How do you upgrade? I click the crap out of them and it never gives me options, and wont let me overlay a new road on top.

I also tired using a roundabout. I have like 3 blocks of traffic waiting behind it lol

edit: just got that mod, and learned how to upgrade roads. isnt working yet but getting there.

Edited by blank

If you have unique buildings (fire stations, police stations etc) placed you can't upgrade the road near it if you're going from a lower capacity road to a higher one as well. You'll have to move those buildings first.

Found some required mods that really help the game out. Seems there is a bug with the garbage and dead people. Anyways these seem to help me:

Automatic Bulldoze abandoned and burnt down buildings

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406132323

Advanced Crematorium

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407123030

Hellfire Garbage Disposal

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407006299

I'm trying to redo my roads. I'm having major problems with roudabouts. They seem to actually slow down, and even stall my traffic. Maybe i have too many exits, who knows.

I'm having alot of trouble with traffic and roads, but the thing about this i love over simcity is its actually fixable. Perfect Puzzle, so i'm sure i'll figure it out.

I also need to figure out how to make highway like exits that don create stop lights. kinda ruins the point of making a speed way/highway.

The surrounding area is a bit messed up and some roads not connecting due to restructuring of roads.

gOM.jpg

tEQ.jpg

I do wonder how the actual simulation in this game is though, or if it just fakes everything like earlier sim city games. Since some people say that you don't even need to connect industry/work zones to the residential zones, and people will still go to work. 

Does that mean also that the invasion army convoy of garbage trucks in the city don't actually go around picking up trash, they just drive "randomly" around and there's no real simulation of the trash pickup.

you can say a lot of bad things about SimCity, and GlassBox wasn't quite ready at launch, but t does simulate pretty much everything down to single individuals going from home to work and back again, and mostly staying 16 out of 24 hours a day at the bus stop :p 

I do wonder how the actual simulation in this game is though, or if it just fakes everything like earlier sim city games. Since some people say that you don't even need to connect industry/work zones to the residential zones, and people will still go to work. 

Does that mean also that the invasion army convoy of garbage trucks in the city don't actually go around picking up trash, they just drive "randomly" around and there's no real simulation of the trash pickup.

you can say a lot of bad things about SimCity, and GlassBox wasn't quite ready at launch, but t does simulate pretty much everything down to single individuals going from home to work and back again, and mostly staying 16 out of 24 hours a day at the bus stop :p

I've seen trash trucks leave the waste dump and actually drive to the buildings that have the trash icon above them. Same with dead people hearses, fires, police, etc.

Found some required mods that really help the game out. Seems there is a bug with the garbage and dead people. Anyways these seem to help me:

Automatic Bulldoze abandoned and burnt down buildings

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406132323

Advanced Crematorium

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407123030

Hellfire Garbage Disposal

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407006299

I'm trying to redo my roads. I'm having major problems with roudabouts. They seem to actually slow down, and even stall my traffic. Maybe i have too many exits, who knows.

I'm having alot of trouble with traffic and roads, but the thing about this i love over simcity is its actually fixable. Perfect Puzzle, so i'm sure i'll figure it out.

I also need to figure out how to make highway like exits that don create stop lights. kinda ruins the point of making a speed way/highway.

The surrounding area is a bit messed up and some roads not connecting due to restructuring of roads.

Try to cut down on the intersections, and make sure you don't upgrade the roundabouts, it actually breaks them (Roundabouts are a special type of road, "upgrading" it to a higher capacity two lane road actually just turns it into a normal 2 lane road)

It feels kind of cheap to use mods. Abandoned Buildings were a real pain until I discovered that it tells you why they were abandoned (somehow I missed to the tooltip.) Solve that, and no more (huge number of) Abandoned Buildings to deal with.

It feels kind of cheap to use mods. Abandoned Buildings were a real pain until I discovered that it tells you why they were abandoned (somehow I missed to the tooltip.) Solve that, and no more (huge number of) Abandoned Buildings to deal with.

You're probably right. i may not keep it, but the trash issues are a bug, and its expensive to deal with, and eventually you'll need a entire garbage googleplex to deal with it.

i have a feeling the devs will be updating this alot. So far they said they're super happy with the way the community adopted this game, and the modders. They're super active on steamwork shop. tons of comments.

Patch 1.0.6b is live. Changelog:

• Windows: dependencies to the visual studio runtime have been removed. Addresses the issue where ColossalNative.dll would fail to load for users missing/having wrong msvcrt dlls.
  • Windows/OSX: fixed an issue where some users would not have permissions to access an user folder
  • Linux: fixed some cases where the first time launch would show the game half way out of the screen on dual monitors
  • Linux: various runtime optimizations
  • Linux: hopefully fixed the performance problems and the log spam, we were unable to reproduce that issue so this is a bit of a blindfolded fix
  • Linux: added support for $XDG_DATA_HOME. If you are using a custom path for XDG and already played the game on that machine, you will need to manually move the user files from the default folder ~/.local/share/Colossal Order/Cities_Skylines to $XDG_DATA_HOME/Colossal Order/Cities_Skylines
  • Mac/Linux: fixed a crash when selecting a building in the Asset importer
  • All platforms: added some debug info which may be useful when trying to help users in trouble
  • All platforms: added support for -screen-height & -screen-width and lowered severity of argument error unsupported launch options so they would cause the new game button to be greyed
  • Modding API: fixed OnCalculateResidentialDemand, OnCalculateCommercialDemand and OnCalculateWorkplaceDemand to call their respective counterpart properly. Also fixed for office buildings calling industrial level up.
  • nerfed parks decreasing commercial demand
  • road upgrade tool now works between two-way and one-way roads and right mouse-button changes direction of one-way roads
  • building effect radius is more accurate
  • added a Film grain slider in the Graphics options, like for the Tilt shift. (Users with the Disable Film Grain mod subscribed from Steam workshop and enabled will be notified with a "Console warning" when the game start and the game will automatically disable the mod and set the film grain amount to 0 so that no action from users is required apart from closing the Console panel).
  • added a chirper volume slider in the Audio options
  • intro screen can be skipped with mouse click or key press
  • fixed a case where an error would occur if the Source folder was not found while sharing a Mod to the workshop
  • fixed Publish workshop panel caption to not always show Savegame regardless which asset type was selected
  • killed the clicking sounds that could be heard on a quiet night during full moon and near the end of the loading screen
  • buildings uploaded to the workshop will now go to their respective tags automatically. (Buildings already on the workshop will not, we are currently investigating how to make it happen without users having to do anything about it)
  • fixed holding down mouse button and release over ui keeps some tools active
  • fixed tooltip stays visible when using shortcut to open area view
  • fixed parking spaces still working for burned down buildings.
  • fixed mouse raycast use normal mesh for burned down buildings.
  • removed airplane engine sound from unlockpanel...
  • fixed minor text issues in different languages
  • fixed wrong tree shadow alpha with pollution or water
  • fixed bulldozeing ship/airplane paths in map editor even when they are not visible
  • fixed pedestrian bridge color slightly wrong from far distance

Source: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?845874-Bugfixing-patch-1.0.6b-is-here!

• Like 1

That's a pretty good change log. I know you guys will be happy about the road building tool working with one-way streets now.

Seems like they're genuinely interested in fixing the game. I may purchase this game after all, even though I'm terrible at these types of games. Once I'm done with Bloodborne, I probably pick this one up.

Bought this game last night.  I love it.. but congestion has ruined my first city, so going to start again tonight.  I've been thinking up ways of trying to beat congestion.. it all comes down to how you handle the initial highway connections I think.

Patch 1.0.6b is live. Changelog:

• Windows: dependencies to the visual studio runtime have been removed. Addresses the issue where ColossalNative.dll would fail to load for users missing/having wrong msvcrt dlls.
  • Windows/OSX: fixed an issue where some users would not have permissions to access an user folder
  • Linux: fixed some cases where the first time launch would show the game half way out of the screen on dual monitors
  • Linux: various runtime optimizations
  • Linux: hopefully fixed the performance problems and the log spam, we were unable to reproduce that issue so this is a bit of a blindfolded fix
  • Linux: added support for $XDG_DATA_HOME. If you are using a custom path for XDG and already played the game on that machine, you will need to manually move the user files from the default folder ~/.local/share/Colossal Order/Cities_Skylines to $XDG_DATA_HOME/Colossal Order/Cities_Skylines
  • Mac/Linux: fixed a crash when selecting a building in the Asset importer
  • All platforms: added some debug info which may be useful when trying to help users in trouble
  • All platforms: added support for -screen-height & -screen-width and lowered severity of argument error unsupported launch options so they would cause the new game button to be greyed
  • Modding API: fixed OnCalculateResidentialDemand, OnCalculateCommercialDemand and OnCalculateWorkplaceDemand to call their respective counterpart properly. Also fixed for office buildings calling industrial level up.
  • nerfed parks decreasing commercial demand
  • road upgrade tool now works between two-way and one-way roads and right mouse-button changes direction of one-way roads
  • building effect radius is more accurate
  • added a Film grain slider in the Graphics options, like for the Tilt shift. (Users with the Disable Film Grain mod subscribed from Steam workshop and enabled will be notified with a "Console warning" when the game start and the game will automatically disable the mod and set the film grain amount to 0 so that no action from users is required apart from closing the Console panel).
  • added a chirper volume slider in the Audio options
  • intro screen can be skipped with mouse click or key press
  • fixed a case where an error would occur if the Source folder was not found while sharing a Mod to the workshop
  • fixed Publish workshop panel caption to not always show Savegame regardless which asset type was selected
  • killed the clicking sounds that could be heard on a quiet night during full moon and near the end of the loading screen
  • buildings uploaded to the workshop will now go to their respective tags automatically. (Buildings already on the workshop will not, we are currently investigating how to make it happen without users having to do anything about it)
  • fixed holding down mouse button and release over ui keeps some tools active
  • fixed tooltip stays visible when using shortcut to open area view
  • fixed parking spaces still working for burned down buildings.
  • fixed mouse raycast use normal mesh for burned down buildings.
  • removed airplane engine sound from unlockpanel...
  • fixed minor text issues in different languages
  • fixed wrong tree shadow alpha with pollution or water
  • fixed bulldozeing ship/airplane paths in map editor even when they are not visible
  • fixed pedestrian bridge color slightly wrong from far distance

Source: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?845874-Bugfixing-patch-1.0.6b-is-here!

Traffic not addressed yet :/

Bought this game last night.  I love it.. but congestion has ruined my first city, so going to start again tonight.  I've been thinking up ways of trying to beat congestion.. it all comes down to how you handle the initial highway connections I think.

This is what is keeping me from buying this game... way to many bad comments on traffic.

This is what is keeping me from buying this game... way to many bad comments on traffic.

That's because most people don't know how to manage traffic. There's people with huge cities (300k+ population) and have no traffic issues.....most of the comments bashing the traffic is just bad road placement.

There is room for improvement in the traffic AI (such as service vehicles responding to the nearest location rather than responding to the initial location that needed the service before going to the next), but in general if you plan properly and use the right roads in the right places, you shouldn't have major traffic issues.

• Like 1

again, i am happy that i waited.   i am sure they will keep changing it more and more, and i will start playing only when they address the issues people are having.

then i will play a game that people don't complain about.   and not waste time to be dissapointed.   they seem dedicated enough to do it :)

Traffic being jacked up in this game has been the most fun for me. IT does get better if you work on it, and what i like about this game is you see the results almost immediately after making a change.

They need to fix the bug there where cars will turn completely sideways on highways and stop/block traffic. There is no reason for this behavior, and it doesnt make any sense at all. I've had issues where cars would just be sitting for a few seconds sideways against all the traffic. I only assume they're switching lanes for an upcoming exit, but who knows.

A few seconds might not sound like a big deal, but I have ALOT of traffic, and if every now and then a car does this, it adds up and there ends up being a big line of cars slowly moving. I noticed spacing and doing exits and on ramps greatly reduces this.

Since the patch, i noticed my commercial and residential demands have slightly increased, not much. Industrial seemed ot have taken a hit, i have a bit more abandoned industrial buildings now then before the patch, which im okay with. I never liked having much industrial zones in these games.

Good patch, only getting better :D

I have a city at just over 200K and haven't had any traffic issues like what some people are complaining about. I think it is all in their traffic design, not the game itself. The challenge is designing roads, just like in real life, that have better flow.

Isn't the point of traffic problems to actually solve them? I mean i didn't write to the maker of Pacman claiming he should fix it because the ghosts keep killing me!

For what it's worth, i've not had any traffic issues myself, just make sure to concentrate on road placement and the initial connections to the highway.

Basically, don't let the "traffic is broken" claims stop you buying this game, it's awesome.

Isn't the point of traffic problems to actually solve them? I mean i didn't write to the maker of Pacman claiming he should fix it because the ghosts keep killing me!

For what it's worth, i've not had any traffic issues myself, just make sure to concentrate on road placement and the initial connections to the highway.

Basically, don't let the "traffic is broken" claims stop you buying this game, it's awesome.

see my self quote below.

Two lane roads and only one road is being used:

lot of this seems to be in that subreddit, traffic woes. vjwjmMy.jpg

see my self quote below.

Two lane roads and only one road is being used:

That's because vehicles get in the lane that they're going to be using (turning from) pretty early. You need more alternate routes to help with traffic flow.

• Like 1

The game is a v1 and it shows and some areas, but they did a very good job for a v1.

I'm looking forward to investing hours into this game and hopefully they invest time tweaking it a bit and delivering solid releases going forward.

I have had some traffic issues, but I don't see them as a complaint so much as a cue for me to learn the game mechanics and adjust. SC4 had horrible traffic issues...