Server 2012 R2 install on ESXI 5.5

Im installing Server 2012 R2 on ESXi 5.5 and the install fails at 35% everytime. The error message it game me said "files are missing or corrupt". So I downloaded a new ISO, straight from Microsoft again, and it still failed.

Anyone have an idea what it could be? Google the specific error code supplied gives me nothing. Error Code is 0x80070570

Someone please help, this is annoying and makes me not wanna both setting up a lab at home with windows servers to break the rust off of my windows server experience / knowledge

Check the SHA1/MD5 for your download. I have the following:

Name: 9600.17050.WINBLUE_REFRESH.140317-1640_X64FRE_SERVER_EVAL_EN-US-IR3_SSS_X64FREE_EN-US_DV9.ISO

Date: 3/12/2015
Size: 4 GB (247,324,672 bytes)
--------
SHA-1: 849734f37346385dac2c101e4aacba4626bb141c
MD5: 5b5e08c490ad16b59b1d9fab0def883a

Try downloading again with a different browser or using a download manager.

no other information you can supply? have you made your VM template correctly? is that error code from Windows Setup?

Its during installation, 4 CPU Cores and 2gbs of Ram, 50gb Hard Disk. I know the specs are correct so thats why I didn't provide them

Check the SHA1/MD5 for your download. I have the following:

Try downloading again with a different browser or using a download manager.

Already did. And they match 

Try upping the harddrive to 80GB.

Something else to consider, is your processor set to enable virtualization in the bios (dont know what processor you have or what computer you have).  If this option is not available, windows server 2012 is not going to happen.

11.png

Try upping the harddrive to 80GB.

Something else to consider, is your processor set to enable virtualization in the bios (dont know what processor you have or what computer you have).  If this option is not available, windows server 2012 is not going to happen.

11.png

Windows needs that much HD? According to system specs it only needs 32GBs. CPU is Core i7 and does support VT. VT is enabled. 

Download this iso, burn to CD and test your RAM. I'd put money on bad RAM or overheating.

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Its not bad ram cause the HOST is fine. This is not a physical server install, this is a ESXi host running many VMs and windows server is the only one being a pain in the ass

sounds like a bad ISO or bad RAM; since the OP has already checked the hash for the ISO and they match, then i guess a RAM test is the next step.

oh and 50GB is pleanty for Windows Server 2012, at least for now.

btw: can you install another ISO, like a Windows 7 / 8 with the same hardware?

Create a new VM and try installing Server 2012. Same issue?

Yes, created a new vm 4 times now

sounds like a bad ISO or bad RAM; since the OP has already checked the hash for the ISO and they match, then i guess a RAM test is the next step.

btw: can you install another ISO, like a Windows 7 / 8 with the same hardware?

Its a ESXi host, so again can't be bad ram. But I'm running Windows XP / 7 and 10 on the same ESXi Host without problems

Its a ESXi host, so again can't be bad ram. But I'm running Windows XP / 7 and 10 on the same ESXi Host without problems

It can happen, since you didn't specify if there was other VMs running on that host; even in virtualized environment, if you have bad RAM it will affect your VM.

can you upload that ISO to the datastore again? or can you burn into a DVD and use it with the DVD passthrough (from the host into the VM)?

Hmm, do your other VMs ever crash at all? Does still sound like an underlying hardware problem on the host.

Or possible datastore corruption on the store holding the iso and/or VM.

I'd run Memtest86 on the host for the hell of it just to rule that out, even though it doesn't always highlight a problem, but it might.

Hmm, do your other VMs ever crash at all? Does still sound like an underlying hardware problem on the host.

Or possible datastore corruption on the store holding the iso and/or VM.

Uptime is over 3 months, no issues with any VM or hardware

It can happen, since you didn't specify if there was other VMs running on that host; even in virtualized environment, if you have bad RAM it will affect your VM.

can you upload that ISO to the datastore again? or can you burn into a DVD and use it with the DVD passthrough (from the host into the VM)?

I have uploaded each new ISO i've downloaded. I can not burn a DVD because I built this machine without a DVD drive. I don't believe in DVD Drives or DVDs, useless medium since the day I started using it

I have uploaded each new ISO i've downloaded. I can not burn a DVD because I built this machine without a DVD drive. I don't believe in DVD Drives or DVDs, useless medium since the day I started using it

Then it sounds that the ISO is being corrupted when uploading to the datastore; you can download from it and check the hash to see if it matches.

Bring the ISO back off the datastore and onto your workstation and do another SHA1 check. Does it still match?

7-zip is great for quickly checking SHA1.

Get-FileHash filename.etx

:)

Bring the ISO back off the datastore and onto your workstation and do another SHA1 check. Does it still match?

7-zip is great for quickly checking SHA1.

You can also try connecting the ISO from local disk via vSphere Client.

So what is your specs on your vm you created.. You sure and the F do not need to create a 80GB drive for the vm..  You sure you have the Guest OS correct?  I would have to say your having issue with the iso file.

post-14624-0-89758600-1426340306.png

I can run through another install, but I have a running 2k12r2 for quite some time.  I have installed it a few times, etc.. 

I am currently running 5.5 build 2456374, but if 6 came out yesterday..  I know what I am doing today ;)

edit: that was quick and easy...

post-14624-0-00059000-1426343196.png

Now just need to upgrade tools on vms and hardware version. even though can not edit the stuff paste version 8, like to run the latest hw version 11

So what is your specs on your vm you created.. You sure and the F do not need to create a 80GB drive for the vm..  You sure you have the Guest OS correct?  I would have to say your having issue with the iso file.

attachicon.gif2k12esxi.png

I can run through another install, but I have a running 2k12r2 for quite some time.  I have installed it a few times, etc.. 

I am currently running 5.5 build 2456374, but if 6 came out yesterday..  I know what I am doing today ;)

edit: that was quick and easy...

attachicon.gifesxiupgrade.png

Now just need to upgrade tools on vms and hardware version. even though can not edit the stuff paste version 8, like to run the latest hw version 11

Hate to go off topic but...

pop in a USB key with 6.0.0, let it do its thing and done? I'm going to be doing the same on one of our lab ESXi servers this week I think. Someone has been bugging me about 6 for a while but I told him until it was FCS I'm not upgrading and he seemed to think release wasn't until June :s

yeah I downloaded the iso, put it to usb with rufus and booted the esxi box off the usb and upgraded my 5.5 to 6, easy peasy done in a few minutes. If doing in production, make sure you have backups. Mine is just home/lab if it crashed and burned on upgrade I could have it back in running in hour or so from scratch, etc. But production is a different story ;)