GPU for CC/GIS/Triple-monitor.

Hello! 

I an looking for a GPU upgrade advice for a varied set of tasks. 

In terms of brands it's probably nVidia only due to the software mostly supporting GPGPU acceleration from nVidia.  

The card needs to work with 

1. Photoshop/Illustrator/Lightroom

2. GIS based Visualizations (thinking about trying out Manifold later when they release version 9), but so far it will probably be Open Source. 

3. Triple monitor setup (2x 1920 x 1200 and 1 x2560x1600). 

Out of theese

Adobes products seem to be fully supported by some nVidia cards, but I've heard that might be marketing.

And Manifold uses GPGPU CUDA acceleration, but version 8 is according to a Stackexchange post not worth it.

So what gpu or combo of gpus are possible for reasonable money?  

Quadro is quite expensive, so that leaves the GTX series.

I also wonder if one can combine a GTX 570 and a 210 GT or a NVS 290 card without Photoshop (as a example) bugging out and not knowing which card is supposed to do the GPGPU acceleration?

And if such a combinations for 3 monitors would work without the Windows 8.1 x64 OS getting laggy when switching between the start menu and desktop?

Kind Regards

Regert

Sweden.

First question is, what is your budget?

It depends.

If somone or a couple of people with similar necessities answer that: I/we have this card x and it works perfect for this and that, bit costs about $600, it could save up to it.

Otherwise I have to test it myselft and then of course I'll be looking at something significantly cheaper, like say $150-200.

A 4gb GTX 960 would meet your needs within your budget (probably abit higher than your projected budget like around $200-$300),but if you truly want a gfx that has the combination of a gtx and a quadro nvs then get a GTX TItan X. However, that card will cost you $1300 when it comes out by the end of this month.

A 4gb GTX 960 would meet your needs within your budget (probably abit higher than your projected budget like around $200-$300),but if you truly want a gfx that has the combination of a gtx and a quadro nvs then get a GTX TItan X. However, that card will cost you $1300 when it comes out by the end of this month.

Well, 960 is of course more affordable than a Titan X.

I run a triple 1080 screen set up, using a GTX760, it handles everything I throw at it just fine, (photoshop, gaming etc...)

I'll throw in a vote for it's consideration

Ok. Do you know if the GTX760 can run a combination of different resolutions. I have a 2560x1600 screen and two 1920x1200 screens.

Ok. Do you know if the GTX760 can run a combination of different resolutions. I have a 2560x1600 screen and two 1920x1200 screens.

Can't say for sure, I only have the 3 1080's running 5760x1080

I cannot find anything regarding the support for those resolutions, BUT, the website does suggest it'll handle 4 displays...

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760/features

(I also keep getting rushed off the pc lol)

Can't say for sure, I only have the 3 1080's running 5760x1080

I cannot find anything regarding the support for those resolutions, BUT, the website does suggest it'll handle 4 displays...

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760/features

(I also keep getting rushed off the pc lol)

Yes, indeed. Well it sure seems like a possibility.Buy You say that Photoshop supports it, which is good. I'll check the Illustrator support.

You'll be fine with in terms of screen resoulution, the max res listed on the website is for one monitor. Running three monitors with different screen res for each monitor should be fine unless you're running nvidia surround.

You'll be fine with in terms of screen resoulution, the max res listed on the website is for one monitor. Running three monitors with different screen res for each monitor should be fine unless you're running nvidia surround.

Well, I certainly hope so.

I've decided to start so long while I save up and decide with a single 570 GTX just to test if it is supported.

You wouldn't know if a SLI 570 would support three monitors? I.e can tou use the outputs on the second card?

Wasn't the GTX 960 the latest from Nvidia with native DX12? I'd say Xenodrome is right. atleast put yourself in a "ready position" for Windows 10 and DX12 for your work.

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother with a 5XX, 6XX or 7XX series. Just get a 970 GTX and be done with it.

http://amzn.com/B00NVODXR4

Thanks for the link. Looks like a quite OK cooler.

Wasn't the GTX 960 the latest from Nvidia with native DX12? I'd say Xenodrome is right. atleast put yourself in a "ready position" for Windows 10 and DX12 for your work.

Well, I don't think you are wrong, however I'd like to test it first, and recently the US dollar got alot more expensive here, so I've kind of missed the oppurtunity. Also, as I have understood from Adobe forums, it seems like Maxwell isn't fully supported yet as a example. Though I'm unsure what they mean by that. I guess that some specific functions are officially not 100% supported.

@Xendrome: I Think you are correct that 970 is a good middle class card to get ###### done with and one that is also energy efficient.

Thanks for the link. Looks like a quite OK cooler.

Well, I don't think you are wrong, however I'd like to test it first, and recently the US dollar got alot more expensive here, so I've kind of missed the oppurtunity. Also, as I have understood from Adobe forums, it seems like Maxwell isn't fully supported yet as a example. Though I'm unsure what they mean by that. I guess that some specific functions are officially not 100% supported.

@Xendrome: I Think you are correct that 970 is a good middle class card to get ###### done with and one that is also energy efficient.

I guess a better way to put my point is, get a Dx12 card now because chances are, you'll wind up running Windows 10 before long and will migrate your system to that OS. get ahead of the curve.

I have a 3gb 660ti and it powers 2x22 1680x1050s and a 47 1080p games led all at the same time so yes. Heck my core i7 ulv on my old lenevo x201s powers 3x1080p nps and is usable at work for a sys admin.

Well, got the GTX 570. Installed it in a Windows 10 Technical Preview PC I have. It's a Core i7 X980 with 12 GB ram. 

Got hold of a Adobe Illustrator CC 2014 trial and well.... it's damn slow. 

Now this is a 30 MB .ai file that is basically huge. But it's still slow. 

Can it be that it's better to try the same in Windows 8.1 (my main rig) that is a AMD, but where everything will be DX11, including the GPU and the OS? 

I run a triple 1080 screen set up, using a GTX760, it handles everything I throw at it just fine, (photoshop, gaming etc...)

I'll throw in a vote for it's consideration

I'm in the same boat.  The only time I've seen any lag (@ 5760x1080) is when I ramp up the video settings all the way.  Right now the 960 I think would be a better choice if gaming is not a factor.