when you want, to whomever you want.  However, it's important that you understand this one thing: Freedom of Speech is NOT freedom from consequence.  If someone runs into an airport and yells "bomb!!!" that's freedom of speech.  It doesn't mean they won't get locked up for saying it.  Just like if someone says they want to hurt someone (like the president).  You can say it.  But the secret service will be at your door to question you.

Freedom of Speech is NOT freedom from consequence. If someone runs into an airport and yells "bomb!!!" that's freedom of speech. It doesn't mean they won't get locked up for saying it. Just like if someone says they want to hurt someone (like the president). You can say it. But the secret service will be at your door to question you.

Ehh.... What are you rambling about?  :huh:

How is it freedom of you get locked up for it?

Freedom of speech is the concept of the inherent human right to voice one's opinion publicly without fear of censorship or punishment.

Yeah there are exceptions, like defamation, and most likely hate speech like that, but seriously. Freedom of speech... :rolleyes:

IceBreakerG, on 10 Mar 2015 - 08:28, said:snapback.png

Ehh.... What are you rambling about?

In your world what does Freedom in freedom of speech mean?

And this is exactly why these issues are so sensitive. Freedom of speech really isn't Freedom of Speech anymore in the sense that people think it is. As an individual sure you can say racist stuff if you want, you won't get jailed unless you threaten a life, but you will be judged. However in response to the university, what they did reflected not only the entire SAE community, it reflected on the university. I feel like that should go with consequence shouldn't it? Freedom of Speech still or at least now does have its limits

• Like 1

And this is exactly why these issues are so sensitive. Freedom of speech really isn't Freedom of Speech anymore in the sense that people think it is. As an individual sure you can say racist stuff if you want, you won't get jailed unless you threaten a life, but you will be judged. However in response to the university, what they did reflected not only the entire SAE community, it reflected on the university. I feel like that should go with consequence shouldn't it? Freedom of Speech still or at least now does have its limits

edited my post above to mention exceptions.    and freedom of speech in this case is not likely to apply..

But IceBreakerG'es ramblings, how freedom of speech is a right to speak and get arrested for it, are just laughable by definition.

Ehh.... What are you rambling about?  :huh:

Yeah there are exceptions, like defamation, and most likely hate speech like that, but seriously. Freedom of speech... :rolleyes:

Definition of Consequence: a result or effect of an action or condition.

Definition of Punishment: the infliction or imposition of a penalty as retribution for an offense.

Not really the same thing are they?  I never said you'd be "punished" for saying stupid things.  I said there are consequences for it. There's a difference.

edited my post above to mention exceptions.    and freedom of speech in this case is not likely to apply..

But IceBreakerG'es ramblings, how freedom of speech is a right to speak and get arrested for it, are just laughable by definition.

And maybe I used a bad example for the first one. That doesn't change the fact that there are always consequences for what we say and do. Consequence, by definition, doesn't mean something bad will happen, but it's incredibly naive to think you can really say whatever you want without something like this happening.

/sigh

If this video was shot on school property, or the property of a school-chartered/sanctioned group like a fraternity or sorority house, the goings on there are subject to the schools Rules of Conduct. These usually outlaw acting like racist POS's.

Ta-Da

the reason?

WTF? Your comment couldn't be more wrong...

Actually, in accepting federal funds there are more rules on not discriminating then enforcing free speech. The students can rant all they want online and off campus but when participating in sanctioned on campus organizations/events there will be limits on their speech. You think any college is going to allow KKK and pro-incest groups on campus under the guise of free speech? Get real man, absolute anything does not exist anywhere.

• Like 2

the reason?

I think you are confusing freedom of speech, to code of conduct here.   Yes, the students as individuals may say that they hate ######, and cannot be persecuted by our legal system, for it is their opinion, and while we might find it vulgar, etc, etc, etc....it is their right to feel that way.

However, as members of an University, they accepted to "behave" in ways that the University finds appropriate, and thus the code of conduct.  Each student upon acceptance to the university agrees to "behave" in such manner as the University stipulated, and violation of such, probably means expulsion or some sort of punishment by university officials.

Understanding the setting is the key here, and who and what might be doing the "punishment".  The university, then totally fine with it, our legal system, wrong.

WTF? Your comment couldn't be more wrong...

Actually, in accepting federal funds there are more rules on not discriminating then enforcing free speech. The students can rant all they want online and off campus but when participating in sanctioned on campus organizations/events there will be limits on their speech. You think any college is going to allow KKK and pro-incest groups on campus under the guise of free speech? Get real man, absolute anything does not exist anywhere.

Who was being discriminated against? All these kids did was say something offensive. Face it, they were punished for legally allowed speech under speech codes and codes of conduct that I don't believe are legal since they take federal funds

Who was being discriminated against? All these kids did was say something offensive. Face it, they were punished for legally allowed speech under speech codes and codes of conduct that I don't believe are legal since they take federal funds

Who is being discriminated against? Are you kidding? Me and others have already corrected you about the federal funding thing but you can believe anything you like I suppose. Thanks for playing...

I am in no way condoning what these guys did, but I do have a question--Was alcohol involved?

I know fraternities and sororities have alcohol policies in place, but I also know the reputation of fraternities in regard to drinking, so there's always that possibility.

Again, in no way am I condoning, or offering excuses for, the behavior of these guys.