The best way to use 2 SSD's in a PC.

Yes, it's the SSD on the Laptop. This SSD is very old, I first bought it for my main PC, then I put it in the Laptop to give it a second life.

Ive done the same with an old Vertex III 60Gbr I had lying about, longer battery life and lowering heat build up in general on the laptop and completely silent.

An aging centrino Lenevo that takes under 10 seconds to cold boot even with the Vertex stuck at SATA2, still seeing 250mb/sec R/Ws maxing the controller compared to 75-100Mb/sec from the 5400rpm platter drive.

Best upgrade ever to a laptop even stuck at Sata 2, as you say a new lease of life.

Windows 10 on a core i7 ulv, 8gb ddr2 and the 60Gb SSD is flying.

Hmm in a stripe my performance doubles... from about 500MB/s to 1000MB/s so I'd disagree.

Same here.  Two 250 gig 840 Evo drives in RAID 0 and it's fast.

RAID 0 wouldn't double your speed, you have extra software/hardware/cpu overheads so right away we know this to be rubbish. You'd need a decent hardware RAID card to improve speed but it will not double.

Not to mention the huge number of tests that have been done that show RAID 0 SSD slows your system down due to contention, you can't just write 16MB to one drive which is where you get the speed from, you have to write 1MB to one drive then check it, 1MB to the other drive then check it, etc. until you've written 8MB to both drives.

This is not entirely true.  For some things, SSDs in a stripe is faster, for random reads/writes a single drive is faster.  Proof:  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html

I love being the first person in a server after a map change.  In some games that could give a huge advantage like being able to start a race before anyone else is at the line.  I have been called a hacker a few times because people couldn't believe I could load the map that fast.  With that said, the new M.2 drives make doing SSDs in a RAID 0 configuration pointless, unless you have a HW RAID controller and 4+ drives.  But you're still not going to hit the IOPS that a single M.2 can hit.  So it really depends on what you're doing with the computer and what you value most.

Edit:  One thing that does suck about my setup is that the Samsung software doesn't recognize their own friggin drives when in a stripe.  WHY!?  WHY CAN'T YOU SEE THEM!?  Windows knows what they are!  This makes updating the firmware impossible unless you do each drive outside the stripe.  I'm going to have to install Windows on another drive (after making a disk image then breaking the RAID) or pull my SSDs and update them on another computer.  Either way this is a pain in the brown eye and I'm not looking forward to it. 

post-401476-0-09073300-1431879304.png

If I had to do it over again, I'd still run the RAID.

I have a 256GB Samsung 850 Pro and a 120GB Samsung 850 EVO. I can't return the 850 EVO as it is past the return date. So I was wondering what is the best way to use these 2 SSD's in one PC. Can 2 different SSD sizes and models be used in a RAID 0 configuration, or do they have to be exactly the same model and capacity?

You can't use two drives of different sizes in RAID1 (well you can if you go with the smaller disks size but that is a waste). Also those drives are already hitting the SATA3 max bandwidth so you won't see any faster speeds in a RAID. If you want faster you will need to upgrade to PCIe or SATA Express which will mean new drives anyway.

I've got 2 x 120 Samsung 840 EVO in RAID 0 for OS and 2 x 250 Samsung 840 EVO in RAID 0 for games/applications. 

Yes, it's a decent improvement, regardless of what benchmarks show and transferring between the two RAID 0 stripes does hit much faster speeds. Trim works just fine, RAPID isn't needed honestly with the speeds the RAID 0 can achieve and if you're really in a bind for that much more speed you can just do a ram disk.

• Like 1

Ignoring performance gains, running these two in RAID0 will mean you lose 130GB on the 250GB, effective increasing the price per GB, and losing 33% of the potential space you have.  I personally wouldn't do that.

When I ran a similar configuration (in terms of drive sizes), I ran a 128GB Crucial M4 as my OS/applications drive and a 256GB Samsung 830 as my data drive.  If I had two drives of the same size, I would consider RAID0 and logical partitions.

Are you confused on a Stripe VS Mirror? RAID 0 is a stripe, you aren't losing anything.

Just plug em in and use them as you would a normal hard drive. It isn't rocket science. 

1. 256GB Samsung 850 Pro for Windows

2. 240GB Ocz Vector150 for files

3. 250GB Samsung 840 Evo for backup / restore

Trim is supported in intels rst 13.0 and greater in raid 0. Scsi is a protocol only and can verify windows recognizes them as ssd whether in a raid volume or not

Are you confused on a Stripe VS Mirror? RAID 0 is a stripe, you aren't losing anything.

Raid 0 on different sized disks will only allocate space according to the size of the smallest drive.