How about Web Browser Neutrality?

Question

Hi,

You already know the endless struggle most designers experience while developing a cross browser HTML layout or a theme. Frameworks like Bootstrap, EXTJS, etc., made it lot easier but we are still far from perfection.

I was wondering, if the World Wide Web can set some standards for the HTML or CSS documents, why can

11 answers to this question

Don't base your decisions off a simple checklist, look at what features actually matter and whether or not the browser supports them (e.g. Firefox on my machine loses a point for not supporting an old MPEG-4 codec, which no other desktop browser supports, because it's an old mobile codec)

And also honestly I just don't think that site is that good, it thinks WebP is a standard, and claims to link to the page about it on the W3C, but then links to a page documenting canvas blending modes.

(e.g. Firefox on my machine loses a point for not supporting an old MPEG-4 codec, which no other desktop browser supports, because it's an old mobile codec)

Why would Firefox loose a point for that if you said no other browser supports it ether?

html5test.com is in some ways flawed, arbitrary, and irrevelent but aren't all tests? It still can be useful... When comparing two browsers and the scores are close it's not going to tell you anything but when the scores are far apart like in the case of Chrome and Sarfari that does tell you something. It's well know Apple has been slow to roll out HMTL5 features to Sarfari and that's because their browser is not a priority for them.

The answer is it takes time to code stuff and some browsers take standards compliance more seriously then others... Thank God users have a choice on what broswer they can use. Well, Apple folk not so much but I would never buy an Apple product.

Code to whatever standard you are going for, do not implement any browser specific workarounds, if something doesn't work to the standard, place blame where it belongs, in the browser makers where it belongs

As long as lazy coders insist on using browser specific hacks or implementations the makers will not toe the standard line and you get IE6 all over again 

Why would Firefox loose a point for that if you said no other browser supports it ether?

because that html5 test is very flawed

Yep, because some mobile versions of Safari and Opera support it, they count it as a negative that desktop browsers don't.

It's difficult to keep up with all the latest standards; browsers will probably never achieve a perfect score.

Choice is good; if it weren't for Mozilla (first browser to support tabs) who knows what IE would be right now.

How a site performs across platforms/OSs comes down to the sites developer/s.

sometimes that html5 testpage also wrong.

i have encountered many sites that start playing .mp3 music at page load without adobe-flash help, but that test page said MP3 aren't supported.

Choice is good; if it weren't for Mozilla (first browser to support tabs) who knows what IE would be right now.

The SimulBrowse/NetCaptor shell for IE had tabs way before Mozilla introduced them.