Powdered alcohol approval stirs U.S. controversy

The U.S. alcohol regulator has approved a new powdered alcohol product that's stirring up trouble even before it hits the retail market.

Palcohol is a powdered alcohol substitute in four flavours that can be mixed with water to create vodka, rum or mixed drinks such as a cosmopolitan or a margarita.

Company founder Mark Phillips said he plans to sell Palcohol, which comes in single-serving packages, in retail stores and online by this summer.

But since regulating alcohol is a state jurisdiction, states are already lining up with objections to the idea.

Among their concerns are whether people would accurately judge the amount of alcohol they have consumed with a powdered product, whether it would be easier to sneak Palcohol into a public event and whether it would be abused by minors.

New York Sen. Chuck Schumer says he plans to introduce a bill in the U.S. Senate on Thursday that would ban powdered alcohol nationwide. He was reacting to requests from numerous states for a ruling against the product.

"When you drink regular alcohol, beer, wine, hard liquor, it's in liquid form

I rarely agree with Sen. Schumer, but he's correct on this one. We have enough trouble with underage drinking without making it easier to conceal, smuggle into school or events etc.

• Like 3

I rarely agree with Sen. Schumer, but he's correct on this one. We have enough trouble with underage drinking without making it easier to conceal, smuggle into school or events etc.

I am quite surprise to hear that from you.

• Like 3

I'm not certain that some of the arguments presented against it make a lot of sense.

"When you drink regular alcohol, beer, wine, hard liquor, it's in liquid form

Part of the problem with alcohol smuggling is that it is entirely age-driven (the same applies to cigarette-smuggling, and even underage-driving - it even used to apply to voting), when the barrier is arguably arbitrary (which CAN be said to any age-regulated activity), the regulation almost dares that it be end-run.

Can Senator Schumer (or any politician in favor of keeping existing regulations in place) argue that said regulations actually work?

Is it easier to smuggle a fifth of Jack or a 6 pack into school or a football game than several flat envelopes tucked into your shoes? That practical aspect is what matters.

Before everyone gets high and mighty on this issue, highschooler's have already had a nice and descent way to get their alcohol and buy it legally. A bottle of vanilla extract is 70 proof and can be bought at any age. Used to buy allot of it and cola classic. No one could even say a thing really. There are already better ways to do this that are legal so I really doubt the powdered alcohol would catch on. As far as this for hiking it sounds like an amazing product. I remember my last major hiking.camping trip. Four mile hike to a secluded river with packs. We did not have enough room for water other than our canteens so we brought an empty container and used a water purifier filter and drank out of the river. Flavored alcohol packets would of become especially useful.

In a statement on the Palcohol website, he called concerns that people might snort the drinks for a quicker buzz ridiculous.

"It really burns to snort it," Phillips said. "Really uncomfortable. Because it's alcohol. As you would if you sniffed liquid vodka, it would burn like crazy."

I love that he's already tried to snort it :laugh:

Kids will always be able to get their hands on drugs and alcohol.  I don't see why this should be any more or less difficult to obtain.

Osiris recipe for "Rum2"

Ingredients;  1 glass, 1 bottle of rum, 1 rum sachet

Preparation: 

Step 1.  Pour glass of rum

Step 2.  Mix in rum sachet

Step 3.  enjoy.

Just because some might abuse a product does not in itself make a good reason to ban an otherwise legal product.If I were to take the same stance on technology and how it might be used by miscreants,drug runners and militants we would still be using slate and chalk.

Is it easier to smuggle a fifth of Jack or a 6 pack into school or a football game than several flat envelopes tucked into your shoes? That practical aspect is what matters.

Yes, it is. Pre mix anything, and have your wife stuff it into her purse. Gatorade-vodka? Piece of cake. ;)

they don't tell you how it is made (patent pending) - and i am not sure the way to dehydrate alcohol using another substance - that that substance is good to consume.

the fight to bring it to public is obviously taken longer then they expected.       instead of last fall, it is this summer...

and they now have vodka and rum, instead of just rum.

The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau which approved Palcohol said potential for abuse is no reason to ban a product.

And yet how many other things like drugs and weapons are banned by this agency and others due to potential for abuse...

If this is their logic, then we need some retroactive removal of many bans on other items/products.

And yet how many other things like drugs and weapons are banned by this agency and others due to potential for abuse...

If this is their logic, then we need some retroactive removal of many bans on other items/products.

Well, we all know how well prohibitions tend to work.  They're probably the best way to make damn sure banned products hit the streets through the worst possible ways...

Practically, why would you ever need powdered alcohol as an adult? To get it into places it shouldn't be?

I can't imagine a scenario in which you'd need or want it. 

"If they're an outdoor enthusiast and they're going hiking, backpacking, biking, kayaking, boating

Isn't one of the most obvious problems that you still have to take water with you to mix with the powder? You're not carrying any less, you're just carrying your alcohol in 2 parts. It's like instead of mixing your Tang at home you take it with you and some water to mix with later. You've gained no advantage.

There is a good idea: use up the water you should be using to keep you hydrated to mix up a Martini!

Dunno about you, but as a kid I learned how to get water anywhere using a fresh hole in the ground, a folding cup, a sheet of clear plastic and some stones. Survival 101.

Which is appropriate for survival, but if you were otherwise just hiking you would just take your own supply of water. I'd never go into the bush without ample supply of water.