Looking for File Encryption Options

We have a Windows file server with Active Directory and looking for an encryption option (paid is fine, but $2,000 or less) that will suit our needs. NUmber of users could range from 10-20.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Needs:

1. Should integrate with AD allowing for transparent encryption/decryption.A
  2. Ability to grant access to several AD users or an AD security group.
  3. IT should be able to recover if a user encrypts something a leaves.
  4. A plus if: Able to restrict users from moving the files off the server.

Thanks guy!

My knowledge is limited in this regard, and better answers will come along.

Have you looked at Microsoft BitLocker or is that more for client, not servers?

microsoft has the ability to encrypt file locations. The downside is that users can copy to an unencrypted area (like their desktop) which would then decrypt the file and they would be able to send it out decrypted.  You want something that can not only manage the server shares but also manage the pcs too.

What you are looking for is more of a full dlp suite that encludes encryption. 

Something like this:

http://www.symantec.com/data-loss-prevention/

My knowledge is limited in this regard, and better answers will come along.

Have you looked at Microsoft BitLocker or is that more for client, not servers?

Bitlocker would not work for our needs, I don't believe, because it is for disk based encryption. We only want to encrypt certain folders/files. We tried Windows EFS but that didn't do what we needed either.

Symantec also makes a file encryption package that will encrypt specific locations and is seamless, however as I said if the user has the ability to copy encrypted files to an unencrypted area then all bets are off.

Watch the dlp video, that is what you want.

• 7 months later...

"A plus if: Able to restrict users from moving the files off the server."

Can the user read the file.. Then they can copy contents of said file to wherever they want.. As sc302 mentions only way to prevent such things is a full blown Data Leak Prevention sort of suite that also limits how the user can view and work with the file to prevent them from making their own copy.

I really question why you want/need "encryption" what is it your encrypting, if you giving multiple users access to the files.. Why is it you want to encrypt the shares and everything in it.. Why not just encrypt the files directly?  Are they office files.. What is the file type?

Hello,

Most anti-malware software companies offer tools like this.  Sometimes for free, sometimes as an add-on to your existing anti-malware software, and sometimes as a separate offering.  You might want to check with them and see what you have; it could be you have already paid for the DLP or encryption software and are just not using it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky